wolf without leader

Hi y'all...not sure if this post should be here or in cub scouts section, so if I'm in the wrong place I apologize.

We have 2 wolf dens. One den is now leader-less. We were told parents are stepping up for now. However, I have gotten emails from a few parents saying they are out of the loop, don't know what's happening with den meetings, and so on.

So, my question is, do I say "well here's our info, you can come to our meetings" or do I say something else like "there is a leader meetng within the week, I'm sure we'll figure it out then." I don't want to step on any toes but also don't want to lose these families.

Our derby is just a couple weekends away, and I just feel so bad for these families that want to participate but now feel out of the loop.

Thanks so much in advance.

I would definately fill them in on the information you have, especially the pinewood derby so that they have time to make their cars..

Then at the leaders meetings figure out how to get people in the loop. Most packs now use email for mass mailing of the information to all families. Also figure out what dens thes parents are in and figure out why the den leader isn't passing on the info.

as for the lonely wolf.. Why can't he be merged into the other wolf den?

Ok great. I agree with ya, why can't he be merged in and would be glad to do so, just wanted to make sure I could, without anyone saying "hey you're taking from our den"

If people even say that :) I don't know. That's why I asked. Your response made it seem like that was a fine thing to do. I wish we had some mass emailing happening. The leaders don't always get emails when they should so it's safe to say parents don't get any either. I never have, as a leader or parent. But since you put it out there so plainly(sometimes that's all it takes)maybe this is something I could volunteer to do?

Thnx for the guidance moosetracker.

The communications part was my role when we were in the pack.. It was paper copy, because email was still spotty, everyone did not have a computer, but it was getting there and I definately used the computer and intranet to design the monthly news flyer.

For some reason I was thinking it was a single wolf.. I guess it does depend on how many are in each wolf den, and if the combining would put the one den (and the leader) over the top..

If over the top (over 8) then it may not be the solution.

If so, the leaderless den should offer assistance to the wolf leader.. And make sure they ask, not demand if he/she would be willing..

A leaderless den needs to have the Cubmaster come in and have a parent meeting to find new leaders. Or the CM/ACM can take over leading the den temporarily. Do your Committee Chair and Cubmaster know what's going on with this leaderless den?

How many boys are in your den (you are the leader of one of the Wolf dens, correct?)?

How many boys are in the leaderless Wolf den?

Do you have an assistant Wolf den leader for your den?

Do you know what happened to the leaders of the other den? Did they change Packs, to much den adult drama, drama with CM/CC of the Pack, quit Scouting completely, etc?

Do you know any parents in the other den, or your den, who would be willing to take on the job of Wolf den leader?

You need to contact your Cubmaster right away.

Tell the CM about the emails you have been getting, and the confusion in the other Wolf den. Find out what the CM, and CC, are planning, and talk to them about any help you feel you can offer.

How many boys are in your den (you are the leader of one of the Wolf dens, correct?)?

How many boys are in the leaderless Wolf den?

Do you have an assistant Wolf den leader for your den?

Yes

Do you know what happened to the leaders of the other den? Did they change Packs, to much den adult drama, drama with CM/CC of the Pack, quit Scouting completely, etc?

I don't know exactly, personal issues. I was told she "stepped down" But it appears she has quit scouting complelely.

Do you know any parents in the other den, or your den, who would be willing to take on the job of Wolf den leader?

I don't really know any of the other parents period. Just in passing. But everyone in our den is willing to help. That's why I asked if it was ok to jump in and connect.

The Cubmaster (or the lump as I call him...but only in my mind :)) is the one who said "so and so stepped down. the parents are stepping up." He himself has a cub in that den. Yeah nuts I know. I am still waiting on an email I sent him last week sooooooooo....

I'll just let these parents know to come to our next meeting? I just don't think it's far to wait on the Cubmaster's response (if there would even be one) 10 days before our pinewood derby, when I can just bring them in our fold at least for now. Yes?

#1.. If you are the den leader of the other wolf pack and thinking of enlarging it from 6 to 14 (which is way too much).. Don't also try to take on the position of the Pack's communication..

#2.. Do you have enough room where you meet to have that many people? cubs & parents who stay for the meeting, and you may need to break into two groups for a projects just to make it manageable.

#3.. Still get a few parents from your group to also be assistance so that if you do break the groups down you have adult supervision of the two groups..

That is ALOT to take on.. You have a big heart, and alot of courage for even thinking about it. But, seriously make sure your eyes are wide open before you leap.

When we transitioned from Tigers to Wolves, we had 12 and picked up 1 more. That was a lot and meeting were chaotic. We broke the den into two and it's much easier to manage. I would press hard for the CM or ACM to come in and find a new DL instead of merging dens. You could help out the CM/ACM by volunteering to coordinate activities with and mentor anyone that steps up to be the new DL.

If you bring them into your meetings, they probably will never feel they HAVE to find their own leader, they will figure if you can have 14 wolves for a couple weeks, you can have 14 wolves for the rest of the year.

so keep that in mind before you make these plans.

That said, the right thing to do is for cubmaster, assistant cubmaster, yourself and your assistant to invite all the wolves over and get them goin on their derby cars and find out what's going on, with everyone there, and see if they can get a den leader and assistant going at this point. did that den have an assistant den leader?

if the above meeting happens with your 6 wolves present, cause that is the only time that works, then so be it, but be sure to remind the parents that having a den of 6 or 8 is so much easier than the chaos that they see when all 14 are together.

let them know if you have the rest of the year planned, and can share meeting plans with them, but know that their prior leader may have done things in a different order than you did, so they may have different things they need to get done to finish their ranks.

contacting all the parents and getting them all the info is important, it shouldn't be just your responsibility, but if that's where it falls, then do it.

Thank you all so much. At roundtable tonight if Cubmaster is there, I will be sure to tell him what y'all said-he should step in for now, we should all get together and get em rolling and what not. I may even copy and paste and quoate y'all if you don't mind :)

I agree 14 boys would be LOONY and I never thought about them getting comfy with us and never moving back to there own den. A bit of naivet on my part.

Our den offers to help all the time. Our Cubmaster either wants all the glory and doesn't take our help or he simply doesn't "get it". Maybe I should print off duties of a Cubmaster for him? Or would that be too much? Along with sometimes being a bit naive, my Husband says I'm a bit tactless too. But I mean well :)

Anyways-thanks again friends...I'll let ya know how it goes.

jandemama,

When you talk to the cubmaster, I recommend asking him to step in rather than telling him that he should step in for now.

I dont know your cubmaster, the extent of his involvement, nor what other responsibilities that he has in his life. But I do know that as a cubmaster I would not be appreciative of someone telling me what I should do.

Also, be clear about what you are Asking him to do. As a former cubmaster, I would say "yes" to stepping in and calling a meeting with the parents, laying out the issues, and letting them select the next leader from among themselves. I would also ask the PW derby committee chair to make sure that the boys got their kits. I would say "no" to stepping in as an interim den leader.

If I was the OP I would continue to concentrate all my effort on my Den, that's where their responsibility lies.

And I would refer the parents from the other den to the Cub Master and let him take care of the problem, that's one of his responsibilities.

• 4 weeks later...