Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

This should have been dealt with at the same time as youth membership.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peregrinator: the only way to "enforce" that kind of rule is to pick leaders who are mature enough to understand the appropriate time and place for having sex is not a Boy Scout trip. Maybe I've set an unreasonable standard. Nextgen: your standing as a current youth member gives you a unique insight that is rare on this forum. I'd love to see your opinions on a range of topics here. But you could use practice on how to present your opinions. My advice to you wasn't to stop posting, but to remove that one post to avoid the conflict that was going to come because of it. That's not a condemnation of you, but a helping hand.

Comment

I understand, and you can't get rid of me this easily. That is why I removed the post. I meant replying to some people since they don't seem to want to discus or engage in a debate. Continuing on with the topic, how is it any less perverted for two heterosexuals to have sex in front of young teen boys, then for two homosexuals? Frankly a camping trip with young boys isn't the place for sex. Anyone that does this should be banned from attending any future camping trips or scouting activities.

Comment

"But you could use practice on how to present your opinions."
        This is probably good advice for most of the rest of us as well. I certainly would not direct it specifically at Nextgenscouter1, especially considering what I've read from many others over the years. (and yes, I know this has an element of a pot calling a kettle a dark color.)

Comment

Packsaddle: my advice absolutely has an element of calling the kettle black. I remember my first few posts on the forum. Actually, I wish I didn't.

Comment

Better watch out, Sentinel, before you know it you'll be making gum-sucking noises and telling the boys as they roll their eyes, "....yep, I can remember the day when....."

Comment

Originally posted by duckfoot View Post
              This!! Exactly...they need to get in front of this issue and the atheist issue as well. These new parents won't let their kids join a backward, outdated organization...
              Other backwards things to get out in front of:
              Building "pioneering" things.
              Starting fires with anything except a Burnz-o-matic torch
              Cooking on fires
              Sleeping on the ground
              Gulash
              Modern-era concepts of absolute truth, morality, etc. in a post-modern era
              Patriotism
              Fuel-burning lanterns
              Any first aid knowledge beyond "call 911"
              Uniforms

Comment

Continuing on with the topic, how is it any less perverted for two heterosexuals to have sex in front of young teen boys, then for two homosexuals? Frankly a camping trip with young boys isn't the place for sex.

Of course there shouldn't be any actual sexual activity taking place in front of the boys. I think I mentioned displays of affection, which isn't a euphemism for sex. Maybe parents don't want their young, impressionable boys to see grown men holding hands or hugging around the campfire. But maybe there's a rule against actual married couples doing even that.

Comment

After watching these discussions on several different forums for years, I believe talking about sex acts in front of scouts is really a diversion to take the discussion away from the real issue. The image of knowingly living a lifestyle can have just as much an impression on youth as visually witnessing acts of the lifestyle. The real question that scares a lot of folks is: are you, as a parent, willing to risk your son experimenting with a lifestyle simply because he was influenced by the image of a scout leader? Drugs, smoking, drinking, infidelity, KKK, homosexuality. You don't think we adults have that kind of power? I can name four scouts who credit me for becoming engineers. Our relationships from our contact with scouts can certainly has power of influence. Their respect for us can influence their chooses based from their impressions of their images of us. Barry

Comment

I actually know of a few gay engineers. One of them does smoke and they all like beer but not to excess, at least not that I've seen. I doubt that any of them do drugs and as far as I know they're faithful to their partners. None of them are members of the KKK. I'd be just fine having them as role models.

Comment

• If discussing sex is a diversion of the conversation it wasn't I that originally referred to Scouts overhearing "animal noises" coming from another tent. Packsaddle: I think you completely missed Eagledads point.

Comment

• Eagledad, not talking about gays, and shielding your children won't make them disappear. I understand the urge to protect your children, but if your afraid that your children are so easily influenced, then they shouldn't be allowed to go on the internet or watch television. You should also home school your children, and not allow them out of the house at all. That means no sports, friends, (unless they are in the same homeschooling group) and boy scouts.
                        Finally, has it ever been considered that we should ask the scouts what they think? The program was created for them after all.

Comment

• NextGenScouter1 ... Many parents don't let their eleven year olds on the internet or watch TV. And they often home school or not let them on the school bus. I know parents that only do sports teams thru their church or home school association.

Comment

• Nextgen, scouting is an adult program to help boys develop habits of making moral and ethical decisions. And I understand you opinion of allowing anyone to influence kids. With in mind, how do you feel about the BSA requiring random background checks on adults?

Comment

• Oh, I also don't think you understand about protecting our kids nextgen sense you don't have any. I also don't think you have a clue of the responsibility of protecting other peoples kids either. Nothing you have said suggest you have walked in those shoes. Barry

Comment

• I hope Nextgenscouter1 will forgive me for stepping in but I have a tendency to defend students who are trying to make a point to faculty and I'm reacting under that impulse here....I can't speak for him but in his defense, I note that his lack of personal experience as a parent does not diminish his direct experience, much more recently than most of the rest of us, as one of those young persons we try to protect. And 'since' he does have that recent direct experience I respect his 'sense' regarding this issue, even if his expression of it could be more effective. He has a personal view that is worth expression and I think he should not be dismissed simply because of his youth. On the contrary, 'since' he WAS very recently one of those youth whom we might have tried to protect, I would think his view should be welcomed as a rare chance to hear from that perspective directly, rather than to foist our protective impulses simply from our own perspectives, long, long removed from the time we were that age.

Comment

Working...
                                X