Eagle Scout. Idealist. Drug Trafficker?

Every parent's nightmare that somehow, somewhere that fine child you raised is now off on his own, takes a wrong turn, loses himself, and doesn't seek/accept help... In some ways, this story reminded me of that depressing book "Into the Wild".

My $0.01

Sentinel, it doesn't discredit a single other Eagle Scout as far as I'm concerned. We are all of us, each of us, individuals with our individual talents, abilities, and faults. To me, the tragic fall of this individual (if that is what it is) is something that applies to him and not to any other individual. It does, however, cause me to rethink claims that scouting builds character. Perhaps scouting provides opportunities for individuals to build their own character, and while that is a good thing, it is a different matter.

But it IS an interesting story.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Every parent's nightmare that somehow, somewhere that fine child you raised is now off on his own, takes a wrong turn, loses himself, and doesn't seek/accept help... In some ways, this story reminded me of that depressing book "Into the Wild".

My $0.01

But at least that guy only went to his own grave. I can only imagine the increase of human suffering that accompanied this drug trade enhancement.
Sad. Obviously the whole Oath and Law thing didn't really factor into his life much. Brings great discredit to other Eagle Scouts who do what they are supposed to.

Sentinel947

So how does completing a checklist make him a better person??????

As many have said, Eagles are just people.

I am beginning to for the hypothesis that, They are just people who are given opportunity.

There is a lot to this story, probably much more than we know right now. Like how this guy lived to entirely different lives, one that his friends and family saw and in which he was loving, compassionate, caring, charitable, pretty much everything a scout should embody. And then there was the other life, his Silk Road persona in which he was capable of anything, including murder-for-hire.

Certainly the evidence against him is significant. But I'd wait to judge this whole story before we know more. I suspect we'll be finding out that this all goes far deeper than we could imagine right now.