X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed Bugs and your unit

Because of the youth I serve....Over the past couple of year I have had to deal with boy who brought bed bugs to meetings and outings.

Well when we notified the family of the scouts from prior incidents, they are embarrassed and have to the person said they were aware and that they were in the process of treating their home.

Currently we have a scout who has an on going issue, leadership speculates at least since may. The parents are aware and either chose to do nothing about it or are unable. The last outing the bugs transferred to another scout and to the van.....After spending hours cleaning the van and heating it.....I am satisfied that they are dead....

We notified everyone on our return, most weren't happy about it.

So prevention.......

My initial reaction is to suspend the lad till his family gets its act together.....But then I don't like punishing the the boy for a failure on his parents part.

There seems to be no policy I can find....the local schools make the kids bring freshly laundered cloths to school in a sealed bag and the children change into them at school. The local Y camp now cooks everything coming into camp to prevent them from spreading.

What are your thoughts first as a parent and second as a leader?

My wife and i had the misfortune of having an infested hotel room in which she was biten. It turns out that I seem to be unaffected b bed bugs where as she was highly allergic. She required several rounds of medical procedures and is still terrified of bedbugs. the psychologial factor is sometimes more that the physical. My luggage and clothes from that vacation stayed in plastics bags until winter and luckily we had a harsh one.

Depending on your environment and location if the neighbor house of this lad is infected there is nothing the boy or is family can do. dont be too rash. these things are damn near impossible to eradicate. Chemicals are becoming useless on them.

I think your Y may be onto something.

Comment

• Basementdweller
      Basementdweller commented
      Editing a comment
      You are incorrect on eradication......You just need to pay the exterminator. Heat....locally they will pull a big furnace up to the house and raise internal temp to the kill temp.....or they bring in a guy with a nitrogen tank and he sprays the base boards and the flash freeze kills them.....most of the local companys use trained dogs to locate the pests and take care of them.

My gear from the last outing has not been brought into the house. My cloths were taken to a laundry mate and dried on high heat for 30 minutes.

My unit has had to occasionally deal with head lice. We excluded the scout, as the school did, until his parents corrected the issue and the school nurse verified.

As a leader, when it is a health and safety issue, you can't look at these measures as punishing anyone rather as protecting everyone. Quarantines are not punishment. Anyway, that was how we explained it to the scouts and their families.

As a parent, I send my son to activities only if he is a healthy scout. I expect other parents to do the same as I expect my son to return a healthy scout. I expect adult leaders to send unhealthy scouts home.

I have had no experience with bed bugs and scouts but I imagine the situation is much, much worse.

My $0.000001 for being no help

Comment

Interesting. We've never encountered the problem. And I've been just waiting for an infestation to occur on campus somewhere...so far, so good. I think the heat treatment is a good prophylactic method but you need to remove the chocolate bars first, lol. All insects (and most other arthropods) kick the bucket somewhere around 160 degrees F. It's one of the reasons you see piles of dead wasps and flies nestled in the corner of the back window of the car. Their death is fascinating. A wasp will flutter in vain evidently trying to escape through the glass and then suddenly it will stop, fold its wings backwards, and extend its stinger as if in a last vain stab at whatever was killing it.

Now for head lice, as the old joke goes, you shave one side, douse the other side with lighter fluid and set it on fire. When the lice run out of the fire you stab them with an ice pick.

When I was a teen we loved that joke. (Don't try this at home)

Comment

The joys of living in a large urban area.

Comment

Perhaps you could offer to work with the family by helping the scout put together a kit of bedbug-free gear and clothing that stays in your garage or at the home of another leader or friend. Then for outings, he stops there first, stores his clothes and shoes in a tote, changes into his stored clothes and attends the outing. On return, reverse the procedure. I think it would be very fair to offer that solution or the alternative to stop participating until the problem is resolved.

Comment

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            The problem with your suggestion is that someone has to take his infested gear home and then deal with it between outings.....

Are you going to the laundry mat and deal with his gear for a couple of hours before you go home after an outing?????

Then what are you going to do with the infested clothing he changed out of?????

Then how do you transport him?????? They are in the hair like lice.......

• sasha
            sasha commented
            Editing a comment
            His gear isn't contaminated in this scenario, at least after the initial cleaning. Start with a complete set of clean gear, right down to skivvys, socks and shoes. I'd want everything new or donated, actually.

His infested clothing and shoes are stored isolated in a tote, either in a garage or outside. Solar heat can only help, here! If they are in his hair, they should be easily removed by vigorous brushing. If he is 'decontaminated' before the outing, then his gear should remain clean. It's key to start with clean gear, then maintain it by avoiding cross-contamination with stuff from home. After an outing, reverse the process and send him home in the clothes he arrived in for the outing. Clean gear is stored by the leader until the next outing.

It's a PITA, but it IS an alternate idea that allows the scout to continue to participate on outings.

I live in a high bedbug infested area, like to the point that I have identified bed bugs in most of our local stores. I get the pain of dealing with them.

Uhhhh, bed bugs don't stay in people's hair. If they're that thick, call social services.

Comment

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            They are in the collars of his shirt, brim of his hat,

Locally social services does not consider it a neglect or abuse issue, I already looked into it to cover my butt, and I called council to make sure I wasn't being negligent by not reporting suspected abuse......Cause sorry in my book it is abuse.

• packsaddle
            packsaddle commented
            Editing a comment
            Brim of hat is still pretty thick. Is there any chance that I could get some preserved specimens, if I sent you the vials with formalin or alcohol?

But infestations can happen to anyone and therein lies part of the problem. Bed bugs have evolved to be almost perfect parasites. They proliferate without killing or even causing much harm to their hosts. I'm just glad that HIV isn't transmitted that way - yet. Nor, evidently much of anything else. If they were too small or obscure to be seen easily (as with some other nasties that we try to put out of our minds) we'd probably not be so alarmed.

• Scouter99
            Scouter99 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, wow.

Heheh. tell ya what.....next meeting I will ask the SPL to keep an eye on the fellow..... The one we pulled off the other scout was as big as my pinky nail

Comment

Posted prematurely...might I ask your interest????? I can send one.....just need to wait for another one to fall off him. Kinda award asking a family to root around their house looking for the Godzilla of bed bugs

Comment

• packsaddle
              packsaddle commented
              Editing a comment
              Scouter99, That only works for dinosaurs, lol.
              Basementdweller, Alcohol is the best. The preservative eventually will be 95% ethanol. PM me and I'll give you contact info.
              Edit: I'm getting rid of a few hundred very old topo maps from assorted places around the USA, if you'd like a few for the boys to practice with let me know. Offer is good to anyone else as well.
              Last edited by packsaddle; 07-31-2013, 07:04 AM.

• King Ding Dong
              King Ding Dong commented
              Editing a comment
              He needs extras for next Saturday's SyFy Channel movie Mega Bed Bugs vs Sharktopus.

• Basementdweller
              Editing a comment
              Well your gonnabe disappointed with the clone...... more than a little dim witted scrawny white guy.....with a variety of health and mental issues.

Just sayin

Pack,

Can't get PM working, but would love some topo maps.

Comment

• packsaddle
              packsaddle commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't seem to get it to work either. I'm not sure how to get the contact info from you without making it public. I'll contact Terry and see if they can find a fix for PM. I thought it has been working....evidently not. How many maps do you want? 20? 50?

Pack,

If you have maps of Texas east of San Antonio, I'd be glad to take them off your hands.

Comment

I'm going to set up an anonymous email account and put the address here in the forums so that you can send me contact info. I'll try to have that done tonight. KAM, I'm not sure about Texas. I have about 500 maps and they're from all over but I don't have a memory of Texas. I just pick different ones for the boys to use to practice reading the symbols and orienting their compasses. Sometimes they enjoy looking at the terrain from other states (some are more interesting than others). I'll get to work on that email now.

Comment

• King Ding Dong
                King Ding Dong commented
                Editing a comment
                I was going to suggest a burner email. If you have any of MO I could use some. For the boys and myself

OK, if anyone wants some maps, email your mailing/shipping address to me at:

packsaddle@lycos.com

Let me know how many you want and if you're willing to pay postage. I'll send them rolled in a standard mailing tube.

Comment

• packsaddle
                packsaddle commented
                Editing a comment
                I"m going to keep this email account, by the way...unless someone spams it. In that case I'll kill the email account.

Don't make me kill this account. That's not a challenge, by the way. I really do want to keep it.

I am on a backpacking trip right now....Just got a data connection.....I will collect a fellow and send it to you when I have him captured....

Comment

• packsaddle
                packsaddle commented
                Editing a comment
                Just sat next to the 'bedbug' entomologist on Friday. Evidently we have a gracious plenty of specimens already so he's not excited about getting more...you're off the hook. But the offer of the maps is still open to anyone interested. I'm still scaring up some mailing tubes for those who've responded already.

Incidentally, I asked about infestations on campus and it seems we're still 'bug free' so far. Not true, though, for off-campus apartments. It's just a matter of time. The great thing about this is I can go into certain social circles and talk about this and squeamish persons 'feel' them crawling around for hours afterwards....it's the simple pleasures that are best.

Does a "Burner" email kill bed-bugs?
              Eamonn

Comment

• packsaddle
                packsaddle commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome back, Eamonn! Where have you been all this time?
                Edit: BTW, what is a 'Burner' email?

• King Ding Dong
                King Ding Dong commented
                Editing a comment
                A burner email is just a free email account like gmail, hotmail etc you use for a specific task and then throw away. Like a cheap "burner" prepaid cell phone from the quick shop that are popular amount drug dealers, adulterers, and movie spies. Tossed in the trash when they have lost their utility.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=burner+phone

• packsaddle
                packsaddle commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, that explains it. FWIW, this one won't get burned.
            Working...
            X