Christmas Truce of 1914 - 100 years ago

Thank you, R/S for the reminder of something very important. The soldiers declared the peace, the leaders did not, and, indeed, I read where the military and political leaders on both sides were, shall we say, aghast.

56 million dead attributed to WW2. So many lives shortened, so few lessons learned..

Each Christmas, I wonder if a grunt soldier-driven truce might occur again somewhere during the year, when both sides realize they have more in common than they knew. I know hard to believe in today's world. Maybe it will be a common song, holiday, sport, or maybe just maybe on some battlefield one soldier will raise the Scout sign and not his rifle and his enemy will do the same...and for a day, peace.

A minute's silence is still used at matches on or close to Remembrance Sunday and also to mark the anniversary of the Hllsborough disaster but in recent years to mark events that should perhaps be more celebrated rather than remembered with sadness a minute's applause is often used instead. For example to mark the death of a great player who's life should be celebrated. On this occasion as well the truce was seen as something to celebrate hence the applause.

I understand it was something that has been done in Italy for many years and was adopted in the UK over the last few years.

Football fans a strange group of people :)