Cub master unethical behavior

The cub master of our pack is in my opinion behaving unethically, The pack has been chartered for 14 years under their direction and in that time it has never had a checking account, they refuse to make available the pack financials open to the parents, scouts are not advancing in a timely fashion or receiving belt loops or badges for things they should, no support from COR, never even knew who CO was until a few days ago even that was beyond their willingness to relay, I got the info from being placed in the position of internet advancement processor. When confronted with this behavior, they blew up and acted very erratically and unprofessional. Any advice on what to do, the pack is in serious danger of dying there are only 5 active scouts in the entire pack, all others have left because of lack of activity in the pack, she won't allow the committee members to help, we have repeatedly asked, and it is refused but they complain about having to much on them... Not sure I want my son or myself to stay anymore in this unethical chaos.

Well, they are volunteers, so acting professional won't get them a raise. :( This is a common story in small packs. Look around for another Pack with the accountability you think you deserve.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Well, they are volunteers, so acting professional won't get them a raise. :( This is a common story in small packs. Look around for another Pack with the accountability you think you deserve.
It's not the accountability for myself but for the children that are left and are honestly trying. They deserve better than this. I've taken it upon myself to be their voice. I want all these kids to have a positive experience not just mine.

You state your problem is with the Cubmaster, yet you keep saying "they". Since "they" have been doing their own thing for the past 14 years now, with the approval of your Charter Organization (which is?), I doubt that anything will change any time soon.

Even with you as the Pack's "voice".

With only 5 Scouts in the Pack, and the CO firmly behind the CM, this is no longer a viable Scout unit.

Find a good, new, Pack, and take the rest of the boys with you when you transfer. They all deserve a real Scouting experience.

You state your problem is with the Cubmaster, yet you keep saying "they". Since "they" have been doing their own thing for the past 14 years now, with the approval of your Charter Organization (which is?), I doubt that anything will change any time soon.

With only 5 Scouts in the Pack, and the CO firmly behind the CM, this is no longer a viable Scout unit.

Find a good, new, Pack, and take the rest of the boys with you when you transfer. They all deserve a real Scouting experience.

They being the CM & the COR,who happens to be the Committee Chair as well as the Executive Officer, Neither will return my calls, Myself & another Den leader were asked to be committee members, once signed up and agreed we were told by the CM that it would be on paper only, All other Den leaders have left, Tiger,& Bear The other volunteer who was asked to be a committee member was the Webelos Den leader, My husband took over the Tiger & Bear leader, he was already leader of Wolf pack with me being assistant den leader, so the kids could keep coming to meeting and doing activities to try and help them advance, The Webelos is working her son's book at home.This pack has no hiarchy as far as committee, I know I seem to keep beating a dead horse so to speak, but I honestly hate the thought of giving up as well. Could I take this to the council ?? and hope to get any support

How difficult is it to Start a new Cub Scout Unit?? I ask this because the other unit is the only one close to many of the parents the others are 25-30 miles away, several in another state all together

Starting a new unit is not that hard. You need a chartering organization, such as VFW, elks lodge, PTA, Church, or a business. You will need a place to hold meetings, leaders, and 6 scouts. The paperwork is a few pages of forms.

Your Charter Organization runs/owns your Pack. Councils will not step into the middle of a unit squabble.

You might try contacting your District Commissioner, and asking for help talking with the CM, and the IH/COR/CC. The Dist Comm can't force them to change their ways, but he can at least try to talk some sense into them.

This unit is dead. The two people who run this are in it for themselves. Are they married? I would not waste anytime with this unit any longer. Transfer out to another Pack and inform your DE and other parents. Cut your losses now.

How difficult is it to Start a new Cub Scout Unit?? I ask this because the other unit is the only one close to many of the parents the others are 25-30 miles away, several in another state all together
It's easy to start one. Just approach your DE and the DE will literally jump at this opportunity to add a new unit number. The hard work is keeping it together and alive and healthy.

Wolfmom: Listen to all the above. The unit was formed under false pretenses. On face, it has only two officers, and I doubt if it was much different 14 years ago.. From your description, the two officers have no intention of being honest about the units finances or membership.

Speak to the other parents and speak to the District Commissioner (name should be available on your Council website, or by phone to the Council office. As has been said, it is fairly easy to found a new Cub Pack, provided you have a new Charter Org lined up. That is the hardest part. Church, temple, volunteer fire dept. Lions Club, American Legion , I even know of a Cub Pack sponsored by a Hardware Store. So it doesn't even need to be a non-profit organization.

Be true to your children's future and do not let these unfortunately led people spoil it (the future).

Yours in Scouting.

• Downvote 1
Starting a new unit is not that hard. You need a chartering organization, such as VFW, elks lodge, PTA, Church, or a business. You will need a place to hold meetings, leaders, and 6 scouts. The paperwork is a few pages of forms.
The Chartering Org can also be a "Group of Citizens", which can be the Committee.