Scouter roles for 18-21 year olds

"We have many Scouts in the 18-21 yr old category and aside for the role as an ASM should these Scouts be allowed to sit on District Committees with the same authority as post 21 yr olds? District Eagle Boards of Review? "

I don't know.

I'm 20, and this will be my first year on district Committee. I was invited to the District's last Eagle BOR as an observer, but was unable to attend. The hope of the District Advancement guy is that I would start to serve on the BOR's after I've seen some, and "feel comfortable"

I'm also going to be part of the troop committee of a new troop being formed that my brother will be involved in. My Father will be an ASM, and my Mother will likely play a leading role on the committee... I would just be there as an extra experienced body.

Jon

"Can ONLY be an ASM"

How can I verify this... can you provide a source?? I'm not new to the orginization, only the adult/leadership side.

I've been told its ok, and haven't heard anything bad back.... I want to be SURE on this either way.

Thanks,

Jon

From the BSA Adult Application -

"All leaders must be 21 years of age or older, except assistant Scoutmasters, assistant den leaders, assistant Cubmasters, assistant Webelos den leaders, and assistant Varsity Scout coaches, who must be 18 or older."

I am aware of the rule-but my question is, I guess, how does one go about changing the rule.

My interest stems from the fact that I know of several ubder 21 scouts who have returned from Iraq and I believe they are good role models and should be given the opportunity to give back to scouting.

Opinions? Wisdom? Ideas? How about a poll on the idea?

If they are good role models, make them ASM's. There is no limit to the number you can have. Not many troops will turn down a willing volunteer. Make older scouters into committee members.

AS for changing the rule, only national can do that, and I don't see that happening. They want to avoid situations where an 18-20 yr old is the primary leaders.

I agree with nldscout. As for your question regarding Eagle BORs, I believe they would be eligble. Your DAC would have to invite them to participate. I think he would be more open to including them, however, if they were registered as an ASM with a troop. (Note, wouldn't be able to serve on BORs for their own troop, but for others in the district).

stlscouter says:

My interest stems from the fact that I know of several ubder 21 scouts who have returned from Iraq and I believe they are good role models and should be given the opportunity to give back to scouting.

Ok, but that being the case, I cannot think of a better role for these young adults than being an Assistant Scoutmaster. That position gives them a much better opportunity to be a "role model" than would a committee position or even a MB counselor position. (And of course an ASM can also be an MB counselor.) I say that because an ASM is generally working with the boys, while a committee member, as such, is generally working with other adults except for the occasional BOR. (I say "as such" because the role of a committee member can sometimes "expand," for example I am a committee member who attends most camping trips and semi-regularly helps with advancement at troop meetings, but that's not technically part of my "job," I do it because it helps the troop.)

Now, as I have said in the past, I have had an issue with our troop (and I think, many others) automatically making a "boy" an ASM on his 18th birthday so that he will not have to "leave" the troop, and expecting him to suddenly be a good adult leader. It rarely works that way. Usually they either continue to act like "one of the boys" which is no good for anybody; or are there only because their father is also a leader and father and son are still in the "habit" of attending meetings together; or they come to a few troop meetings and 1 or 2 camping trips and then fade away, or they go away to college and that's it. I find that the ones who do contribute something are those who have enough interest to come back during breaks from college, after they have had the chance to "mature" a little bit more, away from the troop. But once again, your returnees from military service would seem to fit the bill because they have had the chance to "grow up" a bit (indeed, they have had no choice but to do so) and, as you say, would be good role models (as long as they remember that Scouting is not the military.)

Interesting thread. I have to agree with NJ's observation. We have a number of ASMs, (they are 18) but still in High School. (well most graduated in June.) But, that seems to be the age group that is most challenging.

They may be 18, but lack life experience that promotes adult behavior. Occaisonally we'll have a 19 or 20 year old come back for a visit from college or the military and they are much more mature.

It's the 18 year olds still in High School, that are classified as adults by the BSA, but still relate to scouts they see in school everyday as peers.

I don't have answer's but this group seems to fall into a BSA no man'a land. They're not really adults, but are not allowed to be scouts either.

No answers, just an observation.

SA