Apathy is only a small part of today's attitudes towards any activity. We are fighting T.V., movies, VCRs, digital games, year round sports of all types, band, dancing, art class, martial arts, single parenthood, low financial capabilities, very low financial capabilities, unlimited financial capabilities but no personal time investment, parents who just dump their kid into whatever activity presents itself.

Apathy? Yes as it applies to been there, done that!

• 3 weeks later...

Scouting and Scouters are alive and well in my hometown. We have over 70 scouts and 25 adults camping at least once a month, engaged in tons of activities.

My council and district are equally busy and active. While some nits and individuals struggle, I remain enthusiastic.

As I get older, I have to remind myself more often why I keep the committments I make. I know that in working with the boys I need to keep looking for that spark. It's there, and they share it with us and their fellow scouts. But we sometimes have to look hard for it.

we need to keep looking, it's our renewal of purpose.

I'm not competeing with TV and Sports, and the thousand other things that are presented to young folks. I'm competing with myself to keep my scouting spirit alive.

I hope that you just lost your focus and will soon find it.

Scouting is FUN. Lots of Scouts know it and nothing will interfere with the fun of scouting.

B-P said "If you build it, they will camp out around it" (or something like that)

YIS

• 2 weeks later...

OAbrockorama:

Your concern is exactly why we must redouble our efforts in recruiting kids into Scouts and helping their experience to be both positive and fun.

Make no mistake. We are working to regain our moral fabric. Always remember... The guy on the mountaintop that is pointing in the other direction while everybody else is headed opposite, is probably lonely too... and much of the populace is working against him/her... but his role, is LEADER. So let us lead. We will no doubt lose some on the way. But the few we help are worth the effort. If we quit now, we lose all.

Ed Livesay.. Tiger Coach.. Pack 942

OAbrockorama:

Your concern is exactly why we must redouble our efforts in recruiting kids into Scouts and helping their experience to be both positive and fun.

Make no mistake. We are working to regain our moral fabric. Always remember... The guy on the mountaintop that is pointing in the other direction while everybody else is headed opposite, is probably lonely too... and much of the populace is working against him/her... but his role, is LEADER. So let us lead. We will no doubt lose some on the way. But the few we help are worth the effort. If we quit now, we lose all.

Ed Livesay.. Tiger Coach.. Pack 942

• 12 years later...