BSA should celebrate Smokey the Bear's Birthday this August!

Smokey turns 70 this August!

We used to do a lot more PR and education with Smokey and the U.S. Forest Service. We need to reconnect. Maybe summer camps can run with this - fire prevention program with Forest Rangers, a Smokey whittling contest,... Happy Birthday Smokey, we switched to all LED lanterns.

220px-Smokey_with_scouts.png

Since Smokey is a bear' date=' it is quite correct to call him "Smokey the Bear" even if that is not his name. :)[/quote']

There's only one Smokey THE Bear. The other Smokey Bears ride around in cruisers.

Stosh

Regarding a Camp Fire Girl, more outdoorsy seems likely. In all my years, I have only been involved in one joint outdoor activity with Girl Scouts, a day hike (walk). It was comical. Never took so many breaks and long ones at that. Each girl had a small picnic cloth which was spread out and set at each break. Boys were eager to get moving, girls content to sit and talk.

Anyway, I have also heard this explanation:

"The Camp Fire Girls organization was begun in the United States with the joint efforts of some of the very people who were instrumental in founding Boy Scouts of America, and by the sisters and wives of the men who built BSA in this country. James E. West, first Chief Scout for BSA, always made clear that Camp Fire Girls was the "sister" organization to BSA; West served as the top executive officer of BSA from 1911 to 1943. "

http://www.alicemariebeard.com/campfire/bsacfg.htm

Camp Fire Girls is now Camp Fire, an inclusive youth organization.

RememberSchiff, if you look closely at the poster it says "50th Anniversary Boy Scouts of America and Camp Fire Girls". So that is probably why the girl is a Camp Fire Girl. The poster is evidently from 1960, so the GSUSA was only 48 years old. Right?