Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

This should have been dealt with at the same time as youth membership.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huzzar View Post
    Nextgenscouter1, here's the deal. Your opinion is secondary to that of Scout parents. I strongly suspect you'll have an epiphany if you are asked to send your 10.5 year old crossover son to summer camp with two gay guys.
    I strongly suspect there are already gay leaders already in the Boy Scouts today. I strongly suspect some of those gay leaders are going to take Scouts camping this weekend, and nothing will happen. Being "openly avowed" doesn't magically switch on a pedophile switch.Sexual abusers come in all shapes, races, and ages. They come from every background.

That's why we have Youth Protection Training. Openly avowed homosexual leaders would still be subject to Youth Protection Training, just like every other leader.

Therefore I suspect Nextgenscouter is not going to have an epiphany when/if he has a son who is a Scout.

Comment

Sentinel947 ... I think everyone agrees with your statement on the risk of abuse. No one raised a pedophile concern before your post. But you are correct there too. Pedophiles come in all shape, sizes, ages, genders and orientations. Two deep leadership is key to addressing it.

The issue most parents have is with the example and the association. Kids grow up eventually, but many parents want to shield their kids from the complexities of life. It's the same reason so many parents home school kids. Same reason so many parents drop off and pick up their kids from school instead of having them ride the school bus. Same reason parents have their kids in scouts. Same reason a song was written about WW1 with the lyrics "
      How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm ...
      After they've seen Paree'.

Comment

"The issue most parents have..."
        Fred, I think that although we might disagree on some aspects of this issue, we are in agreement with regard to local option. But I have to confess that I have not encountered, in this area, the feeling that the above quote seems to describe. Do you know of a survey or study or some kind of poll that supports that observation? Or are you actually thinking in terms of 'most parents who still have concerns about this issue'?

Comment

Fred: I read Huzzars comment as implying that a 10.5 year old camping with two gay leaders would be in danger. Basically that they would abuse the child.

Comment

Huzzer I'm glad you know me so well that you can predict what I will do in the future (sarc). To answer your question I wouldn't care, I don't believe in prejudging someone over their sexuality. That would be the same as saying I wouldn't let my son go on a trip with an African American man because he would shoot my son, or with a Mexican man because he would install a bad work habit in my son. Or a Muslim man because he will make my son blow up a building. See my point? You are stereotyping and what is even worse is what gives you the right to say how I would act? Also why is my opinion "secondary"? Why do random people have a better say in an issue then I do. Why should you have a say? Why don't we just suspend all free speech for people who disagree since their view doesn't matter.

Comment

Eagledad I meant the people trying to get gays into scouting. Such as the people who sue scouting if they don't allow gay scouts. Not the anti gay parents. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Such as when the mayor of Philadelphia sued the COL for "not allowing gay members". Since he wanted back the property that the city had gifted to the COL for one dollar a year. My point is these people who are against the BSA will use our policies on Gay leaders for their own purpose. Not because they care about the gay leaders who can't join scouts. Again sorry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by nextgenscouter1 View Post
                Since he wanted back the property that the city had gifted to the COL for one dollar a year.
                It wasn't gifted, it was leased for $1/year and either party could end the lease by giving 1 year's notice.

Comment

Is it possible there are some dishonest liars who happen to be gay taking boys camping? Sure, but I'm not going to applaud dishonest liars.

Pedophilia has nothing to do with my opposition to two gay men wanting to take boys in the woods.

Comment

Oh...nextgen...your opinion is secondary to that of parents because BSA knows who the real decision-makers are in a boy's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Huzzar View Post
                      Oh...nextgen...your opinion is secondary to that of parents because BSA knows who the real decision-makers are in a boy's life.
                      Keep riding that horse, because when the Millennials start having Scout age kids, your opinion is going to be secondary. It's a matter of demographics and it's only a matter of time. So while the policy stands for now, the end game is approaching, and the BSA is going to have to make the switch.

"Among general population teens and Boy Scouts and Venturers alike, a majority oppose the current Boy Scouts of America membership policy."
                      Last edited by Sentinel947; 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I shouldn't have even bothered to respond, so I just deleted the message.
                        Last edited by nextgenscouter1; 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

nextgenscouter1, try not to let these things get under your skin. Reacting is just feeding it. There's no need to respond...in fact sometimes it's best to let that stuff just lie there and speak for itself.

Comment

FWIW, I did not read Huzzar's comment as having anything to do with pedophilia, at least not until he made his follow-up comment. Maybe parents don't want junior to see displays of affection between two open and partnered homosexuals.

Comment

Yes Pack, we certainly don't want to feel bad about ourselves when we are held accountable for saying something stupid. After all attacking other people is secondary to our own agenda. I'm sure we can justify that somewhere in the scout law if we just keep looking. Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinel947 View Post

Keep riding that horse, because when the Millennial start having Scout age kids, your opinion is going to be secondary. It's a matter of demographics, and it's only a matter of time. So while the policy stands for now, the end game is approaching, and the BSA is going to have to make the switch.
                                This!! Exactly...they need to get in front of this issue and the atheist issue as well. These new parents won't let their kids join a backward, outdated organization...

Comment

Working...
                                X