Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was less than entertained when I got the notification that my scout needed to pony up another $50 or what ever it was......

Like I said, I hope they remember to feed them.

Comment

After reading these comments from so many different folks, I sure am glad we took our troop to Virginia in 2010 to visit what may very well have been the last good Jamboree!

Comment

I received the same email trail. I called in, spoke with a very patient clerk. She took down all my info, checked the med form (with my express permission) , asked me some questions (HIPPA concerns not withstanding), pronounced my medform correct and complete. It matched the paper copy I had previously printed and kept. Next day, I checked in the ole dashboard, and there was a notification that part A&B were complete, "status updated Jun11 2013". And in the Registration Notifications sedction, it read "Congrats! You have no registration problems to report!" I printed THAT out... Now all I have to worry about is the Venture YPT cert which may or maynot be OK, depending on what rule I read. The Venture YPT elearning site has been dead for a week now....

Comment

So did your SM go thru your son's gear at their shakedown camp out????? Well ours did and every tshirt even completely blank was rejected. All of his target synthetics were rejected because they didn't have the BSA logo.....His olive short were rejected....because they were not BSA.

Well I told him I don't have $250 to spend on a BSA clothing for his trip....So he is going with what he has.....Tough cookies for his scout master

Comment

• Brewmeister
            Brewmeister commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I'm sure the rules don't apply to you, just to everyone else, as always. So you should be fine.

Not to be in defense but I will. The extra fee for the whitewater rafting and the technical climbing were announced in December or January. It was in the webinar notes posted on the bsajamboree website as well. It's unfortunate if your council didn't get the information out. We can assume whatever reason we want but the one I was given was the upcharge was used to pay the outfitters actually providing the service and rather than upcharge every participant, they upcharged those taking advantage of the activity. As for the clothing, your SM was using the criteria we were also given. BSA socks, shorts/pants, belt, scout t-shirt, scout hat as the activity uniform. Add the field uniform for the full "class-a." It hasn't been a secret in our council for many months. We even did coupons for the scout shop that ran from early November through mid-April to offset costs and build in time to spead the costs. If your contingent hasn't been communicating well that's unfortunate. I have to say though I've been emailing parents for months and I'm still taking the same questions and complaints and I'm about done.

Comment

• Basementdweller
            Basementdweller commented
            Editing a comment
            Discounted uniforms???

Well sorry BSA if your gonna send my scout home for hanes socks then so be it.....

Remember a couple of years a go the announcement that every participant was going to have a communication device of some sort.....hmmmmm

My Beef isn't the up charge but the fact is was included initially then pulled back without a reduction in cost for the mass

Well my scout is one of the lucky ones who didn't get a schedule.....
          Last edited by Basementdweller; 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

It has always been BSA policy that you are always in complete BSA uniform, or BSA t-shirt when going to and from, and while at the Jamboree.
          Yes, it is an added expense.

Comment

• gsdad
            gsdad commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm just waiting for the Ebay flood of Venturing uniforms bought by Scouts whose Council registered them as Venturers to fill their alloted spots.

• King Ding Dong
            King Ding Dong commented
            Editing a comment
            How does that policy mesh with the official BSA policy that no boy will be denied the benefits of scouting because of a uniform ?

I am not suggesting I disagree with the policy, I just don't get the duplicity.

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            Hmmmmm,

I guess the though is if you can afford $1k plus for the trip another $400 for uniforming isn't that much extra.....

My understanding too is that the Campership money was pretty tough to come by .....

Don't want no rif raf trashing up the jamboree.

Basementdweller ... I can't speak directly to this Jamboree, but every jamoboree I've read about and the one my son went on had it clearly documented from the start that scouts will have extra uniforming expenses. My son had to bring four full uniforms. We received our official tshirts. You either had to be in the uniform or the official tshirts. It was a big expense, but it was KNOWN before hand and it was part of the agreement. I bet it was in the agreement you and your scout made when he signed up for the Jamboree. Don't make life difficult for your son's Jamboree SM. He's applying the rules and I find it hard to believe that you didn't know this was coming.

If your son doesn't have the full uniform ... he will stick out like a sore thumb.

==============================

jr56 ... PLUS ... they all need to be in the same thing at the same time. Everyone in their orange Jamboree troop #### t-shirt now. Now jamobree scout shirt. Now .... The only thing that was not official was my son's swim suit.

==============================

Jamborees are expensive. They are the Cadillac of scouting trips. You really can't complain about cost during them. The Jamboree documents warn you ahead of time.

Personally, I won't send my sons to them again because of cost and because of the random draw of scout leaders.
          Last edited by fred johnson; 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Basementdweller
            Editing a comment
            I am not making his life difficult....

But scout son is going with what he has.......

Sorry his socks are white instead of green........and he doesn't have 30 scout t shirts to chose from.

So it seems Jambos and NOACs are for Rich Scouts or Rich Councils..It would cost me less to go to KISC in Switzerland than to a Jambo.

Comment

Although I decided very early on not to be on staff again at this Jambo and have had very serious reservations about the way it is being run (starting with the basic that it is completely different than any Jamboree we've ever had), I sincerely hope that the Scouts and leaders who pony up all those bucks - it's not cheap for the staff, either - will have a really enjoyable experience.

If they don't, it will be another serious setback to the BSA at a time when we can ill afford it.

Those of you who are there with your Androids and Ipads, please keep us up to date as it progresses. I'll be following the official feed, but would like to hear from those in the trenches.

Comment

• gsdad
              gsdad commented
              Editing a comment
              I was asked several times to sign up for shooting sports staff, the cost is what held me back. I can't fathom charging someone $850 to work.

Yes, Jamborees are very expensive. They are a gathering of scouts. Not a gathering of boys trying to dress up like scouts. The imitation scout uniforms won't cut it.

Comment

• JoeBob
              JoeBob commented
              Editing a comment
              Elitist much?
              "Not a gathering of boys trying to dress up like scouts."
              I guess the rest of us aren't really scouts. Does that mean we can get a refund on our 'Not Really' dues?

jr, you sound like you're the type of Scouter who is disappointed that you can only officially wear nine knots.
              And you have reminded me of the attitude that convinced me to NEVER recommend a Scout go to a national event.
              If HA ever takes the same tact, we'll be looking for a different annual outing.

I just can't believe you actually said it....

• Twocubdad
              Twocubdad commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, everyone knows real Scouting can't possibly occur without the right socks.

When I went to the 1960 Jamboree, the info we got for our council, Arrowhead Area in San Bernardino County, was $400 plus approximately $50 for uniforming, plus personal spending money and gear beyond what might have. My parents told me; "We will buy the uniforms". Somehow I was able to go; and they did only buy the uniforms, plus take me to the pre jamboree camp at George AFB and to and from the train in San Berdo. What is that in today's money? Who cares. It was one of the highlights of my youth, period.

Comment

I went as a youth in '73. That was the year the red berets were introduced and -- over the great anguish of most Scouts -- were required parts of the jamboree uniform. Personally, I never wore the stupid thing again after getting off the bus back at home. BUT, one of my fondest memories of jamboree was the miles-long column of red berets marching to the opening and closing shows -- disappearing around one curve and reappearing over the next hill.

There is a time and place for proper uniforming. which is one of the biggest lessons of the Uniform Method generally. I have no problem requiring full uniforms of jamboree participants, including jamboree-specific items. It is appropriate to wear them for arena shows, colors and other occasions. But 24-7 is silly, especially at an event which is billed to be high adventure oriented. What difference does it make the kind of socks a kid wears to go swimming or rafting? Or to sit and trade patches?

Comment

Sorry if you folks took offense, but the Jamboree is what it is. They want all the boys and leaders in offical scout uniforms from head to toe.
                Wearing a pair of khaki shorts from Wal- Mart because they are close to the same color won't cut it. There are lots of people who go to summer camp, etc like that all the time, fine. But it won't be acceptable at a Jamboree. Don't shoot the messanger.

Comment

• Basementdweller
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya it will be accepted.... Folks like you that perpetuate the BS.

I got $1,000 that says my scout will not be sent home because he is wearing white socks, walmart khaki short and a target synthtic t shirt.

Because the uniform isn't actually a requirement to be a member.

I imagine part of the reason for requiring the regulation uniform is site security. It's not that difficult to get a Scout shirt from Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift store or something similar, especially in larger urban areas (even though BSA National has asked those organizations not to sell BSA uniform items). There are a lot of odd folks out there, and there are some individuals/organizations that want to get some ‘dirt’ (whatever that happens to be in their minds) on Scouting, and they try to get into events looking like a participant. If every registered participant is wearing the regulation uniform, it's a little easier to tell them apart from someone trying to ‘weasel their way in’.

When I attended the 2007 World Scout Jamboree and the 2010 National Jamboree, both events required every participant/staffer to wear indentification badges on lanyards (with different colors for different functions). There were only a couple of days we were requested to wear the complete uniform (or whatever consituted a complete unform for each participating country at the WSJ), but we were requested to wear at least part of the uniform (slacks/shorts) every day. If we were to see anyone that didn’t have a lanyard or other such identifier, we were asked to inform staff/security ASAP. We were also asked not to give any interviews and to refer any journalists that identified themselves as such to the media resource staff/office.

I experienced the same lack of communication for each Jamboree I’ve attended. I signed up, then waited, and waited, and waited. Then, in the last four months for the WSJ and the last month for the National, there was a flurry of communication, and there were still a couple of questions that had yet to be answered until I got on site. (In the case of the WSJ it was where I was going to be working as International Service Team. In the case of the National, it was where I could keep some medicine that had to be refrigerated, but not frozen.)

Comment

Working...
                X