Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

This should have been dealt with at the same time as youth membership.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huzzar View Post
    Correct. World Jambo in 2007 also had a beer tent for adult staff. BSA members had to follow USA national policies so no beer, no girls (except female Venturers on staff) and no gays.
    That may be the case, but the majority of particpants at a world jamboree are not from BSA. That means that those BSA members participating will mix with girls, gays and atheists from across the world. It's just the way it is. I'll be interested to see how this is handled in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagledad View Post
      Yes Pack, we certainly don't want to feel bad about ourselves when we are held accountable for saying something stupid. After all attacking other people is secondary to our own agenda. I'm sure we can justify that somewhere in the scout law if we just keep looking. Barry
      What are you talking about Eagledad?

Comment

While scanning this thread my mind wandered into a minefield:
        If BSA allows gay leaders:

Can 2 gay men share a tent?
        Since two straight male leaders can share a tent, there is no way/reason to deny 2 gay leaders.
        If they are a couple and make animal noises at night?

Having set the precedence of allowing gay couples to enjoy each other's company in the woods, how can BSA deny straight couples the same privilege?

I'll refrain from more speculation...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob View Post
          While scanning this thread my mind wandered into a minefield: If BSA allows gay leaders: Can 2 gay men share a tent? Since two straight male leaders can share a tent, there is no way/reason to deny 2 gay leaders. If they are a couple and make animal noises at night? Having set the precedence of allowing gay couples to enjoy each other's company in the woods, how can BSA deny straight couples the same privilege?
          Nobody should be having sex on a BSA camping trip. Plenty of heterosexual married couples have gone camping and shared a tent. I didn't hear any "animal noises" coming from the tent next to mine. I expect any gay leader couple to refrain from getting it on, the same way I expect it from straight leaders couples.

Comment

>>What are you talking about Eagledad?<<

I confronted a forum member for making disrespectful remarks against people who believed differently on the gay adult leader issue. That member withdrew his reply to me which basically said that he misstated the point he was really trying say. Pack defended the member's frustration by suggesting he was targeted (by me) to further an agenda. My point to pack was that holding someone accountable for their words is not some clever way to further some kind of agenda. I agree that is how many folks on this forum operate, but it’s not my style. I only felt that the poster could have made the same point with the same impact without having to disparage those who think differently.

I feel that we all should feel safe to make our points without trying to knock the other person down a notch. How in the world are we supposed to understand the issues if we are force to spend the discussion defending against attacks? In fact I feel if a poster can’t make a point without trying to knock someone down in the process, the point likely can’t stand up by itself anyway.

The original poster said he was only trying to say that a lot of people push these debates for a personal gain of an politico agenda and could really care less how the program suffers from the fallout. That’s a very astute and reasonable point. I don’t know why he withdrew his explanation except that maybe he was a little embarrassed by his first attempt.

Barry
            Last edited by Eagledad; 04-04-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Eagledad. I think most of nextgens beef is with Huzzar. Not you. Nextgen removed his post because I contacted him and recommended he do such. He's a Scout. He's got a ways to learn in building an argument and participating in an argument. I joined the forum at 18 and really struggled to form clear, unemotional arguments when I first joined. I'd like to say I've improved quite a bit the last two years. I agree with you. The lack of civility on this forum is saddening, but is light years ahead of many other corners of the internet. Maybe I missed a post or two, but I've been watching this thread closely.

Comment

Nobody should be having sex on a BSA camping trip.

Is that a rule? And if so can it be enforced?

Comment

These new parents won't let their kids join a backward, outdated organization...

A scouting association will always be backward and outdated as long as it adheres to the principles of its founder.

Comment

>>Eagledad. I think most of nextgens beef is with Huzzar.<<

Yes, it was. And I can see I misunderstood because he made his point more in passing than directly at Huzzar, if that was his target. But because he is young, I wanted him to understand how he was coming across. Even though his clarification made more sense, I still felt he needed to understand he needed a different approach. We were both concerned for him. Maybe you handled it better. Barry

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob View Post
                      While scanning this thread my mind wandered into a minefield:
                      If BSA allows gay leaders:Can 2 gay men share a tent?
                      Since two straight male leaders can share a tent, there is no way/reason to deny 2 gay leaders.
                      If they are a couple and make animal noises at night?
                      Having set the precedence of allowing gay couples to enjoy each other's company in the woods, how can BSA deny straight couples the same privilege?
                      I'll refrain from more speculation...
                      BSA doesn't. Heterosexual couples can share a tent at BSA events. I've seen it myself, and for Cub Scout events, I've done it myself.

From G2ss:
                      1. Male and female leaders must have separate sleeping facilities. Married couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Peregrinator View Post
                        Nobody should be having sex on a BSA camping trip.

Is that a rule? And if so can it be enforced?
                        It's usually enforced accidentally by the kid(s) stomping around camp after lights out right after you've hunkered down with the Mrs. Sometimes 300 feet isn't far enough ...

Not that I'm bitter about it or anything ...

Comment

Eagledad, nice of you to agree with me. Thanks

Comment

Peregrinator: I must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying it's allowed for heterosexual leaders to have sex on a camping trip? While it's not a formal written rule, I'd assume it's a common sense rule. In my opinion, Boy Scout trips aren't romantic getaways for leaders. Gay, straight or otherwise.

Comment

Are you saying it's allowed for heterosexual leaders to have sex on a camping trip?

I think it's a bad idea. But I was simply asking whether it is a rule and if it is, how it is enforced. I don't think it could be enforced even if it were a formal rule.

Comment

I have no beef with you Eagledad. It was directed at Huzzer who was treating my views as secondary compared to the rest of the people here. After talking with Sentinel, I just deleted the post with my response to Huzzer, in the end it just wasn't worth it. In the end there is no reason for me to even post, since my views will just be discounted.

Comment

Working...
                                X