Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: My council JUST announced the fee increase this morning: In small print, in the margin of their monthly newsletter. Hey, thanks!

Comment

Discussed this with our committee last night. We are thinking that we will ditch Boy's Life, make a $3 profit, and tell the parents and the boys that we are doing it for their benefit - it's in line with Leave No Trace policies, reducing household waste, and divert the funds into supporting our FB page. We won't mention the negative impact on the scouts, losing a valued source of information and inspiration. See, we HAVE learned a lot from Irving!

Comment

• Scouter99
        Scouter99 commented
        Editing a comment
        You had me for a second because that is exactly what some slick willy goofball said he's doing in the blog comments.

Now that I recently stepped down as a unit leader, I will definitely not miss messing with fees, dues, and the politics of popcorn fundraisers. Even if I was not coordinator or contact of these activities, I always got pulled-in to the administration of it. I grew frustrated with BSA professionals not giving the whole story of the actual annual cost of Scouting.

I did not care for DE's being at recruitment functions because they usually got it wrong or chose to withhold information. You don't tell a parent that Cub Scouts only cost $15 a year. Duh. They mainly did this to get the recruitment numbers for the Fall without any regard for long-term membership sustainability.

Comment

I think I have come up with a solution to this whole mess over in the Bible Statistics thread.

Comment

60 percent more money going to National Irving Scouting.

Does this mean that we'll see a 60% increase in bureaucrats making up rules about things that we can't do in order to justify their salaries?

60% more useless rules?
          60% more people wasting our time on CYA training?
          60% more paperwork?

$9 a year ain't gonna break me.

But 60% more rules, training, and paperwork will certainly have me searching for the door.

There's a 'Conservative Scouting Movement'?
          Hungry.

Comment

• Callooh! Callay!
            Callooh! Callay! commented
            Editing a comment
            Robert Conquest’s Three Laws of Politics:
            1. Everyone is conservative about what he knows best.
            2. Any organization not explicitly right-wing sooner or later becomes left-wing.
            3. The simplest way to explain the behavior of any bureaucratic organization is to assume that it is controlled by a cabal of its enemies.

I believe that the insurance fees that go to National are the liability insurance fees. The fees charged by Councils are usually for accident insurance.

Comment

• FrankScout
            FrankScout commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I stand corrected,

There was a link to a nbc new story on Bryan this morning.....I shows that the Summit is costing way more than anyone expected....

So why don't they come out and say......Opps, we screwed up and need more money.....This $9 goes to the BSA Adventure bases.

Comment

BD while many would understand a $9 fee to help pay for the high adventure bases, my cub scout parents would be questioning why they have to
          pay for something that they will probably never use, or at least not for many years....

I can see reason behind just not providing boy's life anymore. The BSA fee is $24, local council accident insurance is 1.20 a year(not a bad price at all!) adding in $12 for boy's Life puts the total at $37.20 per year just to sign up. Then we gotta collect something towards the unit costs or require more fundraising to offset the cost of scouting somehow.

Comment

I'm sure National is losing money on selling Handbooks and other printed resources, as the world converts to e-books. Could this be a part of covering the losses?

Comment

• Basementdweller
              Basementdweller commented
              Editing a comment
              It should be required that the editors should have been Boy Scouts as youth.

• DuctTape
              DuctTape commented
              Editing a comment
              Former Scout is not enough, IMO. They should have achieved mastery in the specific scoutcraft section to which they edit. Without said mastery, it increases the potential to eliminate that which is not understood. Since so much has been eliminated, it is reasonable to believe the editor was not competent in the content. Only experts in the craft should be writing the rules and guidelines. Not sideline, business leaders.

• Kudu
              Kudu commented
              Editing a comment
              DuctTape: Mastery of Scoutcraft? Note that the EDGE Method now appears in the Scoutcraft section of the handbook! In Scoutmaster-specific training, the Patrol Method "experts" eliminated from the twenty-minute Patrol Method presentation that which they did not understand: Specifically the Patrol Leader and any description of a working Patrol, and replaced them with the EDGE Method and a fake Baden-Powell quote.

The quality of the physical handbooks is remarkably inferior. Pages fall out all the time. Maybe National can design e-books that delete a couple pages of Scoutcraft every time you use them. After a while all that's left is EDGE!

Like others, the increase in membership fees did not arrive until AFTER we collected renewals for the coming year! We had an impromptu meeting with parents about this and that Popcorn selling is starting and the Council/District is broke and no one wants to sell popcorn and Council want to increase their percentage on all fundraisers and no one is reporting fundraising and why do we need Council and we need more equipment and fundraising takes away from program activities and...

Everyone is tired of the "nickel and diming" of the basic program - membership dues, fundraising, FOS,... from this meeting, the stated preference was a published budget and yearly fee with no fundraising (except for a HA trip and Eagle projects), no FOS, pay and you go system for activities and awards. The yearly fee or what some called the true cost of scouting was estimated at $200 which would be split among the unit, Council,and National.

I hear virtually the same at PTA and sports meetings. No one wants to sell/buy candy, popcorn, gift wrap, ...

My 2 aspirin,

Comment

Ya know this is pushing the need to update our unit practices. From when membership was $10, our policy was to be liberal on rechartering scouts. Did not pay but looked active, recharter. Paid but have not seen them for six to ten months, recharter. Unit leader who only does admin stuff now and then, recharter.

Now we have a $700 increased recharter bill. I can GUARANTEE you that we will be changing practice. Did not pay - not rechartering. Paid, but have not seen or heard from for many months, not rechartering. 5th grade Webelos 2 who is transfering to a troop in a few months AND NEEDS TO FILL OUT A NEW APPLICATION FOR THAT TROOP, we may not recharter them in december. 5th grade Webelos 2 who we guess will not continue into Boy Scouts, we definitely will not recharter them in December. If there is an advancement issue, we could always date their advancement Decembe 31st (before they are dropped from the roster). This could save us $100 to $200 or so itself.

The bigger impact will be unit leaders. We currently have about 15 registered leaders. That WILL change. We will make sure we have one registered leader per den plus a cubmaster and committee chair. As for the rest, we will only recharter the MINIMUM needed by the recharter. That means we could potentially knock 5 or 6 adults off the recharter. That itself is $120 to $148 dollar difference.

SUGGESTION - Units should revisit their policies for who is listed on the recharter. This WILL be a membership hit, but so be it. People forget that members pay the units and units pay the recharter. When the units see a $500 to $1000 increase in cost, they will think about changes in how they recharter. I and three of my sons are registered curently. This is a $96 increase for just my family !!!

Comment

• fred johnson
                fred johnson commented
                Editing a comment
                We viewed it as more complex. Until this year, we rechartered in March but collect yearly dues in September. So our pack dues (that include BSA membership) was collected in the fall.

- So if someone paid, we rechartered them.

- If after asking and asking, they still had not paid ... BUT THEIR SCOUT PARTICIPATED ... we rechartered them.

- We also paid for any adult leader that helped during the year. They got the magazine and contacts from the council.

The big one for us will be 2nd year Webelos. We now recharter in December. If they look like they will not continue, we are not going to recharter them for a year even though they are done in two months.

We're just going to be significantly more agressive not rechartering scouts.

• Basementdweller
                Editing a comment
                Ok I get it... We recharter in December and we collect in November.

So I know who is going to do scouting and who is out..... I use email, and phone to see if they are interested..... you get two emails and two calls then your out.....

I have three that I haven't seen since summer camp...The way it stands now they will not get rechartered.

Far as not rechartering the second year webelo.....if they cross in feb or march that will screw up the documentation of their arrow of light.....I would ask the parents before just not rechartering them..... I would ask the parents to pay for it before just dropping them.

• fred johnson
                fred johnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Basementdweller ... Agreed. We can always do the Arrow of Light. The documentation is only an issue if they continue to Boy Scouts. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter. I'm just trying to find a way to reduce the $650 extra rechartering bill that our pack has this year. We will survive, but we were already tight for funds.

Time to face facts. National doesnt give a Rats Crap about their timing of this announced price increase. They are fully aware of when recharter occurs and are fully aware of the JTE requirement for units to have a budget in place. They are screwed from the Summit cost overruns and don't have guts to say so. What ticks me off is being asked by council to absorb this increase, hold FOS and now financially and boots on the ground help with Inner city cub groups. Blood from a stone

Comment

Am I the only person baffled every time someone lists "FoS" as a cost of Scouting/part of their budget? We give the presentation, people give what they give. Yes, we always get more than our goal, but it's not a "cost" and it's not in our budget.

Comment

I wouldn't find this so hard to swallow if I hadn't chatted up an employee from National while waiting for my flight at DFW Friday. As the unwashed masses made our way back to coach, he was sprawled out in First Class.

Comment

• Basementdweller
                    Editing a comment
                    Thinking of a lot of words right now......All of them very appropriate and none of them very nice......

• sasha
                    sasha commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This doesn't bother me. He may travel frequently enough to earn the upgrade or use personal miles from a credit card or similar. Lots of reasons other than the obvious, that he is spending 'our' money for his own comfort.

This whole organization is more and more like one of those seedy "churches" that keep taking money from gullible people while their leaders jet around the country and live in million dollar mansions...and we just keep giving it to them!

Comment

• Basementdweller
                    Editing a comment
                    The big difference I see is it is $24. The big seedy churches may you tithe. Have one locally that several of my familys attend and one of the wolf scout years ago tell me that you have to buy your way into heaven..... Caused a bit of a ruckus with his den mates and parents.

I have never donated to national.....Nor will I donate to council.....Far as I am concerned they can merge and sell most of the camps, I can't afford to camp at them anyhow.

• King Ding Dong
                    King Ding Dong commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They charge for Boy Scouts to short term camp ? Ours charges for Cubs, but it includes facilities.

• Basementdweller
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep up to $100 a night depending on camp and the specific campsite. Also head count.
                Working...
                X