Merit Badge Counselor youth protection

Can someone point me to a definitive answer on this question - Can a Merit Badge Counselor meet separately with two youth working on a MB (i.e. no other adults) each acting as the others "buddy"?

I realize this is not the ideal situation however logistically it is very helpful at this time with limited adult help.

The Merit Badge counselor instructions state the all meeting between Scout and Counselor must include a buddy which can be a parent, relative, or friend - adult or youth is acceptable.

However, Youth Protection states that you need two adults at all times.

Can someone show me an official declaration on this situation in writing that Counselor and two youth is acceptable?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Youth Protection training does not state that you need two adults at all times. See the list of "Scouting's Barriers to Abuse" here: http://www.scouting.org/youthprotection.aspx. Two adult leaders a

Youth Protection training does not state that you need two adults at all times. See the list of "Scouting's Barriers to Abuse" here: http://www.scouting.org/youthprotection.aspx. Two adult leaders are required for all "outings", but a merit badge session is not an outing. The second bullet point applies: "One-on-one contact between adults and youth members prohibited." Youth Protection policies seem to often be interpreted to be more difficult than they really are. Don't add restrictions that don't exist.

• Upvote 1

What Tim said.

Yours is actually the ideal situation IMHO. Unless the second adult actually adds something to the instruction (e.g. a fellow climbing instructor), he/she can be more of a distraction.

And like Son #2 said to me "You can put up with nearly anything, no matter how boring, if you have a friend with you!"

The two adults at all times is one of those scouting myths we talk about from time to time. When I was our OA Chapter Adviser, I had an SM who wouldn't drive the 4 boys from his troop to the Ordeal because he didn't have a second adult to come with him. If it's a single boy, you need a second adult. If it is multiple boys, you do not. No one on one. As long as you have "witnesses" who can say you were never alone with a boy, you're good. That's why the old school way of MB's (non-class setting) is to have a buddy.

As long as you don't put yourself in a one on one situation, you're good to go. For example, if I counsel an MB at home, I ask 'em to bring a buddy. I usually prefer to do them in public places like the library, or a coffee shop whenever possible. You get the idea..

As long as you don't put yourself in a one on one situation, you're good to go. For example, if I counsel an MB at home, I ask 'em to bring a buddy. I usually prefer to do them in public places like the library, or a coffee shop whenever possible. You get the idea..
Just tell the librarian what is going on.....
Oh yes, always.

Thanks Tim in NJ. However, the Safe Scouting policy is still contradictory.

"One-on-one contact between adults and youth members prohibited. In any situation requiring a personal meeting, such as a Scoutmaster's conference, the meeting is to be conducted in view of other adults and youths"

My read of this says the meeting is to be conducted in view of other adults AND youth. This implies an adult is necessary and mandatory. It does not say "other adults OR youth".

Am I missing something?

"One-on-one contact between adults and youth members prohibited. In any situation requiring a personal meeting, such as a Scoutmaster's conference, the meeting is to be conducted in view of other adults and youths"

My read of this says the meeting is to be conducted in view of other adults AND youth. This implies an adult is necessary and mandatory. It does not say "other adults OR youth".

Am I missing something?

That's just saying there shouldn't be any closed door meetings if you have to meet one-on-one with a Scout for a SMC or to resolve a discipline issue.

Do it across the room, or at a picnic table across the clearing. The other youth and adults in attendance can see that nothing inappropriate is transpiring between the two of you, but the content of the conversation between the two of you is private.

As an MBC, you shouldn't need to discuss any personal issues one-on-one. Therefore this doesn't apply to you.

Am I missing something?

TSS_Chris, with all due respect, I think you are taking great liberties with how you are interpreting this very specific statement regarding Youth Protection and Safe Scouting. To say this doesn't apply to me because of some other situation that you "think" this is referencing is inaccurate.

A personal meeting is really just a conversation between two people. It does not have to be about a discipline issue. It could be a personal discussion about how the scout was going to accomplish a specific MB requirement. And it would be covered under this policy statement regarding one-on-one contact.

Am I missing something?

Nope I think you got it K.

I hold SMC's in the back of the fellowship hall in plain view of the troop......There may or may not be adults in the room.....I never hold an SMC a crossed a table just two folding chairs in the back of the room, close enough we can hear each other.

Am I missing something?

You're giving the word "and" more weight than it carries.

Your context is merit badge counseling. If you're not planning to hold the sessions during a regular troop meeting, your interpretation that you must be in view of both adults and youth is near impossible. You cannot guarantee that you will always be in view of adults and youth at the same time in any public place. I use Starbucks, it's public and I'm an addict. Your interpretation would mean that if I walked into Starbucks and there's no minors around I call my MB appointment and tell them to hang around on the sidewalk until they see a kid walk in.

We see quickly that the meaning of the rule is as simple as its name: No one-on-one contact. That can be achieved in a number of ways that don't require overcomplication over the word "and."

Am I missing something?

Thanks Scouter99. Yes, agreed, I may be giving more weight to the word "and". However, my troop does not allow MB session without two adults (i.e. "two deep leadership") and I am trying to find something in writing that says MB counselor and just youth (and a minimum of two is possible at times) is acceptable for a merit badge class in a private setting at our unit's meeting place. I have not found it yet. I have found policy statements that are close but nothing definitive.

Am I missing something?

http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/Supplemental/MeritBadgeCounselorInstructorsGuide.aspx

The Merit Badge Process

The requirements for each merit badge appear in the current BSA merit badge pamphlet for that award and in the current edition of the Boy Scout Requirements book, available at Scout shops and council service centers.

When a Scout has decided on a merit badge he would like to earn, he obtains from his Scoutmaster the name and phone number of the district/council-approved merit badge counselor. At this time, the Scoutmaster also can issue the Scout a signed Application for Merit Badge (blue card).

The Scout telephones the merit badge counselor to make an appointment, and together they schedule a date and time for the Scout and his buddy to meet. The counselor suggests that the Scout bring the merit badge pamphlet, the Application for Merit Badge, and any work that he has started or accomplished, and that he prepare by reading over the requirements.

I have done MB's in my home with a single scout. However, either my wife or the parents of the boy are required to be in attendance, if only one boy is doing the MB. I.e. Bugling is difficult to get one boy to attend, let alone 2. Two-deep does not require two registered adults, just two adults one of which must be registered (MB counselor). Preferably my second has always been the boy's parent(s).

Stosh