LGBT: Critical Mass?

This came up at lunch yesterday. It seems to me and the other men that this issue has rather suddenly reached a point at which the outcomes are inevitable. Whether it seems to any of us that gay marriage, gay leaders in the BSA or homosexuality in general is right or wrong, good for the country or not, it is going to change. A psychologist in the group pointed out the similarity to what happened to women in the late Seventies and the Eighties. People's attitudes about "a woman's place" just changed almost overnight.

What do you guys think? I'm sure many will not agree, but it's an interesting thought.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

>>How did South Africa get so far ahead of the United States?<<   I wouldn't describe it as "far ahead," nor do most people I know who have spent time in SA. However, they got there by

The laws and their application evidently are changing rather quickly. I'm not so sure about people's attitudes. I think part of what we're seeing is a generational effect of young people who see things differently from their elders. But the elders are dying out and the young people are just beginning to flex their 'muscles'.

This is one of the wonderful aspects of being a teacher: I get to have a far greater influence on society than merely my meager contribution to the gene pool.

Humanity has undergone more change in the last 100 years than it's first 10,000 years of existence. That rate of change has also increased during that time. The basic problem arises when that speed of change occurs without opportunity to assimilate the changes and what that may mean for the future. I'm thinking the eventual problem lies in the fact that humanity will collapse due to being overwhelmed by this problem. One cannot wake up every morning not knowing how to function in a world that is far different than yesterday. Critical mass is a good way of describing the process. I have no idea where we are in the process, but there is an increasing tempo of life that was never part of the human experience in the past. How long the species can tolerate that is anybody's guess. Evidence of this is already being experienced in the stress that seems so prevalent in the more "advanced" societies of the world. Ask anyone today whether they like the way things are and are going or would they want, if possible, return to a more simpler life.

Many people are celebrating the Stonewall Riots right now as the beginning of the gay rights movement, but the fact of the matter is that there have been modern concerted attempts going back to the Victorian age.

The book "Toward Stonewall" has large free segments on Google books that cover the Victorian movements, which mostly centered on boy love ("boy" in the Victorian sense means "teenager" in the modern), including Germany's first Scouting movement, the Wandervoegel ("migrating birds"). These Victorian movements focused on the beauty of the young male, and the power of homosexual sex in personal development. The feminist Germaine Greer has also written about this in her book The Beautiful Boy.

Gay Swedish publisher/writer Karl Andersson writes about the whitewashing tactic of the contemporary gay rights movement in his book "Gay Man's Worst Friend." Written from his personal perspective of going from gay publishing hero to zero for daring to break the image we're all being sold, Andersson explains how the contemporary gay rights movement has basically whittled down gay culture for a straight, voting audience to mean nothing more than "just like you, except with another man." Except, he tells us, that's not right at all.

Both are very interesting reads that can be bought cheap.

The critical mass we're at isn't really surprising. It's the product of 40 years of carefully managed whitewashing, image control, lobbying, and opposition demonizing (that last point not without plenty of help from oppositional loudmouths) toward a political ends of gay rights. Young people's concept of homosexuality has been shaped by a political machine, and that aptly. The issue is no longer engaging to me, it is (as your lunch crowd agreed) pretty much over.

What will be interesting now is seeing how long it takes for age of consent laws to be weakened and repealed, because at the same time we (as a society) have been learning not to judge people who pick up boys for sex in locker rooms and write Top 40 hits about it, we've ironically become much more conservative about teen sex (or maybe I should have said "wisely" rather than "ironically"--it depends on how much credit you give the average guy.)

Many people are celebrating the Stonewall Riots right now as the beginning of the gay rights movement, but the fact of the matter is that there have been modern concerted attempts going back to the Victorian age.

The book "Toward Stonewall" has large free segments on Google books that cover the Victorian movements, which mostly centered on boy love ("boy" in the Victorian sense means "teenager" in the modern), including Germany's first Scouting movement, the Wandervoegel ("migrating birds"). These Victorian movements focused on the beauty of the young male, and the power of homosexual sex in personal development. The feminist Germaine Greer has also written about this in her book The Beautiful Boy.

Gay Swedish publisher/writer Karl Andersson writes about the whitewashing tactic of the contemporary gay rights movement in his book "Gay Man's Worst Friend." Written from his personal perspective of going from gay publishing hero to zero for daring to break the image we're all being sold, Andersson explains how the contemporary gay rights movement has basically whittled down gay culture for a straight, voting audience to mean nothing more than "just like you, except with another man." Except, he tells us, that's not right at all.

The critical mass we're at isn't really surprising. It's the product of 40 years of carefully managed whitewashing, image control, lobbying, and opposition demonizing (that last point not without plenty of help from oppositional loudmouths) toward a political ends of gay rights. Young people's concept of homosexuality has been shaped by a political machine, and that aptly. The issue is no longer engaging to me, it is (as your lunch crowd agreed) pretty much over.

What will be interesting now is seeing how long it takes for age of consent laws to be weakened and repealed, because at the same time we (as a society) have been learning not to judge people who pick up boys for sex in locker rooms and write Top 40 hits about it, we've ironically become much more conservative about teen sex (or maybe I should have said "wisely" rather than "ironically"--it depends on how much credit you give the average guy.)

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying that gay men are all pedophiles and it's all a white wash that we don't know this?

Not at all: Sex between an adult and a teenager is not pedophilia. Like "retard" before it, "pedophile" has been hijacked by society and given a meaning that is false; pedophilia is a medical term with a specific definition: sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children. But, just as retard simply means stupid to the avg person, pedophile has come to mean anyone who dates someone under 18, or even just someone who dates someone X years younger than themselves. The actual definition of pedophilia cuts off at age 13, because by 13 virtually every person will have entered puberty and will therefore no longer be attractive to an actual pedophile. However, in recent years, boys (and girls) have been entering puberty as early as 10 in increasing numbers.

In short, sex after puberty is just sex.

Ironically, in your immediate resort to this line of reasoning ("this troglodyte thinks gay=pedophile") you've demonstrated exactly what Andersson describes in his book: You've accepted as truth the marketing tactic of the gay rights movement, severing gay men who have sex with young men ("boys" in the Victorian sense, see above) from the homogenized gay identity created for the voting consumer. However, (as discussed in the other book I recommended "Toward Stonewall") for centuries, sex between older men and young men defined homosexuality, from Plato (in his "Symposium" on the nature of love) to Oscar Wilde (in his "Picture of Dorian Grey").

OK, so you are implying that all gay men are secretly hebephilialiacs or ephebophiliaiacs? I don't care what "defined homosexuality" a century ago. Heck, it wasn't that long ago in a historical sense when girls as young as 14 were married off and mothers (Juliet in Romeo and Juliet was 13, and her mother complained that she was already a mother at Juliet's age - OK, it's a play - but it speaks to societal attitudes). So does that mean that heterosexual society was all about abusing teenage girls?

I'm still not sure what your point is?

"Abuse" is an ahistorical attribute that you're applying based on a contemporary understanding of relationships which puts culturally-constructed, arbitrary striations on who can have a relationship with who based on nothing but age. Consensual relationships aren't intrinsically abusive simply due to age. Would you call a 20-yr-old who is dating a 17-yr-old a pedophile? 23 and 17? 17 and 18? 17 and 14?

Ephebophilia comes directly from the Greek word "Ephebos" which was the young man in a homosexual relationship with an older man--And now we're back to Plato, and you're again demonstrating exactly what Andersson discusses: For centuries, relationships between sexually mature people of virtually any age were normal. Now, we arrive at the point in our history when the gay rights movement has put decades into separating certain homosexual relationships from gay identity, and suddenly we begin to entertain the idea that millenia of normal homosexual relationships are actually disordered, and to re-classify them as some hazy half-disorder called ephebophilia. What a cosmic irony, especially, when we juxtapose it against the removal of homosexual attraction from classification as a disorder! Some gayness is just normal on the sliding scale of human sexuality, but some gayness is still a disorder because gay people say so? The pitfalls of the soft science of psychology.

Now, what is more likely: That out of all recorded history, in just 40 years gay men--some within their own lifetimes--have all suddenly stopped being attracted to the robust form and sexual appetite of young men which preoccupied them for millenia, or that in just 40 years a highly-organized, well-funded political movement succeeded in altering (narrowing) our concept of what a gay man is?

I'm still not sure what your point is?

Kahuna believes we've reached critical mass on gay rights. My answer is "of course"

He goes on to ask what we think; my thoughts strayed toward "because..." From my original reply: "The critical mass we're at isn't really surprising. It's the product of 40 years of carefully managed whitewashing, image control, lobbying, and opposition demonizing (that last point not without plenty of help from oppositional loudmouths) toward a political ends of gay rights. Young people's concept of homosexuality has been shaped by a political machine, and that aptly."

If you're actually curious as to these issues, again, I've listed several works from historians, gay publishers, feminists, and gay men that you can read at very little or no cost: "Toward Stonewall" by Nicholas Edsall, "Gay Man's Worst Friend" by Karl Andersson, "The Beautiful Boy" by Germaine Greer, "Symposium" by Plato, "The Picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde. You can also add "Death in Venice" by Thomas Mann.

Scouter99, I don't know if I agree with your arguements, ( I haven't had to time to read those works), but I want to take a moment to give credit where it is due. Your rhetoric is well researched, it is very well written, and it's refreshing to see that on the internet.

Sentinel947

Sentinel947, perhaps you can clarify what Scouter99 means by the part of his statement, "....because at the same time we (as a society) have been learning not to judge people who pick up boys for sex in locker rooms and write Top 40 hits about it, we've ironically become much more conservative about teen sex "

First, do you think that Scouter99 really speaks for all of society? And then do you think all of society really has been learning not to judge pedophiles? I confess my doubts regarding both of these things. And that part about all of society becoming "much more conservative about teen sex"....I am astonished. Perhaps I don't understand what 'conservative' means in that context but I would have concluded exactly the opposite IF I were bold enough to think I could speak for all of society. What do you think?

I agree with packsaddle. I know that teenagers having babies out of wedlock in the last 50 years has changed from shuffling them off to a place far from home and putting the baby up for adoption so the girl can return and pretend nothing happened over the past six months of their absence, to making accommodations so the girls can stay in high school up until her due date. I have also heard that some schools who have a large population of unwed mothers have even setup a daycare for the children on the school grounds. Condoms and morning After pills can be obtained in the school also.. Now I know some republican governments are going back to only teaching abstinence in the high school health ed classes.. Which mean there high schools will need those daycares, especially as they make abortions harder to get.. So if he wanted to argue republican politics have gotten more conservative on the topic of sex, I would buy that.

Also I would say the reaction this past year by society on the whole Sandusky and Penn State scandal, I would also say society was not accepting pedophiles as fine.. Now colleges corruptive practices of anything goes if it revolves around those in the football program, had a light shown on it in a negative way.. But, they were getting pretty complacent about this as well as heterosexual males who raped women.. So they were pretty even handed over issues of sex on all fronts, as well as theft, vandalism etc..

Packsaddle, I certainly don't have an answer. As I said, I haven't read his resources, I don't necessarily agree with his posts. All I said was that he outlines an argument, then explains it, citing his sources and resources that he's used to make his case. And that, is what I find refreshing, since most internet discussions Mostly come down to is "this is what I think, I'm right and you are wrong", with no explaining or defense of those opinions.

My respect for his argumentation doesn't mean that I agree with him. Never once in my post did I say I agreed with him. Based on my experiences and bia's (Which means I have no firm statistics or good sources of counterargument to debate Scouters argument), I'd be inclined to agree with you Packsaddle.

and please don't misrepresent what I said.

Sentinel947

The use of the term 'whitewash' is Scouter99's interpretation and opinion. While I understand that his view of things is different I'm less certain that he's actually provided evidence to support it. Perhaps he can help both of us out with some clarification in that case.

BTW, I made no claims whatsoever about what you wrote or what you think. All I did was ask some questions about it. If you don't know the answers that's OK. He's also free to provide those if he wants to.

I agree with packsaddle. I know that teenagers having babies out of wedlock in the last 50 years has changed from shuffling them off to a place far from home and putting the baby up for adoption so the girl can return and pretend nothing happened over the past six months of their absence, to making accommodations so the girls can stay in high school up until her due date. I have also heard that some schools who have a large population of unwed mothers have even setup a daycare for the children on the school grounds. Condoms and morning After pills can be obtained in the school also.. Now I know some republican governments are going back to only teaching abstinence in the high school health ed classes.. Which mean there high schools will need those daycares, especially as they make abortions harder to get.. So if he wanted to argue republican politics have gotten more conservative on the topic of sex, I would buy that.

Also I would say the reaction this past year by society on the whole Sandusky and Penn State scandal, I would also say society was not accepting pedophiles as fine.. Now colleges corruptive practices of anything goes if it revolves around those in the football program, had a light shown on it in a negative way.. But, they were getting pretty complacent about this as well as heterosexual males who raped women.. So they were pretty even handed over issues of sex on all fronts, as well as theft, vandalism etc..

Exactly. Contemporary events seem to contradict his claims.