The Mouse Monolith vs. the BSA

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merlyn - Another off topic comment to further an agenda that has a limited number of advocates in Scouting?

Is anybody really surprised that companies like Disney continue to withdraw support for Scouting? It didn't matter which side of the gay debate you were on, most of us guessed that the half-assed chan

jblake - I believe in the principles of scouting.. We are to be non-sectarian, reverent, and welcoming of diversity.. Now all we need to do is change the policy that has strayed away from those prin

what is more pressing then the membership decline, is the donation decline.

Either way I'm shocked Disney was still giving money to the BSA seeing how they do everything possibly to spend less, and are against the pro american values of the BSA.

So, loose 100,000 members ... that's about 2 million in income from registration fees alone.

Disney's contributions were only in proportion to its employees who donated to BSA. If 1 in 12 who were donating to BSA left, it's unlikely they would apply for matching funds anyway.

Since most corporation contributions operate via matching funds without prejudice as to the groups their employers support, nationwide, membership decline will has a greater long-term direct impact on corporate donations nationwide.

Just another secular/political/social organization trying to dictate the standards of someone's religious tenets. Our forefathers left Europe along with millions of other parts of the world to get away from such activity. When will the world learn, dictating religion of any faith just doesn't work.

BSA is a religious (A Scout is Reverent) organization. Not just one religion, but all religions. Now if you are not religious, so be it. Start an outdoor program that has only 11 Laws, but don't dictate to those who would like 12.

Stosh

Companies that make these kinds of decisions are just as wrong as the groups they choose to not recognize may be. It is ALL money and politics.

If a company has a program to match legitimate giving by their employees, then it should not be passing judgement on who the employees choose to aid. By doing so, they are being hypocrites. Granted, they have the right to control where their corporate dollars go in regard to charity; but if they have these matching dollar programs, they should not be tied to the corporate decisions, as they are singling out personal actions of their employees. If they feel they need to do that, then they simply should eliminate the entire matching program.

But few companies have the courage to stand up to the power of the Gay lobbies. And when one does, they find themselves in the sights of media and a firestorm of negative press.

BSA though needs to take the final step to allow leaders as well, as long as those leaders meet the conditions of the individual charter org. Then it is no longer a broad brush decision, but a local one. Of course that will still not satisfy the PC police that feel they have the right to tell people and private groups what they should believe and what they should do. The field of battle will simply be refocused I fear.

Companies that make these kinds of decisions are just as wrong as the groups they choose to not recognize may be. It is ALL money and politics.

If a company has a program to match legitimate giving by their employees, then it should not be passing judgement on who the employees choose to aid. By doing so, they are being hypocrites. Granted, they have the right to control where their corporate dollars go in regard to charity; but if they have these matching dollar programs, they should not be tied to the corporate decisions, as they are singling out personal actions of their employees. If they feel they need to do that, then they simply should eliminate the entire matching program.

But few companies have the courage to stand up to the power of the Gay lobbies. And when one does, they find themselves in the sights of media and a firestorm of negative press.

BSA though needs to take the final step to allow leaders as well, as long as those leaders meet the conditions of the individual charter org. Then it is no longer a broad brush decision, but a local one. Of course that will still not satisfy the PC police that feel they have the right to tell people and private groups what they should believe and what they should do. The field of battle will simply be refocused I fear.

The hypocrisy of politics comes into play when one group can dictate demands on another while making sure that group can't dictate any demands on them. Or in the case of the majority of those groups, simply want to be left alone. Push them far enough they will defend themselves and then the first group will cry foul!

By the way, both intolerant sides work this way.

Stosh

Just another secular/political/social organization trying to dictate the standards of someone's religious tenets. Our forefathers left Europe along with millions of other parts of the world to get away from such activity. When will the world learn, dictating religion of any faith just doesn't work.

BSA is a religious (A Scout is Reverent) organization. Not just one religion, but all religions. Now if you are not religious, so be it. Start an outdoor program that has only 11 Laws, but don't dictate to those who would like 12.

Stosh

jblacke47 wrote: "BSA is a religious (A Scout is Reverent) organization. Not just one religion, but all religions."

Really? You believe that? So if my religious faith says there is nothing wrong with being gay, my unit can have gay adult leaders? Of course not. Your statements on this forum show that you believe that your faith trumps anyone's that disagrees with yours. Allowing others to follow their faith is "dictating to your faith". Or are you one of those that believe that Unitarians or Episcopalians aren't real religions, or that they are not welcome in the BSA?

The reality is that you can be religious, yet not believe that being gay is a sin. Yet you don't want to recognize that as legitimate (see: "...but don't dictate to those who would like 12"). I am a scouter (and was a cub scout, boy scout and explorer scout in my youth), I consider myself to be a religious person, and I don't believe being gay is a sin. How come my beliefs don't count?

So much for Follow Me Boys 2 :(
I guess the next step for the Mouse would be to immediately stop the sale of all DVDs of FOLLOW ME BOYS and order the original masters destroyed at high noon on Main Street in Disneyland, to prevent the unfortunate misapprehension by the public that the Disney Corporation ever considered the BSA to be an organization that was ever in any way moral or worthy of support, and to then donate an amount equal to all past revenues from sales of the property to whatever LGBTQQ political action committee most loudly applauds their corporate decision, then to ruthlessly Photoshop Fred MacMurray and Kurt Russell out of any production photos taken with Walt Disney in the Disney archives, Oldschool Stalinist-style.

(In reality, however, I suspect that the Disney Corporation would give up any revenues from the sales of any property whatsoever only at such time as the funds can be pried loose from the cold, cryogenically frozen dead fingers of Uncle Walt, who is preserved deep in a frosty secret chamber inside Sleeping Beauty's Castle in Disneyland, awaiting the time when technological advances will allow the Disney technicians to implant his brain in an audioanimatronic body to again seize command of his empire. IMO.)

Stosh

The Law states a Scout is Reverent. It doesn't say he has to be political.

And if one believes it is okay to be homosexual, then that's fine, join a group that allows for that. Obviously there are other religious groups that allow for that, thus the many different religions.

If God made me a kleptomaniac, does that mean everyone around me has to accept me for who I am or are they going to persecute me? Probably lock me up in a heartbeat.

I'm not deaf so I am not ever going to join a deaf group. I'm not Roman Catholic, so don't hang around there, either. I'm not female so the professional woman's group where I work isn't attended by me. etc. etc. Some how I find it rather strange for me to march into someone else's group and demand they accept me into their group when I don't have the same interests, objectives, morals that they have. I have better things to do with my time. Others don't.

Stosh

Stosh

So if the ban on gay leaders is in violation of my religious beliefs, and I believe it's incompatible with the Scout Law and BSA's stated position of "completely nonsectarian", I should be quiet and just go away? Way to live "A Scout is Reverent".

If you don't want to be in a completely nonsectarian group like the BSA, you can move to Trail Life or some such group that isn't (see I too can say if you don't agree with me, go away - see how productive that is?).

Stosh

It's not an issue of what you and I think, it's an issue of what the group stands for. Why in the world would anyone want to join a group they don't believe in. I have no intention of ever joining the KKK for obvious reasons, I have no intention of joining AARP no matter how old I get, I'm not joining any veterans' groups because I'm not a veteran, and if Trail Life wants to have their own Christ-centric outdoor group, knock yourself out, but I'm not interested even if I am a conservative Christian.

Why would I ever want to join a group whose principles differ than mine? Well, unless I just want to make some kind of political stink. My mamma taught me that there are a lot of times in life where MYOB does make life better for everyone. Have I walked away from a group that changes it's rules in the middle of the stream? Yep, many times. I have better things to do than argue politics which for the most part accomplish nothing in the long run.

It used to be women, politics and religion were not discussed in polite society. For the most part people have their minds made up long before the first word is ever spoken.

Stosh

Stosh

umm how exactly is Disney dictating anything. You make it seem like they are required to donate to the Boy Scouts or they are somehow violating the Boy Scouts rights. They have exactly as much right to decide to associate with as the Boy Scouts do.