So this weekend i started doing scout craft with my son at home. What does this mean.....

When lighting the fire for the grill make him use his firestater instead of a lighter.

I am tring to think of some other things where he can practice his skills on a daily basis and not just know them from the checkout but so he can retain the information.

any ideas?

When my boys were small, we would each be responsible for one dinner per week. When it was their turn, we often had hot dogs, mac and cheese, or "breakfast for dinner", but it was their choice and they planned it and prepared it. My wife taught them to do their own laundry from a very young age...about 3rd grade. WHen my eldest got to college, he made a point of calling us to say, "thanks for making me learn all that stuff...these kids here can't do ANYTHING!"

When my boys were small, we would each be responsible for one dinner per week. When it was their turn, we often had hot dogs, mac and cheese, or "breakfast for dinner", but it was their choice and they planned it and prepared it. My wife taught them to do their own laundry from a very young age...about 3rd grade. WHen my eldest got to college, he made a point of calling us to say, "thanks for making me learn all that stuff...these kids here can't do ANYTHING!"
Laundry and ironing are often overlooked. They need to be able at least iron their cap and gown. :)

Most of it they can practice at home. Buy a super cheap tent to practice setting up in the dark. Knots, get the pioneering MB book. Make fire starters and char cloth. (Dryer lint, gulf wax and egg cartons are cool). Field guide from library for plant and tree identification. A fire pit from a garage sale. Sharpen his knife and the kitchen knives. Push-ups / pull-ups etc.

Emergency preparedness: home evacuation plan, stocked first aid kit, emergency phone #s, etc ... Citizenship: maintain the family flag and flag pole, make sure everything is in working order and it is stored in a clean place. Ropes: got a clothes line? Get some baler twine and if growing tomatoes or beans: lash a trellis. Tie down lawn and garden equipment for winter. If you hunt, you may need a hanging rack in the garage for that deer or bear you're gonna bag this fall. Plan a family cookout and set up a dining area with a tarp. Or, lash umbrellas to your deck for shade. Fire: do you have a burn day in your community? Citizenship: take him to the voting booth with you his fall. Go to parades and shake hands with your town councilmen, or other community leaders. Campong: Find a coffee shop some miles away and hike to it. Your treat. (P.S., I recall you have a daughter. Knowing that she can go on long walks with you or her brother will be invaluable decades from now.)

Yikes yikes thanks we can close the floodgates :)
Oh yeah, forgot to mention ... pick the one or two that best meshes with what your family is doing anyway.

Making everything you do into scoutcraft reinforcement will put the boy off.

Also, making the scout always be the pancake flipper is not gonna fly!

Having everyone working together is best.

Yikes yikes thanks we can close the floodgates :)
I am divorced and only have custody of the scout 1 night a week. and every other weekend. plus scout nights and plus scout activities. luckily both his mother and i do as much as we can together.

But based on time..... cooking a meal a week. plus a little bit of knot practice i'll do what I can without being a scouting only dad.

cest le vie.

but thank you all for the brainstorming it really did help alot.