X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting for a few dollars more.

Membership fees will increase to $24/year. Two bucks a month is not too painful for me. However it's a bit of a pain during recruitment time to tell folks it's one price and then come back with an "update."

BOY SCOUTS | Chief Scout executive denies the 60 percent increase in annual membership dues is a sign of fiscal crisis within the Boy Scouts of America

Here is a more "official" document of the increase.
    Last edited by WAKWIB; 09-01-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Yup...welcome to the fact that National is being sued and The Summit has cost overruns. National should have gotten it out to the local Councils sooner to help communicate sooner. I suspect that even if they did, how many Scout Units actually would have gotten the word. So many only see the DE at Re-Charter time anyway.

Comment

Way to go, BSA. It's now more expensive for my youth to register with you than it is for them to go climbing for a day. Please explain to them again why they should bother?

Comment

I have never been involved in the rechartering process , but I will be this year. The pack I am with has a registration fee that is collected in September usually $70-80 that includes BSA fee, book, necker, slide, t shirt and maybe some pack events like PWD. I know recharged happens sometime in December/January timeframe. Does this mean we have to go back and rework our budget or modify our registration fee ?

Comment

• Scouter99
            Scouter99 commented
            Editing a comment
            How far away is the scout shop? If you're passing down the cost anyway, why become middle man on the book, neckerchief, and slide? Cut them, factor in the fee increase, voila you've lowered the pack fee.

• King Ding Dong
            King Ding Dong commented
            Editing a comment
            About 15 miles. Not sure why the pack does it this way, but I would hazard that one reason is 1 car trip versus 50.

• Scouter99
            Scouter99 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, that close I'd yank it. They already have to drive over there for the uniform, so it's not really saving any trips.

Where is the influx of cash from United Way and corporations headed by BSA national board members advocating the membership rule change? Oh, that's right, corporations generally do not donate to cover overhead and operating expenses.

Is the annual dues increase factored to accommodate the downturn in revenue from the "acceptable membership losses" anticipated at charter renewal? At the August meeting of my district committee it was announced the DEs have no goal to increase the number of units, rather the focus is on maintaining the current number of units and membership levels..

Comment

• Kristian
            Kristian commented
            Editing a comment
            its definitely concerning that despite the fact membership has pretty much decreased every single year national overhead an expenses has pretty much doubled in past decade. donors would certainly be making the right choice of simply not donating as little of their money actually benefits scouts but instead goes to employee salaries and benefits.

after the failure to set a consistent membership standard over the past few decades or understand the concept of equal rights having a de who simply didn't loose members would probably be doing a pretty good job.

My favorite tid bit from the linked article

Reporting by WORLD and other news organizations indicate that salaries of senior executives also played a role in the increased costs. According to Reuters, spending on salaries, insurance, and programs by the national headquarters nearly doubled between 2003 and 2012.

Comment

• skeptic
            skeptic commented
            Editing a comment
            While much of the time I am put off by perceived negativism, this time I agree completely Basement. They might easily have cut the increase to half or so, just by reducing the inflated salaries of the guys at the top, especially at the National level. Cut all of them by 50% and do not pay any local head guy more than 3x his lowest paid underling exec. Even here in California, if you make at least 100K as a family, you should be able to live a balanced life unless you have far too many kids. Just my usual opinion of course.

"A Scout is Thrifty"
            Last edited by skeptic; 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM. Reason: Add tag

The words from an old song popped into my head when I first read the article I linked.
          "Send lawyers, guns and money..."~Warren Zevon.

Comment

• DuctTape
            DuctTape commented
            Editing a comment
            I went to college with Warren Zevon's cousin.

• WAKWIB
            WAKWIB commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the link, BD!

• Basementdweller
            Basementdweller commented
            Editing a comment
            Music the way it supposed to be.....

$24 is chump change compared to any sport, and it's the rare kid in our troop who isn't doing at least 2 sports or band, etc. On the drive home from last weekend's trip one of our scouts who swims was telling the car about the $200 Speedos he bought, wore twice, and threw out (lady at the store said don't rinse them, it'll ruin them, opposite was true).

Comment

• Kristian
            Kristian commented
            Editing a comment
            Its not the fact that the 24 is really that much money but rather that the average scout receives absolutely NO BENEFIT from paying this. none of this money actually supports the local or troop program. its the troop dues/fundraising that are a more significant ammount and actually help the scout.

yes competitive sports are expensive with all the gear purchases but as many would agree camping equipment can be just as expensive when you choose to or need to buy the best.

In the grand budget of a scouting year the extra $9 is nothing....

Not sure what the Chief Execs salary is but how may youth memberships does it take to pay it at $24 a head......Or how much donated money that is supposed to go to the boys ends up in being spent on his salary.

Comment

• Kristian
            Kristian commented
            Editing a comment
            according to the most recent 990 i could find in 2011 the cse makes 980,755 in total compensation per year. so thats equal to the membership fees of 40,865 scouts.

its at the local level that the numbers look much much worse with the local se's making significantly more per scout.

It may be chump change for some in more affluent areas of the country but hardly the case in my area. We still scrape together uniforms for some of our families and have had to recruit sponsors to pay the fees of those in need. Our group includes single parents, grandparents with custody, and several families working multiple low paying jobs. We are the only "game" in town for most families as they certainly cannot afford the sports teams that you have mentioned.
          In order to sell the increase you have to show value. Pretty difficult to explain that the poor budgeting and cost overruns by National are our problem to fund.
          The members of the pack still must pay for uniforms, monthly dues, fuel costs, and the cost for each event. Families with 2 plus kids plus a volunteer leader have significant costs each year.
          Interesting that it appears they are doing away with the scholarship program in the future. The old number 15 was easy to explain, 24 gets more difficult. This will have a negative effect on
          the minority recruiting as well. I suppose that nationals attitude was similar as after all Its only 9 dollars.

Comment

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            I am SM for a minority troop lots of latinos and African american most low income.......

$9 isn't a deal breaker........

Sell another box of popcorn or two.....or candy bars or what ever sort of fundraiser you do.....

The scholarship program is a council level thing as is the free uniform and books...... our DE made it such a hassle getting the books in uniforms I just gave up....Ya I did exactly what he wanted me to do....But we also stopped contributing to the Friends of Scouting, Fund our Salaries, Campaign....As it is a complete lie.....The money is not used to pay for programing or uniforms.

Uniforms....call your local goodwill or American kidney foundation or other thrift store and get put on the call list for when they come in....Depends on the mood of the manager sometimes we get them free other times $10 each.....but they have the council strips and world scouting crest...all we need to do is add the pack or troop number.

Thanks BD,
          Our DE is just as effective as yours in getting us the uniforms and books! We also feel the same regarding FOS and the obnoxious presentation from our rep. Our pack has had some
          success with Goodwill etc however these stores now have large numbers of resellers grabbing the scouting items and selling them on ebay.
          Our pack does Popcorn sale as its only fundraiser. We do not have individual scout accounts at the cub level thus the registration, insurance, boys life and dues remains
          the responsibility of the parent.
          I believe that it is an apples and oranges comparison between cubs and scouts with regard to costs and how to pay for them.
          Last edited by eaglewolfdad; 09-01-2013, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if that is why I haven't got a call from the good will store in a while...

• Flyingfish
            Flyingfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Side issue--> Have you guys ever heard the rumor that "National" has some sort of an agreement with Goodwill & Salvation Army to NOT resell uniform items? If this is true, what do they do with the uniforms? Throw them in the trash? I have boys in my district that could really use a $6 uniform.

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            I call Bull pucky.......

Get off your butt and look for them on ebay, craigslist or any of the other thrift stores.

BD, a couple of additional thoughts. Our membership demographics mirror yours. 20 dollar bags of popcorn are not the big sellers around here. The councils that surround
          us have had very good success selling camp cards however our SE refuses to allow it. Other parts of our council have some success selling popcorn so he does not want
          to harm his flow of revenue. We are allowed free camping at our council reservations if we qualify as an Honor unit. To qualify we must sell popcorn and allow the FOS presentation
          to occur. At this time there is not a quota on how much popcorn you must sell or how much you give to FOS. If you can sell one bag of popcorn and contribute 1 dollar to FOS you get free fees to the council camps

Comment

• King Ding Dong
            King Ding Dong commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe we should start erecting tent cities in front of the Council offices.

• qwazse
            qwazse commented
            Editing a comment
            KDD, the 99%-ers set up camp just down the road from our HQ, so we know it's doable. Since then the neighboring site of the former Mellon (a.k.a. Civic) arena was cleared for parking, and debate is ongoing as to what, if anything could be done next.

I always thought we could use an inner city scout camp!
            Last edited by qwazse; 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM.

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            I vote with my feet....

Don't use the council camps...

I turned in a few forms at Roundtable Nd was told by my DE I underpaid at 5/scout for four months (which is what my form says) and its 10/scout. I was confused but figured I used an old form. The only reason I know why is this post here. Not a huge deal, but wish this was presented less poorly. I wish I knew I'd have bumped up our annual dues a few bucks. I guess I should revise my budget. At the troop level, it's sell one more box of popcorn, at the cub level it's annoying.

Comment

We just voted at our leader meeting less than 2 weeks ago to raise this year's dues by $10. Many of our families were not donating to Friends of Scouting. Although we didn't plan on advertising it as an FOS donation (didn't want families to go, "Gee, didn't I already give my whopping $10?"), we intended to use that extra $10 per person to donate to the FOS campaign. Now it looks like it's all going directly to National instead. Still a bargain compared to other extra-curricular activities, but wouldn't it be better to know about these dues increases before you start your fall recruitment? They should be making these decisions in June or July.

Comment

• WAKWIB
              WAKWIB commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't forget the lawyers. A few significant civil suits against BSA in regards to molestation are percolating around the country. There is a nasty one starting up in Washington state involving 12 plaintiffs. How many millions is that going to cost??

"Send lawyers, guns and money...the $#!T has hit the fan!"

• FrankScout
              FrankScout commented
              Editing a comment
              My Pack and Troop leaders are NOT going to be happy about this. Let the fundraisers begin! (And I DON'T mean popcorn!)

• Beavah
              Beavah commented
              Editing a comment
              Yah, hmmm.... Just a thought for yeh dedkad. If a family gives money to FOS, then they can claim da tax deduction, eh? If they pay dues to da troop or pack, then they can't. Doesn't quite seem trustworthy or fair for yeh to do what yeh were originally thinkin'. Of course now it doesn't matter!
          Working...
          X