Hello from Texas

I am a Webelos den leader for a Cub Scout pack and have been asked to be the Scoutmaster of a new troop chartered by my church. I have been checking out the forums and already found a lot of information that will be very helpful. I look forward to participating in the forums.

Yes-in-deedy... welcome to the ecrackerbarrel. The cocoa is there on the virtual table, next to the pepperoni slices. Don't step in the gazonga, and have a virtual seat. We'll get acquainted in due course. First bit of advice: Don't overstretch yourself (learn to say no with gratitude). Secondly, family comes first. Other than that, KiS, MiF!

Congrats, not only is SM the most important volunteer position in Scouting, but the most rewarding. Have you been a Boy Scout leader before, if not, remember there are very substantial differences between Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. My advice is get trained, or if you have been trained before, it's a good time to do a refresher.

I'm currently starting a new church CO troop. You will need patience! I've been at it for almost a year now, but I now have my five Webelos cross-overs and the adventure begins! Even though I am starting from square one with new Webelos boys, it's very important to remember, they are not Cub Scouts, they are Boy Scouts! Get all the training you can get so you are very clear on the differences. I have 30 years of Boy/Cub/Venturing experience and I'm still learning as I go.

You are about to embark on a really neat adventure that a lot of Scouters never get. Picking up the reins of someone else's efforts is one thing, but being the first to pick up the reins is a daunting challenge. No place to go but UP! and no one whispering in your ear, "We've never done it that way before". No history, no traditions, nothing but what you and the boys can imagine to do. Train them up to FC and hit the trail!~

Stosh

• Upvote 1
I'm currently starting a new church CO troop. You will need patience! I've been at it for almost a year now, but I now have my five Webelos cross-overs and the adventure begins! Even though I am starting from square one with new Webelos boys, it's very important to remember, they are not Cub Scouts, they are Boy Scouts! Get all the training you can get so you are very clear on the differences. I have 30 years of Boy/Cub/Venturing experience and I'm still learning as I go.

You are about to embark on a really neat adventure that a lot of Scouters never get. Picking up the reins of someone else's efforts is one thing, but being the first to pick up the reins is a daunting challenge. No place to go but UP! and no one whispering in your ear, "We've never done it that way before". No history, no traditions, nothing but what you and the boys can imagine to do. Train them up to FC and hit the trail!~

Stosh

This sounds a lot like my situation. I'll have my 6 Webelos + 5 other young men when my new troop starts in 2 months. None of them will have more than 1 year experience as a Boy Scout. I am looking forward to quickly instituting the patrol method and empowering them to run their Scouting program.

Thanks to all for the advice and the warm welcome.