traveling with your troop. Caravaning .

Traveling by caravan or convoy is specifically prohibited. It used to be in the G2SS, it's now found in the Tour Plan Pledge of Performance.

"15. If more than one vehicle is used to transport our group, we will establish rendezvous points at the start of each day and not attempt to have drivers closely follow the group vehicle in front of them..."

The rationale for not traveling in convoy/caravan is that when you attempt to do so you drive differently than you normally would and therefore differently than other drivers expect you to – both of these are the recipe for accidents to happen.. Some examples: five cars traveling together, a light turns yellow, a driver who would normally stop instead goes through the yellow/red rather than lose or hold up the convoy. Alternatively, several cars make the light but some don’t, the caravan pulls over, now a truck with trailer and three other cars are on the shoulder of the road, other cars have to decide why and then proceed around them.

Pick rally points to meet at. Let people who aren't driving keep in touch with cell phones. Trying to drive in a convoy is distracting from the important task of concentrating on your driving.

• Upvote 1

jc143, have you read the Guide to Safe Scouting? From your other two questions, I thought you had, because indeed there are no specific restrictions. But, this one sounds like you've been taught the opposite of national policy. What resources are you using? Maybe we can direct you to better ones.

• Downvote 1
Is there a rule that states you have to stay in the caravan line. Can't you just meet at the stops that were agreed too.

We usually do travel in a caravan, meaning one behind the other. That said, we aren't slavish about it, and meet either at teh campsite or at different rest stops. We text this to each other--set up a group mms, and I have my shotgun passenger (usually my oldest son, as I have a general rule that the highest rank scout gets shotgun, and he is the only active Eagle in the troop) do the texting.

I am glad to know this! I have a couple of REALLY slow driving women and I always would lay back so they dont get lost. Now I can simply say NO Caravan, you are on your own. Which means I can arrive at camp a little earlier and less aggravated! good

Maps. MapQuest. GoogleEarth. Print out, write out directions. We will leave the school parking lot at 5pm sharp. We will regroup/meet for dinner stop at the Snack and Bag on Rt4 at Bingo St. Exchange cellphone numbers. Record phone number of the camp office. Remember to give the cellphone to the "navigator" of each car. Driver drives. Navigator navigates. First Class map reading requirement? Do not depend on following each other. Dangerous. Leads to frustration of folks who drive faster than and the folks that obey the speed limit. Following folks might take chances in trying to keep up, leading to accidents? Not good. Do not plan on "caravan" or "convoy". See Tour Plan form.