Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

This should have been dealt with at the same time as youth membership.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This should have been dealt with at the same time as youth membership.

They took the coward's way out and will now have to deal with stories like this for years to come, or until some people uninsert their collective heads from their nether regions.

direct link: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-leader-n67961
    Last edited by duckfoot; 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM. Reason: edit for the direct link....again

As soon as he called in the press, he over stepped his stated reasons. It is one thing to simply run a program with local knowledge; another to make yourself the focus of publicity for the benefit of political groups. It is good though to hear the church as chosen to continue with the program. And I would not be surprised to soon see BSA move towards adult acceptance, once they can figure out how to keep it to minimal friction and negativity. The whole problem from the start has been the need of the Gay Agenda groups to keep making it a public issue, rather than letting things evolve slowly through the growth in the movement and the changing societal norms. But they really could care less about the damage they continue to do by politicizing it. JMO, so please refrain from throwing nasty comments and innuendos.

Comment

Miranda has invited others to 'test the waters' if they think it might end differently for them. Wonder if anyone will email her? I'll ask around and see if anyone is so inclined.

Comment

Skeptic - you imply that Mr. McGrath initiated contact with the press on this issue. Where did you get that information?

Comment

I think skep's doublespeak radar went up on "McGrath said starting the unit was not a publicity stunt but a bid to serve youth and rejoin the contentious discussion around gay and lesbian adult membership." There is a little trolling going on here. It could just as easily be the socially progressive CO who made the call.

Comment

Originally posted by acco40 View Post
            Skeptic - you imply that Mr. McGrath initiated contact with the press on this issue. Where did you get that information?
            Probably from reading the article:
            Moulds said she found out McGrath was gay only after NBC News contacted her. “It was then that we became aware of his intentions to make a public statement about his orientation
            Last edited by Scouter99; 04-01-2014, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by packsaddle View Post
              Miranda has invited others to 'test the waters' if they think it might end differently for them. Wonder if anyone will email her? I'll ask around and see if anyone is so inclined.
              She's written a lot of articles on the subject and ends them all with the same plea: http://youtu.be/zof07-6LOyE

"Her beats include . . . the Boy Scouts" by which she means she beats on BSA.
              Last edited by Scouter99; 04-01-2014, 12:04 AM.

Comment

This story proves to the many pro gay people who say it's not about sex that it is exactly about sex. The gay community wants the lifestyle to be recognized as normal just like the heterosexual lifestyle. They don't want a local option anymore than the conservative community and I don't blame them. The local option still implies they are different. But they also do it to themselves; this SM admits he used the troop to make a point about his different lifestyle. The BSA is in a difficult position. Barry
                Last edited by Eagledad; 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I wish the BSA had gone with the local option. It would fit with our current practice which is that the CO has control of who is a Scout Leader for the troop/pack/crews. Allowing gay Boy Scouts has never been a big problem, IMHO, and I have no problem with that part of the decision.

Comment

Keeping the policy in place is only delaying the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagledad View Post
                      This story proves to the many pro gay people who say it's not about sex that it is exactly about sex. The gay community wants the lifestyle to be recognized as normal just like the heterosexual lifestyle. They don't want a local option anymore than the conservative community and I don't blame them. The local option still implies they are different. But they also do it to themselves; this SM admits he used the troop to make a point about his different lifestyle. The BSA is in a difficult position. Barry
                      No, it is about not being discriminated against on the basis of something that is NOT A CHOICE for them. It is about equality and respect. It is about them being able to be HONEST (a point of Scout Law) about who they are. Funny how no one ever asked my about my sexual preferences or religious beliefs when I filled out my application. I signed the form- so I obviously believe in something. Other than that, why ask any questions? Isn't that part of us living in a free society? Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness isn't just a nice thought- it is the foundation of everything we are. Do I agree with everything this particular person has done? No, but I understand why they feel the need to speak out and take action. We, as adults committed to bettering the youth of our nation, need to open the eyes, hearts and minds of those around us. I don't care what religious beliefs you have, and I certainly don't care who you fall in love with. I belong to a Fraternity that has a great line as part of its history: "Not for Wealth, Rank or Honor, but for Personal Worth and Character". I am proud to wear the badge of this fine and storied institution, just as I am proud to wear the uniform of the BSA. But, I would be remiss in my duty to the organization and the youth it serves if I don't say anything when I think they are doing wrong.

Comment

Time to move onto the charter org local option. Let charter orgs choose their leaders. As for me and my kids, it's wrong and I'll exercise my choice to have my 11 year old son not see that example. As for "not a choice", that is a larger debate and it does not fit in this column.

Comment

>> It is about equality and respect.<<

That is just what I said, I'm not really sure why you used my post to introduce you point because it only supported my main point.

Barry

Comment

Barry- you started by saying that it IS about sex. It isn't. If I am misconstruing, I apologize.

Comment

Fred- Sorry you feel that way. Not sure about your reasoning, but if it is a Christian thing, you (and many others) need to do some more studying.

Comment

Working...
                              X