How do you handle applications securely?

A few parents in our Troop do not want to provide SSNs, drivers license numbers, etc for adult applications because they're afraid of the paper application getting lost or into the wrong hands. I can't answer them when they ask about what happens once these applications go to council. How do you handle your applications and other sensitive/personal information securely?

Welcome to the forum!

My college ID # was my SS#

My Driver's License in a couple of states I lived was my SS#

My bank account # is on every check I issue.

My driver's license number is also on my checks, so the cashier doesn't need to write it on the check.

Every time someone gets carded for tobacco/alcohol purchase the store owner see's your DL #

Ever leave your debit card on the tray after a meal and the waitress swipes it? How many times? Sheet of paper and pencil and in 2 seconds she has a copy of your card #

I'm thinking the BSA council offices and people handling the applications are far more sensitive to one's privacy than the person themselves in everyday life.

My people understand the seriousness of the issue and take every precaution they can to make sure no one has access to the information before getting turned in. Council people will need to fill in what happens after that.

Stosh

You could ask the individual to take their app and YPT certificate directly to the Council office and thank them for saving you a trip. Just be sure they give you the copies in the back so you have their info (sans SSN). I remind folks that the BSA is serious about background checks and their personal info is necessary to run the check. I also let them know I will guard the app and take it to Council ASAP to reduce the risk it will end up in the wrong hands. I haven't had any issues after they understand why the numbers are needed.

Many colleges have abandoned that stupid practice...years ago. I'm not sure this college ever did use the SSN as the ID number.

Bank account number on checks? DUH!!!

DL on checks? That's your choice. I don't.

My SSN has never been my drivers license number going back to my first license in the mid '60s. Many stores in this area don't card if you obviously are older than 30 years. Most of the time they don't card if you're obviously in your late 20s. That policy is left up to the store. The ONLY thing they check is your DOB.

Debit card users should be aware of the risks. I don't use them...ever.

Given the less-than-stellar way they've been able to keep accurate advancement records, I wouldn't trust the council any more than I would trust the paper delivery person.

I respect the concerns of parents who are cautious about these things. I suggest that they take the advice that Polaris just gave if their concerns are too great. If they object to giving their SSN to the council, then there's not much else they can do. The council is completely free to ask for the SSN. What's worse is that once the SSN has been given to the council, there are few restrictions as to what they can do with the SSN outside of criminal activity. If a parent expects complete privacy and security, they should not apply.

Edit:

I looked into the college ID thing and FERPA (dating back to 1994) restricts the use of SSN info for any college that receives federal funding. This means that the SSN cannot be used as the ID number. If the college is a public college there are other restrictions dating back to 1974. If the college is private, students are allowed to request an ID number that is not their SSN.

The parents only option then is to drive in the application or NOT be a leader. Period.

As with any other parent, they could still help with some smaller supporting roles and preferably those that do NOT interact with scouts. But they can't be a registered leader. Let them bake cupcakes or umpire a kickball game. Just don't have them be the "leader" who is there for safety and to make sure it's a BSA program.

ALSO ... as I am a leader responsible for the whole unit ... my radar would be raised if I had someone volunteering but did not want to provide SSN. ( ... Radar yes, but not an alarm ...) I'd be okay if they provided it to the council and then I saw their registration added to our scouting unit ... especially as I can respect their caution with their personal info.

But if I ever have a leader that just does not want to be registered ... then we need to respect their wish and act accordingly ... which means not using them as a leader and not having them guide activities with the kids. ... The registration serves multiple purposes ... back ground checks ... indicates who is to be trained ... serves as a signed commitment to follow BSA policies and procedures.

Thank you all for your replies!

So, there is one particular person who has NOT provided his SSN and his application was kicked back to me. And he wants to go to summer camp as a supportive parent and generally wants to camp out when his sons are on camp outs with the troop. So I'd say no to summer camp, but what about if he wants to tag along on a regular camp out? I'm thinking no....

Leaving the whole "BS camping is not family camping" issue aside. This person is still a parent and is allowed to observe. I suspect this parent can even attend summer camp in the role of a parent but not a leader. National is not going to tell this parent he cannot monitor his child's scouting activities. If this is really battle you want to fight you will need to have your CO on board.

Policy states that no parent or legal guardian can be stopped from observing BSA activities. I believe they can be barred from staying at long term camps without proper vetting.

Am surprised that the use of SSN by the military was not noted. When I joined the AF in 1965 I was given a military number; about half way through my enlistment, they deactivated it and replaced it with my SSN. Do not know if that is still the case now. I also have my SSN as my Medicare id.

Caution with all types of identification is important, but reality is that even those most vigilant in this regard still sometimes have problems. Be careful, but do not be paranoid.

1) I'm reliably told that both youth and adult applications can be completed on the beascout.org website these days. I'm not sure how that's done though --- perhaps someone can advise us.

2) Adults don't have to be registered Scouters to go on overnight outings. You need to have at least one registered Scouter and an additional adult who may or may not be registered.

3) Frankly security about adult leader applications isn't unreasonable, if my own difficulties getting everything together and signed are an example. Haven't had anyone raise that issue with me yet, though.

Find out how to do the beascout.org registration, would be my advice for this issue. Might be worthwhile in many cases if it's simpler to do and avoids all that paperwork handling.

Backing off a bit...the security issue is a serious one. But the SSN isn't just about stealing account balances. It's identity theft and in some ways that's worse than stealing a few tens of thousands of $. For me it's academic. My own state government allowed every SSN, millions of them, along with every other personal info thing about its citizens to be stolen a few years ago and having that happen is like being infected by HIV. Once that info is gone to the black market, you're never cured. I'd like to dismiss every d*** politician who was in office at the time but that would do nothing to fix things. There is no fixing it. So I've frozen my credit and will have to monitor all of my accounts carefully from now on. The state provided free monitoring but we all know that will come to an end and we the people will have to foot that bill for ourselves.

So I don't sweat the council incompetents having my SSN. Not when there's the like of the political incompetents like we have in our state. Just sayin'

Policy states that no parent or legal guardian can be stopped from observing BSA activities. I believe they can be barred from staying at long term camps without proper vetting.

Am surprised that the use of SSN by the military was not noted. When I joined the AF in 1965 I was given a military number; about half way through my enlistment, they deactivated it and replaced it with my SSN. Do not know if that is still the case now. I also have my SSN as my Medicare id.

Caution with all types of identification is important, but reality is that even those most vigilant in this regard still sometimes have problems. Be careful, but do not be paranoid.

The military has replaced the SSN with another number for most uses (except of course related to pay).