Megachurch Southeast Christian to drop BSA

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

KDD. Another way to read this is..."As per our charter agreement with the BSA, we operate our scouting program to meet our youth development goals. The BSA has chosen a more secular path than we are

While the vote was the “catalyst,†it wasn’t the only issue, he said. Rather, it was the Boy Scouts’ direction and the desire to keep the church from getting caught up in it, he said. “We want everyone, including ourselves, to live by biblical standards,†Hester said. The way I read that is. "The BSA was not Christian enough for us and would not let us take them over, they are heritics"

I try to always be respectful of all religious organizations, but in this case, BSA is better off not being associated with Southeast Christian. Scouts there should be encouraged to either find a new charter org for the entire unit, or find new units.

KDD. Another way to read this is..."As per our charter agreement with the BSA, we operate our scouting program to meet our youth development goals. The BSA has chosen a more secular path than we are comfortable using for our youth development program. As such, we are ending our relationship."

• Upvote 1
If that is correct, Basementdweller, then they are liars and certainly not adhering to Christian values.
from the link

"

Tim Hester, executive pastor of Southeast Christian, said the youth organization’s consideration of that issue started the discussion that eventually led to the church’s board of elders deciding against renewing the church’s charter with Troop 212, but it wasn’t the deciding issue.

The charter was going to be broken regardless of the Boy Scout vote, he said."

this is a non story...

The church decided to not renew it's charter before the vote.....Now they are going to try to link it to the vote.

They being the media.....Not the church......

My commanding skill of the written language...come on now ya know what I was thinking

In a near by council there are three Baptist units who will not have their charter renewed. One other unit I know was holding off on their recharter at their COR's request until the vote was taken. After the vote the COR called the unit to say their charter would not be renewed for 2013. That's 4 units now looking for homes which they had prior to the vote.

In a near by council there are three Baptist units who will not have their charter renewed. One other unit I know was holding off on their recharter at their COR's request until the vote was taken. After the vote the COR called the unit to say their charter would not be renewed for 2013. That's 4 units now looking for homes which they had prior to the vote.
That sounds like something Jesus would do.
KDD...let's not go there. Each side proclaims to know how Jesus would have thought on this issue and neither has a clue. We have a moral stand off and the Baptists are within their right to follow theirs. I suspect those on the other side of this debate would have done something similar like left Scouting had the proposal not passed. Let's not throw stones.

Well, it appears that at least some Catholics are not necessarily in favor of throwing the baby out with the water. This article says it pretty well, from my perspective. http://ncronline.org/blogs/distinctly-catholic/open-doors

In another of the related threads, there is a supposed statement from a Methodist church. I do not claim to know the details related to legal issues, but my understanding is that the National Council insurance would continue to be in affect if something occurred. Some people are simply looking for excuses; and this one seems to fit that category from my perspective.

Fair enough.

I and others have stated this board that whatever the decision, scouting is larger than this one issue and would remain with the program. I have not seen many that said they would abandon the program if the vote did not go their way.

Below is Senior Pastor Dave Stone's video reply to the church family in response to media coverage regarding the church's decision to drop the scouting units at the end of the year. Click on Week 3 to play the message. The message was played this past weekend for all services at all satellite campuses before the regularly scheduled sermon.

http://www.southeastchristian.org/Default.aspx?page=4754

(I am not sure how long this link will stay active. Likely only one more week or so.)