Troop interaction with Pack, and "hook" to keep the cubs in scouting

I've been trying to help my CO's troop re-engage with the pack, and get support for the pack at the same time.

More and more of our boys are crossing into other troops, since our troop has been shrinking. I think there were also some other issues, either with a leader or perhaps some of the boys that have since aged out. Anyway, they are now "under new management" and growing.

I put the question out to or Committee chair, which is also the new SM.... But I figured I's put the same question out here to see what ideas you folks might have....

Can you think of any cool stuff that scouts do that might be a good demonstration for the cubs? I'm just wondering if there's some sort of cool demonstration or "hook" that the cubs would enjoy watching or depending on what it is even participating in.... you know something that might inspire them to say "I can't wait to be a Boy Scout!", or something that would help connect the two things in their minds.... pioneering stuff maybe? Maybe scouts presenting something cool they did at summer camp?

Maybe there's nothing simple enough that would work or maybe the ages and interests are too far apart.... I'm just thinking out loud of ways to sink a long term hook, and also get some free entertainment for a pack meeting!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience ALL cubs find teenage boys fascinating! Lead a game, demonstrate cooking (with samples), do a 5 minute talk on why to be a boy scout (communications MB), den chief, help the cubs pick up trash ... Be tall with big muscles and a bit of acne... Do it often, not just once in a demonstration.

Don't over think this.

The troop reap what it sows.... The troop needs to host the Webelos on several camp outs a year. We host a webelo camp out in the spring and fall. Our SPL goes to Webelos resident camp with the den..... his job is to be the rock star. Sunglasses ball hat on backwards strutting around.....the cubs loved him for it..... he was the star of the camp..... we had other dens hanging with ours....to play with him.... he ran games during slow periods. He was big brother. Our troop helps with the spring family camp as well. We meet at the same time and place as the pack....no den chiefs......

All the above. In theory a Den Chief is the troops biggest PR asset. I have not seen a helpful den chief yet. Have the troop lead the pack meeting. Gives the Scouts great experience and show the parents a bit of what you are trying to achieve in cubs. You have to sell parents also. Troop helps Cub Dads carry equipment and set up tent at pack campout.

My Webelos are spending this fall shopping around for a Scout troop to join. The two top-contenders both offer active programs and look like they would be fun for the boys. Building relationships with the boys starting when they are 1st year Webelos, if not sooner, and having several joint activities over a period of time would have a bigger impact on the boys than a single "wow" event. Ultimately the boys are going to go where they feel comfortable, and they feel comfortable with people they know and like.

All the above. In theory a Den Chief is the troops biggest PR asset. I have not seen a helpful den chief yet. Have the troop lead the pack meeting. Gives the Scouts great experience and show the parents a bit of what you are trying to achieve in cubs. You have to sell parents also. Troop helps Cub Dads carry equipment and set up tent at pack campout.
Depends on the quality of the den chiefs.... like you I have yet to see a decent den cheif or one I would consider a good recruiter.

One could argue my spl was the den chief but it was only for the 5 day s of the resident camp.... He basically played with the boys....

He did not have to sit them down in a class room setting and try to get stuff done.

Don't like the Pack meeting idea, It is tough enough for even an experienced CM to keep the attention of 40 boys. SPL wouldn't stand a chance.

Don't overlook the power of action photography on Facebook.

"Here's what my son Jimmy did this weekend!"

Kudu you need to remember that social media is moving faster than you or I can conceive. Facebook is so yesterday as my son says.....He uses twitter and instagram and pintrest for most of his stuff now.

We have a Web page, facebook , instagram, twitter and pintrest account for the troop.......It is more than a full time job posting to all of them and then parent complain about duplicate information on the pages.

Don't overlook the power of action photography on Facebook.

"Here's what my son Jimmy did this weekend!"

@KDD: If they answer "Yes" to the second question of Part B of the medical form, you have all the permission you'll ever need to post their photos.

You do have a copy of a medical form for everyone on your trips, right?

As people on this forum know, IMHO, I think the concept of "troop shopping" is a broken BSA concept. Hurts troops and damages relationships and just gives cubs an excuse to quit. Heck why promote a big decision after five years of scouting? If ya don't like the unit the charter org had you in for Cub Scouts, you are welcome to switch at any time. Instead, you offer a big decision after five years of scouting. Heck, the best decision I know after five years of Cub Scouting is to try something new. Karate. Sports. Other.

I feel hard on this one because our local DEs get good reviews if they start a new troop. The result, we have more troops than our packs can support. And from what I see, all the troops are "fairly" good. What I really get frustrated at is that "troop shopping" doesn't show you what the troops are really like. What's good. What's not. Instead what you see are the troops that look good on that day and that market themselves very hard. I fully believe in recruitment and helping packs. Fine. But we have a perverted over-emphasis on recruitment and troops marketing to all packs in our city. In fact, one of the troops that markets the best and looks the best is a troop that I would not want my sons in and that never actually helps any of the packs. Mainly because they recruit from ALL the packs in the city. Frustrating.

Den Chiefs .. yet another mostly broken concept. It's a great role for boy scouts to have because it's almost an automatic advancement role. I have yet to see a den chief that makes the program less work. And they are essentially undependable. My experience is that at best you learn a week in advance if they will be there. Often you never know in advance and they may or may not show up. I fully understand. If the pack and troop met on the same night in the same place, it might work. But different locations, different nights, etc. It's another idealistt

As people on this forum know, IMHO, I think the concept of "troop shopping" is a broken BSA concept. Hurts troops and damages relationships and just gives cubs an excuse to quit. Heck why promote a big decision after five years of scouting? If ya don't like the unit the charter org had you in for Cub Scouts, you are welcome to switch at any time. Instead, you offer a big decision after five years of scouting. Heck, the best decision I know after five years of Cub Scouting is to try something new. Karate. Sports. Other.

I feel hard on this one because our local DEs get good reviews if they start a new troop. The result, we have more troops than our packs can support. And from what I see, all the troops are "fairly" good. What I really get frustrated at is that "troop shopping" doesn't show you what the troops are really like. What's good. What's not. Instead what you see are the troops that look good on that day and that market themselves very hard. I fully believe in recruitment and helping packs. Fine. But we have a perverted over-emphasis on recruitment and troops marketing to all packs in our city. In fact, one of the troops that markets the best and looks the best is a troop that I would not want my sons in and that never actually helps any of the packs. Mainly because they recruit from ALL the packs in the city. Frustrating.

Den Chiefs .. yet another mostly broken concept. It's a great role for boy scouts to have because it's almost an automatic advancement role. I have yet to see a den chief that makes the program less work. And they are essentially undependable. My experience is that at best you learn a week in advance if they will be there. Often you never know in advance and they may or may not show up. I fully understand. If the pack and troop met on the same night in the same place, it might work. But different locations, different nights, etc. It's another idealistt

I am a firm believer in the feeder pack concept.....

Our program is integrated to the point that parents wonder why they need to fill out an application to join the troop.

I think a Guide to Troop Shopping would be a great thread. As BD keeps yelling at me to find a new troop. When you are on the outside what exactly are you looking for ?

One bit of advise I received was to show up at a troop meeting unannounced and just hang back in a corner like you were an uncle dropping your nephew off. Do you think hanging out in a blind with binoculars and a parabolic microphone at campout might be a little creepy? :)