Gay policy takes effect, no apparent mass exodus

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yawn,   I have a full troop, we have a meeting tonight. there is a gay leader in the troop. Sorry to disappoint, but scouting here locally is a live and well.  

I guess I have some difficulty too, even though not a atheist.. 2 packs, 3 troops, 1 Venture crew and fairly good knowledge of other units though I was never a member of.. The oath does have God in it

"However, he said if his sons had a gay leader, "we would have to take a look at making other arrangements."" Gay leaders (role models) is and has been the main issue from the beginning. Barry
And from the beginning there have been gay leaders (role models). The issue is whether others happen to know the adult is gay. If an adult was a good role model when no one knew he/she was gay, how/why do they cease to be a good role model when others find out that person is gay? To me, the answer to that question is the most telling.
"However, he said if his sons had a gay leader, "we would have to take a look at making other arrangements."" Gay leaders (role models) is and has been the main issue from the beginning. Barry
Not really DT, role modeling also includes our values. Would you want young boys follow a SM who is also a known KKK leader? Like it or not, we hold people accountable to the values they represent. Doctors, police, priest, are titles that represent values we expect them to role model. Barry

No mass (or minor) influx of gay kids either. So we're where we always thought we were, pandering to the AT&T dude cos he was getting stick at shareholder meetings.

Next up, will Gates be Stephenson's guy to push the change for adults?

Doesn't seem have hurt the Scouting Association in the UK for the past few years.
The Canadian Scout are struggling to survive. The European values are certainly more liberal than North American.
Re: Canada.... Numbers declined steadily from 1965 onwards. In 2002 they had a major reorganisation. By 2005 the decline had stopped and indeed since then they have shown a modest increase from about 99000 to 101000. Indeed my troop is twinned with one in Canada who are thriving. Given that I don't think anyone should be pointing at recent liberal attitudes for any fall in numbers anywhere.
So he remains in a troop that does not have a gay leader. His problem is solved.. He did not say if they BSA allows in gay leaders, simply he would not want to be in a troop with a gay leader.. Fair enough.
I don't remember the exact numbers, but the Canadian Scouts is a fraction of what it was in 2002. That is the result of liberalism. Canada used to be considered the best scouting program in the world. They barley resemble that program now. The best that can be said is they finally hit bottom. They are still struggling to keep their heads above water. As for the BSA, the numbers will never be as good as 2013. That is a direct result of liberalism. Especially if they invite gay adults.
No mass (or minor) influx of gay kids either. So we're where we always thought we were, pandering to the AT&T dude cos he was getting stick at shareholder meetings.

Next up, will Gates be Stephenson's guy to push the change for adults?

I missed that from his comments. And if you are talking personally, then remember this may be the view of a few, but not all.. Look at the following comment.

"The Black Warrior Council, based in Tuscaloosa, has added members this year, according to Scout Executive Ed Martin. The council expects to finish 2013 with 3,515 youth and 956 adult volunteers, up from 2,861 youth and 862 adults reported last spring."

Is that Tuscaloosa ALABAMA !! One of the southern states that was to have mass exodus?? The Council may have had other tricks up their sleeve to bring in this upturn, rather then standing on a corner waving a flag "Gay youth now Welcomed".. But, one thing for sure, the change did not scare people away..

Also there was a comment that of the few CO's that dropped out, the units had a new CO happy to sponsor them in a very short time..

The Doomsday scenario did not happen.. Let's see if there is any uptick.. I don't expect much until the whole gay ban is dropped.. But, we do have a good start to allowing BSA to see that this change will not be disastrous.. Give it a few years for everything to get more comfortable, and then soon we can let the other shoe to drop.

And Englands' scout numbers have sky rocketed.. So..... Maybe not...
BSA does allow gay leaders. BSA always has. Gay leaders do exist and always have. They just can't be 'avowed'. They're here....and you have no idea who they are. Have a nice day.
Moose, I certainly don't claim UK scout numbers have spiralled because of more liberal values. To do so is just as absurd as saying Canadian numbers have dropped because of it. In both cases it is far more complex than that.

Anyone that tries to pin either on policy on sexuality is being at best simplistic.

Moose, I certainly don't claim UK scout numbers have spiralled because of more liberal values. To do so is just as absurd as saying Canadian numbers have dropped because of it. In both cases it is far more complex than that.

Anyone that tries to pin either on policy on sexuality is being at best simplistic.