Pogo on Television and Kids

I've always been a fan of Walt Kelly's brilliant, long running comic strip "Pogo" (from a poster's avatar, I know we have at least one other fan here, too.) If there were a Mount Rushmore for comic strip creators, Walt Kelly would be right up there in granite with George Herriman, Charles Schulz, and Bill Watterston.

Back in 1961, the U.S. government (or "gub'mint," as Pogo himself might say) commissioned Kelly to create a guide for parents who were concerned about the effect of television on their kids. What Kelly created is both insightful, droll, whimsical, and charming. (As government work-product, it's also non-copyrighted.) I just found this today and thought I'd share. It's hard to imagine the government commissioning anything like this nowadays, sadly, especially the panel where an armed Albert the Alligator, playing the part of a husband, catches Pogo, playing the part of a mom, in flagrante delicto. Nowadays, that would probably be decried as support of domestic violence and handgun use by the left, and by the right as a depiction of same-sex marriage, instead of the goofy slapstick fun that it obviously is.

Some good points here: enjoy and discuss.

http://randomactsofgeekery.blogspot.com/2014/10/government-comics.html

We have more media sources than just today to worry about today - this Christian Science Monitor article http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2014/1020/How-much-film-violence-for-kids-Parents-losing-their-compass-study-says got a lot of attention recently. I'd say this is still a relevant topic.

Just to show you the more things change the more they stay the same... replace T.V. with internet.

these kids and thier music nowadays.. that Miley Cyrus this is nothing like back in my day when we had wolesome music such as Madonna and quiet riot.

I have to go there are kids on my lawn

Just to show you the more things change the more they stay the same... replace T.V. with internet.

these kids and thier music nowadays.. that Miley Cyrus this is nothing like back in my day when we had wolesome music such as Madonna and quiet riot.

I have to go there are kids on my lawn

Elvis? OMG! Get the girls inside, NOW!

Mick Jagger? "Do you want your Rolling Stones magazine in a separate brown paper bag?"

Beatles? What's the world coming to! and get a haircut!

:) It's a sad day when you vividly remember reading Pogo every day in the paper.....Pogo, Li'l Abner, Dick Tracy and of course Mark Trail.

Pogo made Dunesbury look like a Disney cartoon.

And one also has to take into consideration that Albert is always smoking his cigar.

I really love those old politically incorrect comics!

Stosh

AZMike' date=' I must be missing the "in flagrante delicto" part? Unless you are using it to mean something other than what I think it means.[/quote']

It's used colloquially to mean something like "caught red-handed" or "caught in the act," and often used to describe being caught in the act of cheating on one's spouse, as in the satirical cartoon at the bottom:

6209690524_600aba7a35_b.jpg

Whats a paper? said the Gen Xer

That hurts, considering that my first career was as a newspaper reporter and editor. (I switched careers in 1983, to give you an idea of when we're talking about here.) But I guess it is true, because of the three "paying" newspapers that I worked for (either in summers during college or as a "real" job), one went completely defunct about 20 years ago, one is now a "free paper" and the third, a daily newspaper, still exists, but it probably has half the circulation it did back in the day, they sold the huge building I worked in (which has since been torn down) and moved to a small rented office, and the staff has been merged with that of another newspaper, and the really "local" news is few and far between. So there are still "papers," but not like there were... partly because those Gen Xers and younger (including Stout and my children) don't read them.

While I do read the news on the internet, I find the full story of the newspaper more enlightening. This digital Sesame Street approach on the internet doesn't really do much for me.

I didn't grow up on Sesame Street, I can focus my attention on something for more than 5 seconds.

We didn't have ADD/ADHD back when I was a kid, we learned to pay attention for long periods of time. If not, a little dosage of Pavlov corrected it quickly.

Stosh

• 3 weeks later...