The Outdoor Code

As an American, I will do my best to -

Be clean in my outdoor manners.

Be careful with fire.

Be considerate in the outdoors.

Be conservation minded.

Why does the Outdoor Code begin with "as an American ..." There is nothing specific in the code that one can only do as an American. I think that it is an inefficient use of language and should be removed. American citizenship is not a requirement for BSA membership so why include that phrase?

There are a few scouts in our Troop who were born in India, New Zealand and the U.K. What the protocol when reciting the Outdoor Code?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When in Rome, do as the Romans???   Or, maybe they don't worry if you burn down a Canadian, Mexican forest?   Or, maybe if you're not an American you don't need to worry about burning down Amer

Does that include Texicans?????

If they are not an "American" I would just substitute the word Scout or use whatever they call themselves. I also believe that being "American" is more of an idea than a legalistic citizenship term.

:) When in Rome, do as the Romans???

Or, maybe they don't worry if you burn down a Canadian, Mexican forest?

Or, maybe if you're not an American you don't need to worry about burning down American forests.????

Or, maybe we got a corner on the market for taking care of the outdoors???

These are as good a guess as any when it comes to the way the minds in Texas work. :)

And by the way, I challenge anyone out there to say my reasons aren't for real. :)

Stosh

• Downvote 1

Those who do not wish to profess Patriotism are free to not do so. Skip the first three words. There is nothing "inefficient" about being an American and proud of it. DS, are you also a proponent of removing the recital of the Pledge Of Allegiance from our public schools, too? It's terribly inefficient and redundant to do it every day!

Brewmeister: You are correct, and you haven't done anything but tell the truth.

And I suppose that being "an American" could mean anyone from the Western Hemisphere (North and South America along with associated islands). Not that that helps DS's Indians, Kiwis, or Brits :D

[EDIT]On a slightly more serious note, the "A" in BSA stands for America. Another requirement states that you must recite the Pledge of Allegiance. That is many units' opening ceremony. DS, do you ask your "foreigners" to pledge allegiance to the flag of the USA? Are they required to know that?

As jblake said, "When in Rome". If a Scout born in the USA were to join Scouting in Japan (whatever that organization is named) he would be expected to know or learn their requirements; why shouldn't any member of the BSA -- no matter their birthplace?[/EDIT]

And I suppose that being "an American" could mean anyone from the Western Hemisphere (North and South America along with associated islands). Not that that helps DS's Indians, Kiwis, or Brits :D

[EDIT]On a slightly more serious note, the "A" in BSA stands for America. Another requirement states that you must recite the Pledge of Allegiance. That is many units' opening ceremony. DS, do you ask your "foreigners" to pledge allegiance to the flag of the USA? Are they required to know that?

As jblake said, "When in Rome". If a Scout born in the USA were to join Scouting in Japan (whatever that organization is named) he would be expected to know or learn their requirements; why shouldn't any member of the BSA -- no matter their birthplace?[/EDIT]

Non-Americans can take the Pledge of Allegiance just like a citizen; nothing excludes them in the pledge's language. We have non-citizens in our military who defend our country and I would expect them to pledge allegiance to our country.

While patriotism is often over done and even flaunted by some, there is nothing wrong with using the generic term American. If, for some reason that really is bothersome, then just put whatever you want there; but try and be civil. Geeeez!