Convicted, registered predator attends Troop fundraiser

Scout troop advertises lobster fest, clam bake, silent auction fundraiser at local church. Public invited. Scouts are working the event.

Sixty year old, former scoutmaster James Dundas, a registered sexual predator (served 9 years in prison) attends with wife.

Wife works at the Council Boy Scout store.

Parents upset, but apparently he was not told to leave and certainly not forcibly removed without regard to his personal safety.

According to police, no laws were broken as James Dundas is not on probation.

This is totally unbelievable to me. If I recognized a sexual predator around kids/scouts, that person would be gone!

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-storie...id_15503.shtml

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry Stosh, if I know someone is a registered sex offender and it is a youth event - scouts, school, sports, ... I would remove that person.   I'm not waiting for council to write him a letter.

99% of the people out there do not realize that on any given day they walk right by registered sex offenders, thieves, murderers and various felons of all sorts and don't even know it. It would seem

99% of the people out there do not realize that on any given day they walk right by registered sex offenders, thieves, murderers and various felons of all sorts and don't even know it. It would seem that Mr. Dundas fully served his debt to society, is not on probation, is part of the public and public was welcomed and no laws were broken. So what's the problem other than one happens to know this person is a sex offender?

I had such a person living with me for 2 years while trying to get their feet back on the ground after coming out of prison. I have neighborhood children living on both sides of my house. I live right across the street from a city park, and there were no problems.

It would seem that one is expecting the BSA and everyone else to extend the punishment that was established in a court of law. Such vigilantism is not part of the Scout Oath and Law. At this point I would suggest MYOB and let the law enforcement people do their job.

If one is worried about such things, just remember the trained killer living next door has proven himself/herself to be a person capable of taking another person's life without too much or any remorse at the time, has very little or no interest in ever killing again....but could if provoked. And by the way, thank the veteran for serving his/her country this coming Memorial Day.

Stosh

• Downvote 1

Thankfully in my city that would never happen. Offenders cannot live that close to parks or schools. They can't even live near bus stops, school routes or any place children might frequent. They must register and they are tracked on a website open to the public which notes their location. Sucks for them? Yeah, but so did their crime so I have no sympathy. This guy should have known better...both prior to his crime and after. Had that been me I'd be too ashamed to show my face around kids, let alone scouts. Shame on him.

• Upvote 1

Sorry Stosh, if I know someone is a registered sex offender and it is a youth event - scouts, school, sports, ... I would remove that person.

I'm not waiting for council to write him a letter.

• Upvote 2
Thankfully in my city that would never happen. Offenders cannot live that close to parks or schools. They can't even live near bus stops' date=' school routes or any place children might frequent. They must register and they are tracked on a website open to the public which notes their location. Sucks for them? Yeah, but so did their crime so I have no sympathy. This guy should have known better...both prior to his crime and after. Had that been me I'd be too ashamed to show my face around kids, let alone scouts. Shame on him.[/quote'] How so ? I doubt he lived at the church he just showed up for the fundraiser. He can walk his dog past a school, eat at McDonalds and take a bus. As a parent I get the same hair raising, blood boiling, rage inducing emotional response when I think about the sexual predators all around us. I also understand Stosh's point. If we let these people out of jail and make their life intolerable very, very bad things are likely to happen. Forgiveness is one of the hardest tenants of my faith to follow and I fail it most of the time.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Forgiveness is one of the hardest tenants of my faith to follow and I fail it most of the time.

Yup. Your right. And I struggle as a Christian with that every day. However, the recidivism rate for this type of behavior is very high. Many claim it is a disease they cannot control. So, even if an alcoholic goes to jail for a manslaughter DWI, unless they get help AND stay away from the thing enticing them (booze), they are likely to be tempted. Sure he has the "right" to be there...and those people have the "right" to ask him to leave. IMHO it is poor judgement on his part. Especially as a former SM. Poor taste.

I can see both sides of the argument here. @JBlake47 points out that convicted sex offenders walk among us whether we know it or not. @mozartbrau and @RemeberSchiff have every reason to be offended by the crime that Mr. Dundas committed.

He was judged by his peers, convicted, and served his nine years in prison. I think we can safely say that his wife supports him because went with him to the fundraiser. However, it probably would have been more reasonable for Mr. Dundas to write a check to Troop 155 and stay away from the Scouts.

Forgiveness is hard.

My neighborhood is the dumping ground for the sexual predators for all of the surrounding burbs. Ya mozarts town is like one near me that had a grass strip running down the middle of the street that they designated parks so they effectively ban any sexual predator from living in their town. It isn't right that my neighborhood is his toilet for the human refuse that suburban boredom spawns.

I get 3 or 4 notifications a week in the mail from the police department with pictures and convictions listed on it letting me know they are in my neighborhood.

As pointed out they walk among us. You would never know........

So the the man has served his time and is probably following the his parole restrictions. He goes to a community even to enjoy himself. then is outed by that community.

So we are going to continue to punish him? According to the uptight suburbanites yes.........

Now ask me if I am going to trust him watching my son or daughter.

Sorry Stosh, if I know someone is a registered sex offender and it is a youth event - scouts, school, sports, ... I would remove that person.

I'm not waiting for council to write him a letter.

And he would have every right to have you arrested for harassment, or if you touch him or forcibly remove him, battery or at least assault.

I agree it's a hot issue, but that's why I said let the law enforcement people do their job. If they aren't stepping in, then that's an area I surely don't want to step in on.

I don't think anyone in the council will do anything either. He's not a registered scouter and I don't think you want the SE showing up at a troop fundraiser and making a scene with someone who has come to help out the scouts.

Stosh

The last thing you want is a police blotter about how a former Scoutmaster / child molester was arrested. That will make the news, and people will just hear "Scoutmaster" / "Child Molester" / "Scout event"

Glad people recognized him, protected the Scouts, and try to keep it quiet.

The last thing you want is a police blotter about how a former Scoutmaster / child molester was arrested. That will make the news, and people will just hear "Scoutmaster" / "Child Molester" / "Scout event"

Glad people recognized him, protected the Scouts, and try to keep it quiet.

With a room full of people who have come to support the troop, I'm sure this guy isn't going to do anything out of the ordinary except eat a meal, bid on the auction and write a check. He's looking to find some normalcy in his life once again. I would just let him be, he has more hassles in his life with long memories, government hassles and the media, I don't need to be adding to it.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

He's looking to find some normalcy in his life once again. I would just let him be, he has more hassles in his life with long memories, government hassles and the media, I don't need to be adding to it.

Riiiight. And I am sure his victims have no hassles to deal with. I feel for this guy...not.