My son is a Boy Scout now!

Huzzah!:D I can only hope that Venturing's precipitous decline will cease so that in 4 years and there'll be a crew waiting for him!
I hope so too because the troop he is joining are mostly younger scouts, and I would like for him to stay in the program longer.
My son crossed the bridge two weeks ago, also. I'd say "no looking back", but right now he has more friends in the Pack's younger Dens than in the Troop (he socializes younger).
Maybe he could be a Den Chief for the pack.
My Bear made it to the District PWD last weekend, came in mid 40s in a very big district. My Tenderfoot was really bummed he can not do PWD anymore. I tried pitching Blastcar to the troop committee but absolutely no interest. Adult led troop.
Our District has a PWD category for Boy Scout-aged boys and one for adults also. Maybe you can get your District to do that next year. There weren't too many Boy Scouts who entered, but there were quite a few adults.

My youngest is working on Eagle; he and I are doing a high adventure trip to the BWCA in June. Enjoy the time you have with them, soon they'll be to busy for you. I think this may be my last chance to pry his eyes from electronics, and girls, and help him see this amazing world with his own eyes. These are special times indeed.