When did you take "Eagle Scout" off your Resume?

Just curious on when you decided it wasn't important enough to mention to a potentail employer that you were an, "Eagle Scout". I can imagine that listing "Eagle Scout" on resume for your first job out of school would be seen as a character pre-qualification. But with an Engineering degree and 20 years experience does it still matter? Or do you still list, "Eagle Scout" on your resume after all these years? :)

It's still on mine. It always will be on mine. When I look to hire someone, it's one of the few accomplishments prior to the 18th birthday that still speaks volumes about a person, regardless of their age.

The other side of the sword is that listing it carries expectations on the part of the employer (and rightfully so) that the lister needs to meet.

I'm an Engineer and veteran with multiple degrees and many years of notable experience, yet nothing says "values" like "Eagle Scout." A prospective employeer wants to get to know the person - not just the job performance.

A few years back, I was appyling for a very selective position with a lot of applicants. When I was called to come in for an interview, I discovered I had lost my copy of the application. Fortunately the personnel office was willing to provide a copy from my folder. When I got it, I noticed someone who had been reviewing my application found two items that they thought were important enough to highlight by underlining them - one was Eagle Scout. I got the job.

It's still there. And I plan to have it in my obituary, too.

As a manager who frequently has to review resumes of potential job candidates, I look for things like that. Nowadays, everyone has a high school diploma and the necessary college degrees to work in my profession. So I have to look for some other discriminator, and having been an Eagle Scout, (or the GS equivalent) or even a leader tells me that chances are this is a go-to person who I can trust to be proactive and get the job done right the first time. I look for "leaders" even for a non-supervisory position. Makes my job a lot easier in the long run.

It's the only pre-college item that remains on my resume. After 20 years, I believe it is still an important item that shaped me into who I am. I list it under community activities - Boy Scouts of America, and I list it along with the positions I have held.