Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the youth in your unit don't think the program they receive is worth an extra $10 a year??????

Not trying to insult you here. But either they just aren't that into it, The program is not that great, The kids don't like each other or they simply don't have the money.

Comment

• qwazse
      qwazse commented
      Editing a comment
      Times are tight for a couple of them. But for $28 (that's what it is factoring liability and accident insurance), they could go to someones farm/camp, have one fine weekend with their mates, AND pitch in on a light-weight service project somewhere.

So it's become a choice between enjoying that extra weekend of scouting, or giving it up so they can have "BSA" stitched on what they do once they've saved up the $$ to venture out again. In fact, I expect a couple of those who dropped will come back and register for part of the year if they manage to make ends meet.

The kids who did renew seem to like each other. So, throwing those dimes down is a gesture of commitment to one another. Some of them are paid for by parents who believe in the organization, but a lot of these kids have their own jobs and are responsible for paying for their own extracurriculars, so it's a matter of pride or friendship to them.

Originally posted by qwazse View Post
    So, the final numbers are in. I lost four youth from my crew because the registration fee was more than they were prepared to pay or raise funds for. That is 30%.

Still, a $10 gain for the BSA. National's loss of about $80 from the youth who dropped is offset by the $90 gain from increased fees on the remaining paid youth.
    Come on, Q. I'm on a homemade soup budget right now, I understand tight. They had 4 months to save 10 more dollars. You say they weren't "prepared to pay" that much--did they not know it was higher this year?

Comment

• qwazse
      qwazse commented
      Editing a comment
      dcs's statement below pretty much sums it up. I used "prepared" in the sense of "unwilling, in light of value returned,".

I'm sorry to hear that Q but I totally get it. The question isn't whether kids can save up $10, the question is value. And it's not the value of the program Q is providing but the value of the BSA brand on the program.

To be a bit pedantic Value is loosely defined as the proportion of quality to cost. If the cost in the denominator rises without a proportional increase in quality the value decreases. The BSA has hit their value proposition breaking point for some folks.

I think about this in terms of cars. I personally believe anybody that would pay $50K for a Mercedes is an idiot when you can get a perfectly serviceable Ford Taurus for $30K that will take you to all the same places as the Mercedes. Even though I could afford the extra for the car why the heck would I spend it on transportation when I can spend it on something more fun?

Comment

Working...
    X