A view of PC currently in our society

Found this piece in the Los Angeles Times to be interesting and bit humorous. I particularly liked the ending comments;

" giving this new version of PC the respect it deserves warrants a whole new term.

So what have we got? Insatiable aggrievedness? Compulsive didacticism? Sanctimonious kneejerkery? Any of those would beat political correctness. Because PC's been beat."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...03-column.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RedNeck in south Georgia referred to whites who worked the fields alongside 'darkies' (PC term would be African-Americans) and got sunburned on the backs of their necks. I did that for many summers in

TAHAWK, I'm with you on the PC requirements of a fair trial, but it sure complicates the future.   Let's say we have a Gay suing a Baptist, or vice versa. We obviously need 6 gay jurors and 6 Bap

Found this piece in the Los Angeles Times to be interesting and bit humorous. I particularly liked the ending comments;

" giving this new version of PC the respect it deserves warrants a whole new term.

So what have we got? Insatiable aggrievedness? Compulsive didacticism? Sanctimonious kneejerkery? Any of those would beat political correctness. Because PC's been beat."

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...03-column.html

A good article, you should also read the Jonathan Chait article the LA Times article references. I especially agree with the paragraph:

Liberals believe (or ought to believe) that social progress can continue while we maintain our traditional ideal of a free political marketplace where we can reason together as individuals. Political correctness challenges that bedrock liberal ideal. While politically less threatening than conservatism (the far right still commands far more power in American life), the p.c. left is actually more philosophically threatening. It is an undemocratic creed.

Political correctness threads always make me think of Walter Sobczak from the film The Big Lebowski:

"The Chinaman is not the issue here. Oh, and, Dude, 'Chinaman' is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please." :D

One person's courtesy' date=' in calling a person what they want to be called, is another persons PC.[/quote']

I have always wanted people to call me Your Highness, but even the PC bunch doesn't follow through because of their hypocrisy. Must mean that all the PC crowd wants is courtesy on their terms, not what other people want.

Stosh

While it may be fun to pick on PC, or even be a badge of honor to refer to oneself as "not PC", I think the fundamental concept behind it is sound. If calling someone something is offensive to them, why would we continue to refer to them in such a way as to be hurtful? I thought a scout was supposed to be Kind.

Prejudice has always been rampant in our society since the Founding Fathers and will continue to be so, in spite of PC and because of moronic TV and radio conservative commentators like Reilly, Limbaugh, etc., etc., etc.

Prejudice has always been rampant in our society since the Founding Fathers and will continue to be so' date=' in spite of PC and because of moronic TV and radio conservative commentators like Reilly, Limbaugh, etc., etc., etc.[/quote']

As well as Maddow, Sharpton, Jackson, Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartman, Ed Schultz and the like. Bomb throwers from either extreme are the problem.