Churches Evicting Troops, and a new organization

Recently a Troop in COL was evicted from their meeting place due to the new policy change, is this happening all over the country or is this just a few incidents? I also found a very interesting site, http://www.traillifeusa.com/ this is an alternative to the BSA do you think that this is stealing many boys or just a few? I personally find this new organization disturbing for many different reasons.The first is their oath which is a dead ringer of the boy scout, and then their "to respect authority" and then their accepting, any religion even for example a Muslim Wahabist but not allowing a Christian homosexual boy in. This was also one of my issues with BSA before they changed it. So my question is, what has the fallout been in your area due to policy change and will this new organization hurt the BSA?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, I've been trying to decide what to think about Trail Life, not that it matters much. But I've decided that I really like Trail Life and I'm really glad it's been formed. When I think about

I've only met two Scouts who went to a Trail Life unit. The gay issue was a cover for people dissatisfied with the BSA to start a strictly Christian. Youth group.

I don't think their oath is that similar. But even if it was, it's not like the BSA can claim that for their own. The original oath and law were written by Baden-Powell in his 1908 Scouting for Boys b

So far very few TLUSA have started around here - NH, MA.

If the theory was that CO's who asked their BSA troop to leave would automatically replace with a TLUSA unit, that is not happening here. The BSA unit finds another sponsor and/or the scouts leave or find another troop. Seems the TLUSA units are being formed by disgruntled scouters who are finding they need to reach out over a larger geographic area for members. Just an observation, it has been less than a year since they started.

My $0.02

A friend's grandkids are joining one down in TX. If his boy's any indication of the talent they're drawing, it's going to be a top-notch organization.
Oh, and they don't have any policy explicitly excluding homosexual boys from membership.

A friend of mine is hosting a "Trail Life USA Town Meeting" this Wednesday at 6 PM at the church which hosts our BSA Troop. I plan to attend.

The name "Trail Life" is promising but the slogan "Adventure, Character, and Leadership" is troublesome, since the BSA has used the slogan "Character and Leadership" to explain why they took the Adventure (and the "Real Patrol" Method) out of Scouting in 1972.

A friend of mine is hosting a "Trail Life USA Town Meeting" this Wednesday at 6 PM at the church which hosts our BSA Troop. I plan to attend.

The name "Trail Life" is promising but the slogan "Adventure, Character, and Leadership" is troublesome, since the BSA has used the slogan "Character and Leadership" to explain why they took the Adventure (and the "Real Patrol" Method) out of Scouting in 1972.

You should challenge him to a duel or at least a knot-tying relay. :p

Or join them since the BSA drives you up a wall.
A friend's grandkids are joining one down in TX. If his boy's any indication of the talent they're drawing, it's going to be a top-notch organization.
I took this to mean they wouldn't allow in homosexual boys. "The basis for the program’s ethical and moral standards is found in the Bible. In terms of sexual identification and behavior, we affirm that any sexual activity outside the context of the covenant of marriage between one man and one woman is sinful before God and therefore inconsistent with the values and principles of the program.

Within these limits, we grant membership to adults and youth who do not engage in or promote sexual immorality of any kind"

Maybe I misunderstood this. However, if we follow the reasons that this is why they left the BSA and the quote above, then I would think otherwise.

Trail Life doesn't appear to be growing where I live. There are no units within 50 miles as best I can tell.

I think they'll end up about the size of American Heritage Girls, which has the same outlook as they do.

Just another choice for a kid's time, no great threat to BSA.