X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert M. Gates, National President-elect

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so here it is.
    Robert M. Gates, a Distinguished Eagle Scout and our nation’s 22nd secretary of defense, has been elected to the national executive board of the Boy Scouts of America. Gates will serve as a member of the executive committee and as the national president-elect. This move means that upon approval of voting members of the National…

From what I have read he had long been a supporter of scouts with a boy in. I know he had gone as a scout dad on some outings because of tales of his security detail having to come along. I cannot recall if I read that here or from a scouter friend in the Joint Chiefs.

Comment

He was in Dark Avengers #9

Comment

• Tampa Turtle
        Tampa Turtle commented
        Editing a comment
        Well there you go, Bob's your uncle.

Well us miscreants can't hide our identities any longer. We are going to start disappearing one by one.

Comment

If past behavior predicts future behavior, I'm optimistic for the BSA

Gates Has a Long, Loooong Record of Firing Generals

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010...ring-generals/

Comment

• RememberSchiff
          RememberSchiff commented
          Editing a comment
          He was also known for his cost-cutting and base closures. Which may be needed if membership continues to drop.

• dcsimmons
          dcsimmons commented
          Editing a comment
          The generals he fired had a lot more than 4 rows of ribbons and were a lot more removed from the troops than the guys at your roundtable with 4 rows of knots. The chances of him making changes at that level in the BSA are slim. I'm not sure he's not bring brought in as a fall guy for the next two years before Stephenson takes over.

• Nike
          Nike commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe he's being brought in to prune the deadwood. He's not exactly an old softie.

I thought Stephenson was next up. My guess is that this is to try and diffuse the membership change for two years so that when Stephenson comes in he will have a better idea of whether or not he can force through the same change for adult leaders. Right now Stephenson is seen as the bad guy by the people that didn't want the change.

Oh...and Stephenson gives horribly boring speeches to the yoots, I think Gates handles that much better.

Comment

• dcsimmons
          dcsimmons commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of force the change through under Gates (not unlike DADT in the armed services), let him take whatever membership/political hit goes with it, then let Stephenson take credit for whatever rebound happens down the line. I'm thinking they need to get this out of the way in time to start recovering for the World Jamboree in '19.

This is spectacular news! I never thought, in my wildest dreams that I would ever "work" for Bob Gates again. I worked for SECDEF gates in OSD as a military officer, and I think he is 100% the best SECDEF in my lifetime. We have been hurting in DoD since his departure, and the national level BSA certainly needs his type of servant, data-driven leadership. This is the best news I have heard in a long time!

Comment

Col. Meyers: Major, what did you do before you were Chief Scout Executive?
          Major Powers: Supply, sir.
          Col. Myers: Were you any good at it?
          Major Powers: Yes, sir!
          Col.Meyers: Good! Cause you're a cluster flub* as a CSE!
          Gunny Highway: Hoo-ah

Or something like that. I've learned there is a Clint Eastwood quote fitting to just about any situation.

* TV version

Comment

While the National board certainly has some serious clout, do not fool yourself into thinking it automatically will cause changes, or that those proposed will necessarily actually happen. Certainly it is a good choice; but reality is that these positions are very often mostly just figure heads. They are still unpaid volunteers, though they are in charge of hiring and firing decisions at the top levels. Time will tell.

Comment

I thought Stephenson was next up. My guess is that this is to try and diffuse the membership change for two years so that when Stephenson comes in he will have a better idea of whether or not he can force through the same change for adult leaders. Right now Stephenson is seen as the bad guy by the people that didn't want the change.

This article theorizes that Stephenson jumped!
              http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2...esidency.html/

"Now, back to Stephenson, the AT&T CEO. He leads a company that has implemented progressive employment practices prohibiting discrimination based on sexual preference. Undoubtedly, as BSA president, his profile would have soared. He would have been subjected to repeated questions about why he spends time and energy on a youth development organization that discriminates.

No one thinks Stephenson, a skilled and powerful executive, was pushed out of the BSA presidency. Everyone knows he jumped. And it became clear that the zigging and zagging on the membership policy had to stop."
              Last edited by RememberSchiff; 01-11-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Maybe Gates will write a book when he leaves.

Comment

• RememberSchiff
                  RememberSchiff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will pick-up his new book "Duty" this week. Hope he writes another about the BSA. Maybe it will be titled "Honor"?
              Working...
              X