The Future of the BSA?

Since paste doesn't work for me anymore and the editor kicks me out everytime I hit Return, I'm going to ask you to search for the article in the Wall Street Journal titled "Dessention and fiscal woes beset the Girl Scouts". It's pretty interesting. Barry

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a lot more complicated than just a changing program, the BSA had more scouts after their big changes in the 60s and 70s than before. All the Scouting organizations in North America are suffering

From my perspective, the GSUSA's big problem is the way they're "organized." There's no continuity in units. Mrs. Jones starts a unit, but it's not like a BSA unit where all comers are welcome, rather, it's just for Katie Jones and Katie's friends. When they get sick of scouts, or stop being friends, the troop is just gone. There are currently 3 GSUSA troops meeting at my troop's CO; why? Balkanism. Of course they have waiting lists and don't have enough volunteers, it's a selfish system. In the past 15 years, there's been a parade of GSUSA units at our CO, perhaps 6; some were founded and folded before we even knew they existed.

Of the 3 troops where we meet, none of them owns anything except finger paint and beads. Of course they don't go camping, their troops are a couple years old, have no gear, and won't exist long enough to justify spending the money on tents, stoves, cook kits, etc.

BSA units, on the other hand, are true community units. They may even be a narrow Catholic or Mormon unit, but every boy at that institution can join. They may meet at a school, but any boy can join. If a troop is by chance too big to take one more, there's another troop. BSA units are durable; they don't form to serve 5 boys then disband every 3 years.

So, BSA and GSUSA face some of the same problems (declining membership, relevance, etc) but the root causes are different, so in my view, no, we can't extrapolate this article to "the future of the BSA."

The more they change the "program" the more one becomes unsure of what's going on. The GSUSA did major changes, cutting councils, program alterations/focus, and selling off assets (camps). Looks like a sinking ship, and altering that perception is a difficult proposition. BSA has done similar changes, and continues to do the same dynamics in it's program, it's only a matter of time before they too are viewed as a sinking ship. If one is going to ignore the handwriting on the wall, then they are destined to live out that process. The only thing that will correct the situation is either go back to where the downward spiral started, and recalculate the options. Otherwise, the spiral/slope that one is on is going to experience the inevitable.

Entrenched entities will find it far more difficult to "return to normal" than another entity picking it up without the baggage that plagues the older program.

The reason BSA lasted 100 years is because for the most part they were doing it right. Doing something else and experiencing a downward slide should give enough evidence to raise a few eyebrows along the way. Ignoring this isn't going to solve the problem.

It's a lot more complicated than just a changing program, the BSA had more scouts after their big changes in the 60s and 70s than before. All the Scouting organizations in North America are suffering from the same problems of money, membership and camps. The Girls Scouts have struggled the longest but Campfire Kids wasn't that far behind them. The Canadian Scouts (largest Scouting orgnization in the world in 1990) is 30 percent of what they were of the early 90s. The one common event with all these organizations that marks the start their dramatic program decline is changing to a more progressive membership policy. Canadian scouts was most dramtic, but they all have the same trend. Take that as you want, the data doesn't lie. It's been said for several years that the BSA would follow the same decline as other organizations if it followed the same path. I attribute the BSAs slow membership decline the last 15 years to a top heavy Pack program that has become so complicated for average parent to manage that it burns out its members in three years. I could show graphs at the time that predicted todays deline based from big changes in the pack program. I don't think we have seen the real decline of the BSA yet, but we are about to. After watching all these other organizations decline the last 25 years, I personally conclude that Scouting is a values program which makes it a concervative organization. Once it gets away from concervative values, it's just another after school club. If you want to camp, join scouts. Otherwise go play chess. It will be left up to the churches to support the kind of scouting we have today. But without support from National, it will just be local.

• Upvote 1

In 1972 total membership was 6,524,640 when the New Scouting Program, which took the Outing out of Scouting, was introduced, then

1974: 5,803,885

1975: 5,318,070

1976: 4,884,082

1977: 4,718,138

1978: 4,493,491

1979: 4,284,469, SOS sent to Green Bar Bill (William Hillcourt) who returned from retirement to write the 1979 edition of Scout Handbook. Membership decline stopped and reverses.

1980: 4,326,082

1981: 4,355,723

1982: 4,542,449

1983: 4,688,953

1986: 5,170,979

Youth Soccer's dynamic growth filled a void during this period.

2005: Government (public schools, bases) sponsorship ends due to our discrimination. Access to government facilities will also face challenges.

I agree the "Pack program" is a burnout. GSS is overdone. Where did the adventure and "scout-run" go?

Despite an increase in the US youth population, we never regained the membership numbers of the late 60's. I have said we need to get back in the public schools as that is where the kids are, but maybe we are too late. High schools in my area are successfully running their own outdoor clubs with far less hassle. It's funny, the better schools around here require school uniforms, have a student honor code, recognition, leadership training (FIRST,Hugh O'Brien, Lions/Kiwanas Club, State Youth,...), teachers/coaches/mentors, community service requirement for graduation, outdoor program. Are we being out-scouted?

I also worry about the affordability and financial sustainability of our four high adventure centers, as well as settlements for abuse lawsuits.

links:

http://historyofscouting.com/history/history-1970.htm

http://historyofscouting.com/history/history-1980.htm

My $0.01 for rambling,

OK My first post.... this is not all doom and gloom.

2000 to 2009, the latest year for which figures are available, the number of kids aged 7 to 17 playing baseball fell 24%, according to the National Sporting Goods Association, an industry trade group. Despite growing concerns about the long-term effects of concussions, participation in youth tackle football has soared 21% over the same time span, while ice hockey jumped 38%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703712504576232753156582750.html

I think shows like are you tougher than a boy scout will assist. but at the end of the day I would rather have 10000 boys who truly want adventure and the challenge of nature rather then 1000000 boys who want to just pass the time.

2005: Government (public schools, bases) sponsorship ends due to our discrimination. Access to government facilities will also face challenges.

. . .

I have said we need to get back in the public schools as that is where the kids are, but maybe we are too late.

Contingent on what you mean, I have to take issue with this aspect of your reply; it doesn't accurately reflect the split.

--If you mean the loss of gov't institutions as COs, we did not "lose sponsorship due to discrimination"; Chicago Public Schools, Housing and Urban Dev., and the military were forced to drop units by an ACLU lawsuit. When all three settled, then BSA stopped issuing charters to any gov't institution. The lawsuit was not solely over discrimination, it was also over separation of church and state. The argument was that when a teacher, HUD employee, or MP has boys swear to do their "duty to God" then the gov't has breached the First Amendment. http://www.aclu.org/religion-belief/pentagon-agrees-end-direct-sponsorship-boy-scout-troops-response-religious-discrimin

--If you mean the loss of access to schools (for things like recruitment), then you get more traction. In 1999, when ACLU sued, BSA had been involved in lawsuits over homosexuals for almost 20 years, and yet schools hadn't dropped us, so its clear that while they might not (we can only guess) have been comfortable, they weren't hostile (they renewed their charters annually 20 times post-controversy in Chicago and everywhere else). Loss of access is not absolute, as schools nationwide continue to allow BSA units to meet in their buildings. The county I live in has a few packs meeting in its schools and leaves it up to the principal about recruiting, while the county next door won't even allow Eagle projects on its grounds.

In either case, loss of schools is nuanced, largely dependent upon local sentiment, and was not an on/off switch set to 2005.

In 1972 total membership was 6,524,640 when the New Scouting Program, which took the Outing out of Scouting, was introduced, then

1974: 5,803,885

1975: 5,318,070

1976: 4,884,082

1977: 4,718,138

1978: 4,493,491

1979: 4,284,469, SOS sent to Green Bar Bill (William Hillcourt) who returned from retirement to write the 1979 edition of Scout Handbook. Membership decline stopped and reverses.

1980: 4,326,082

1981: 4,355,723

1982: 4,542,449

1983: 4,688,953

1986: 5,170,979

Youth Soccer's dynamic growth filled a void during this period.

I agree the "Pack program" is a burnout. GSS is overdone. Where did the adventure and "scout-run" go?

Despite an increase in the US youth population, we never regained the membership numbers of the late 60's. I have said we need to get back in the public schools as that is where the kids are, but maybe we are too late. High schools in my area are successfully running their own outdoor clubs with far less hassle. It's funny, the better schools around here require school uniforms, have a student honor code, recognition, leadership training (FIRST,Hugh O'Brien, Lions/Kiwanas Club, State Youth,...), teachers/coaches/mentors, community service requirement for graduation, outdoor program. Are we being out-scouted?

I also worry about the affordability and financial sustainability of our four high adventure centers, as well as settlements for abuse lawsuits.

links:

http://historyofscouting.com/history/history-1970.htm

http://historyofscouting.com/history/history-1980.htm

My $0.01 for rambling,

As a youth, I was part of that early 1980's increase.

What do the numbers look like since 1986?

In either case, loss of schools is nuanced, largely dependent upon local sentiment, and was not an on/off switch set to 2005.

2005 is when Adam Schwartz of the Illinois ACLU sent a letter to the BSA telling them to stop chartering discriminatory BSA units to public schools, and that is when the BSA started to tell councils to stop issuing charters to government entities. This was separate from Winkler v. Chicago School Reform Board of Trustees and Winkler v. Rumsfeld. The first case was settled almost immediately in the late 1990s when the city of Chicago stopped chartering about 35 BSA units, but it wasn't a general lawsuit over public school charters, and the Rumsfeld one was about the military support of the jamboree. Loss of public school charters wasn't nuanced, they got dropped whether schools wanted them or not.

The Illinois ACLU no longer has the press release about it, but archive.org has a copy:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050404190145/http://aclu-il.org/news/press/000259.shtml

Loss of public school charters wasn't nuanced' date=' they got dropped whether schools wanted them or not.[/quote']

Once again: Schiff's post says "sponsorship," not "charters" and his wording asserts that schools made a conscious decision to dissociate from BSA based on animus over membership policies. That's not the case. The reality is that schools and BSA were split by external parties due to lawsuits, not due to the wishes of either BSA or schools or because schools were disillusioned with BSA. Schiff's premise, then, asserts that if BSA stopped discriminating, then schools would come back. That is also not the case. BSA would have to change the oath as well as allow atheists. (And let this moment of irony not pass: Having forced BSA out of the public sphere and into religious institutions, we can be assured that any such change has been delayed by decades, if it comes at all.)

Regardless of why we can no longer issue charters to schools, schools all over the country continue to "sponsor" BSA units by allowing packs and troops to meet in their buildings and recruit on school grounds. It is not black/white, it's very nuanced.

That's not sponsorship, that's an equal access issue. Every similar group that wants to meet in a public school gets the same access; that has nothing to do with the BSA (and if a school refuses, they can and will get sued). Plus, there was no actual lawsuit that ended all public school charters, the BSA stopped issuing charters to public schools because of the threat of lawsuits.

The clause "if BSA stopped discriminating" implies that both the promise is changed (or alternate promises are available) and that atheists are allowed, because both would need to change in order for the BSA to stop discriminating.

That's not sponsorship, that's an equal access issue. Every similar group that wants to meet in a public school gets the same access; that has nothing to do with the BSA (and if a school refuses, they can and will get sued). Plus, there was no actual lawsuit that ended all public school charters, the BSA stopped issuing charters to public schools because of the threat of lawsuits.

The clause "if BSA stopped discriminating" implies that both the promise is changed (or alternate promises are available) and that atheists are allowed, because both would need to change in order for the BSA to stop discriminating.

Now you're arguing with yourself. The letter you linked makes a clear distinction (the same distinction I've been making) between admission of atheist boys (which is discrimination) and the requirement of all members to say the oath (which is a 1st amendment issue).

You're not addressing the issue I took with Schiff which was contingent on what he meant by "lost sponsorship."

The letter doesn't make that distinction; either action would be a first amendment violation.

Merlyn explained the background issues better than I could. Thanks.

My argument is that we need public schools, etc to charter (sponsor) packs, troops, crews, so we can access those kids and families. I want to be able to setup after-school meetings (at school) for den meetings, patrols, and crews just like the Boys and Girls Club (the LARGEST youth organization has done) or the school outing clubs have done. I dearly want access to the school gyms just like I had as a scout. And yes, that means the BSA has more work ahead in opening membership.

Our local school will allow any group to rent their meeting and assembly rooms, but that is not sponsorship.

Another $0.01