any sexual conduct by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting

Part of today's announcement included the following: "...any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting." I'm in Cub Scouting, and I'm reasonably confident that none of my scouts are sexually active, but I'm not at all sure that is true of Boy Scout troops, and I think its highly unlikely to be true in Venturing teams, since some of the scouts are 20 years old. What are your opinions on this? Do you have scouts in your troop or team who are sexually active? Do you care? Are they failing to live up to the virtues of scouting? Are they denied advancement?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the movement could perform best if we treat the Scout Law as aspirational - that we strive to live a person that is trustworthy......etc. This thread alarms me because I see that the Scout la

I know of two youth in my crew who darn well better be sexually active. They've been married for a year! Otherwise, I make it clear that virginity is to be held in high esteem. But, I do believe tha

Here's how to handle a Scout who is guilty any or many of the listed transgressions. Is he legitimately remorseful? Has he changed his life as a result of the transgression which put him contrary to t

I have found you pretty much hear crickets when you try and address the issue of heterosexual male sexual behavior. I suspect it may be that many us were in violation of the virtues of Scouting at one point. (or at least would have if had the opportunity) Is there one of us that would deny advancement or eject a Scout if he fathered a child ? Maybe a few but not many.

I know of two youth in my crew who darn well better be sexually active. They've been married for a year! Otherwise, I make it clear that virginity is to be held in high esteem. But, I do believe that there's room for grace. More importantly, I ask youth to understand what their religion says about the matter, and live accordingly.

• Upvote 2

Reading that and only dealing with cubs, I was wondering the same. I had no idea there were some still in scouting past 18 (I need to do some more looking into Venturing.) I like qwazse's response, I couldn't see myself viewing it any other way if I was in that position currently.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the policy statement... BUT.... I took it to mean that sexual conduct of ANY TYPE is not condoned in or around or on ANY scouting activity. A married couple in a tent on a campout (whether adult leaders or married ventures... wow married yung, but whatever) should be able to keep their private life private around scouts - PERIOD. I don't even show much affection other than a hug and a quick peck on the cheek for the Mrs. when I'm in uniform. Its not the place for it.

So far in pre-marital sex (hetro or homo) among teenaged boys... I'm sure it happens given the chance. As long as its not happening at a scout meeting or campout - then really not my business. I guess I've never had to confront a lad who's knocked up his girlfriend right before his Eagle BoR... guess we'll cross that bridge if / when it occurs and IF the committee has knowledge of the issue. Not sure how I'd handle that issue, but I know one thing.... the lad not getting his Eagle award is the LEAST of his worries at that point in life !

I do (hopefully) project to the youth that dating and relationships are serious things and that mutual RESPECT and RESPONSIBILITY is very important with regards to dealing with the opposite sex (guess that will include the same sex now as of Jan '14). I also talk with them to consider the ramifications of an unintended pregnancy on their and their partner's future has... college, very hard with a baby.... forget dances and prom and football.... you'll be changing diapers, etc...

dean

• Upvote 1
Maybe I'm reading too much into the policy statement... BUT.... I took it to mean that sexual conduct of ANY TYPE is not condoned in or around or on ANY scouting activity. A married couple in a tent on a campout (whether adult leaders or married ventures... wow married yung, but whatever) should be able to keep their private life private around scouts - PERIOD. I don't even show much affection other than a hug and a quick peck on the cheek for the Mrs. when I'm in uniform. Its not the place for it.

So far in pre-marital sex (hetro or homo) among teenaged boys... I'm sure it happens given the chance. As long as its not happening at a scout meeting or campout - then really not my business. I guess I've never had to confront a lad who's knocked up his girlfriend right before his Eagle BoR... guess we'll cross that bridge if / when it occurs and IF the committee has knowledge of the issue. Not sure how I'd handle that issue, but I know one thing.... the lad not getting his Eagle award is the LEAST of his worries at that point in life !

I do (hopefully) project to the youth that dating and relationships are serious things and that mutual RESPECT and RESPONSIBILITY is very important with regards to dealing with the opposite sex (guess that will include the same sex now as of Jan '14). I also talk with them to consider the ramifications of an unintended pregnancy on their and their partner's future has... college, very hard with a baby.... forget dances and prom and football.... you'll be changing diapers, etc...

dean

Getting his Eagle at that point in his life could very well tip the scales between a positive outcome for his family and a negative one.

I was faced with that, as the District Rep at a unit EBOR. Everyone was clueless until one of the letters of recommendation stated how nice it was that he was taking responsibility for his new son. he had just turned 18 and was "living in sin" with the baby momma in her parents' home. The troop committee was livid that they were blindsided, since apparently the SM knew all about it and didn't think it was worth mentioning. The vote was to deny the Eagle. He appealed to Council and they awarded the Eagle. This was about 10 years ago.

Reading that and only dealing with cubs, I was wondering the same. I had no idea there were some still in scouting past 18 (I need to do some more looking into Venturing.) I like qwazse's response, I couldn't see myself viewing it any other way if I was in that position currently.
Venturers can start at age 14 (or whenever they complete 8th grade) and age out at 21. It's a shame that the program is still foreign to cub leaders and parents. I didn't know about it until son #1 (then a wolf scout) and I talked to a camp staff about her program. (I had mistakenly used the term Explorer.) The program was quite new then, but we seem to be in the same situation today.

While all Scouts (Cub Scouts also) are supposed to live by the Scout Oath, and Law, BSA can not control what it's youth does outside of Scouting activities.

I believe this comment was primarily meant for Scouting activities (not what a married couple does at home), and includes all forms of "sexual conduct", including the kind of "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" kind of stuff that even older Cub Scouts can get into.

It is all about appropriate behavior.

To me, this comment is rather obnoxious; for comparison, supposed the BSA excluded black kids, and just changed it to admit them, but added a memo reminding everyone that stealing is contrary to the virtues of scouting. Hey, no thanks for the implication....

Faith, when you look into venturing. Pay close attention to some important rules. Boy Scouts who earn First Class can continue earning MB and advancement up to Eagle. Girls do not earn MBs or BS advancement.

That seems like a silly statement probably inserted to appease some highly conservative religious group. Of course sexual activity at scouting events is verboten. But if we overhear talk about some 16-17 yo scout making out with his girlfriend, our we expected to toss him? I think the BSA should stop being trying to be the sex police.

Thanks, explorer and venturer are foreign to me so I will definitely be looking into it for future reference (even if I'm eons away from my boys being in it, it never hurts to look.) Since we joined the scouting community I've been trying my best to learn the ins and outs of all the areas. Haven't made it much out of cubs yet, as there's plenty there alone! I've never heard anyone mention either at any meetings (the only term I remember hearing was sea scouts, something else I'm new to.) I've bought a ton of books on the subject of scouting + have about 50 sites bookmarked, slowly but surely :)
That seems like a silly statement probably inserted to appease some highly conservative religious group. Of course sexual activity at scouting events is verboten. But if we overhear talk about some 16-17 yo scout making out with his girlfriend, our we expected to toss him? I think the BSA should stop being trying to be the sex police.
Yeah, what exactly does sexual activity mean ? Kissing? That's nuts. Groping? Good luck stopping that.

Kids exaggerate and brag. Anything short of photos is just not evidence. Taking photos of naked teenagers is illegal and someone needs to go to jail.