• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because of the congressional charter...scouters get the day off...

You know as Germany is paying for the entire European Union I was half expecting a statement today that Germany would also pay for the US ... ^o^

If all non-essential personal are furloughed, what are the congressmen still doing in the capital?   It is not an issue of Dems and Reps, it's a issue of people and government. Government (both pa

You do not have to worry about the government shutting down. The President and the Congressmen are still going to get their salary!
Well, as a Federal Employee, I'm not getting my salary!

It's hitting us hard. It's rural here and with the Forest Service, USDA, and Corp of Engineers shut down there are a lot of people out of work in town today.

You do not have to worry about the government shutting down. The President and the Congressmen are still going to get their salary!
Wife has to work, not furloughed....she'll get paid but not until things start up again. Which is better than being furloughed and not paid at all....just proves things could be worse.
I have been a little confused by the news reports (and by the past few comments.) Are there some federal employees who are working AND getting paid as usual, some who are working and getting paid but only after the shutdown ends, some who are NOT working but will still get paid when the shutdown ends, and some who are not working and won't ever get paid? I have heard of all these different scenarios but do not know whether they are all "real", or whether there might be some other categories I don't know about. In my office I have been getting notices that the federal courts are open for business as an "essential service" and I had sort of assumed this meant the judges and staff were getting their regular paychecks. Is that incorrect? One of the notices also says that if you have papers due to the Court, they are still due, unless you are an attorney in a federal government agency, in which case your time will be extended to a date after the shutdown ends. I guess the judges and their clerks (etc.) are an essential service, but the lawyers are not.
NJCub: If you are deemed "unessential" you do not work AND you do not get paid. I work for the Department of Commerce, we aren't essential, so no work=no pay. My Mom works for the Corp of Engineers, their non-essential employees were sent home this morning (resource rangers, environment quality people, tour guides, etc); the guys how actually run the dam are working and so are security personnel, but they are not getting paid. Right now there are no provisions for them to receive back pay. Congress would have to pass legislation that would authorize them to receive pay for work performed during the government shut-down, and congress it's likely to be passing anything. The only people I know of who will continue to receive pay are Congress themselves.
The court system continues to operate because they receive funding in the form of fines and fees, which have no bearing on whether or not the government is operating. The same is true of the Postal Service (money comes in from stamps, etc.). If the agency has outside funding they are able continuing to operate.

Watching the evening news..... Gotta Laugh here. So you have millionaire Tea Party congress men and women telling them to hold their pay checks till the shut down ends...

Shaking my head......That is a whole lot different than the janitor making $20 an hour and no savings account.