CNN/NYT reports BSA votes to allow gay scouts

I really didn't think the vote would go over 60% for the winning side, regardless of which side won. And I use the word "won" loosely because it's hard to say that this is a true win for anyone even though I am satisfied with the vote.

I also didn't think the resolution would pass, so I guess I was wrong twice on this one. :)

Just read that OnMyHonor.Net will be meeting with like-minded parents and former BSA members and leaders who won't participate in the BSA any longer in light of this vote with the goal of chartering a new organization. Obviously I'm not a fan of their message or views, but I have to give them credit for taking the initiative to start something new if what's out there now no longer fits their beliefs.

Wow! No need to see how the councils voted... it was done as a secret ballot and counted by an outside accounting firm, thats good enough for me whichever way the vote turned out. Its been put to a vote and we should move on with providing a great program. As for the OnMyHonor.net folks, I say good luck and best wishes with your "new" scouting program. Don't let the door hit you in the rear end. If your attitude is "Its my way, or I'll quit..." You never really encompassed the true scouting spirit in the first place. I'd say the same thing to any pro-gay scouters who would quit the program over the vote going the opposite way. You look hard enough at ANY large organization and you can likely find something that you disagree with, in many cases very strongly or maybe at your "core beliefs". But, if the overall GOOD in an organization is outweighed by the one or two things you disagree with, WHY would you deny your son the opportunity to participate? What does THAT type of attitude teach our youth? It teaches that if you don't get your way, you quit ?!?! Not a value I want my child to learn regardless of the issue at hand.

Today is a watershed moment for BSA... by the time our sons are on this board as adult leaders, they will laugh about it (much like we think the idea of not allowing a black scout into a white unit is absurd). BSA national got it right today and they got it with a majority of its constituents backing the decision. It will only be a matter of time (years maybe) until the sexual orientation of a scout (youth or adult) is a non-issue altogether and we can look forward to a stronger program because of it.

dean

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DeanRx, I guess I am persuaded by Terry's thoughts in the top thread: that the 'watershed' occurred when BSA left the path with the 'Dale' case. The fact that BSA won that one meant that it was going to take time and a grassroots effort to affect change...which evidently has happened. Anyway, I agree with Terry's reasoning that this is progress and IF the local option can be applied at a later time with respect to leader choices, that will be even better and put BSA very close to the path they should have been on the entire time.

Now, in some sense this means I need to soften my rhetoric with respect to the leaders in Irving. But....they're still administrators. Sorry, I'm still going to have to cast a very critical eye at them, although I'm pleased with the outcome of this process. I note that by relying on a vote, those administrators avoided making a courageous decision for themselves.

So...kudos for the grass-roots. There's still more to be done but this one feels good. The boys I knew who hid themselves in the shadows in order to avoid being ejected can take heart that although this is a little late for most of them, it's going to allow others to feel freedom to be who they really are, with no fear that their club will discard them because of it.

The unit I serve will continue to be what they have always been, just open about one aspect of it now.

• Downvote 1

I never knew of the 'onmyhonor.net folks' until today. As I said before, no one in my pack ever shared their feelings on this with me and I kept mine to myself as well. However today, I saw a bunch of them posting stuff from that site on FB (which is odd to me that they decide to do that today before any other time.) I have no problem with this (as a scout parent and a Christian) but I have no idea how this will impact our pack, if at all. I am happy that more boys will have a chance to be a part of this now.

I never knew of the 'onmyhonor.net folks' until today. As I said before, no one in my pack ever shared their feelings on this with me and I kept mine to myself as well. However today, I saw a bunch of them posting stuff from that site on FB (which is odd to me that they decide to do that today before any other time.) I have no problem with this (as a scout parent and a Christian) but I have no idea how this will impact our pack, if at all. I am happy that more boys will have a chance to be a part of this now.
I just got back from a troop meeting. Not a lot of talk about this but most agreed that this was the right thing to do. I think the impact will be minimal to positive for our unit.
That's great to hear :) I really felt (and again I shouldn't assume) that I was on the same page with a lot of the parents in mine. The posts I saw today were definitely a surprise. I had to go snoop just now to see if they posted anything on it since then but none have.

Packsaddle, I guess I would say I too wish the pro's in Irving would have had the guts to make the call themselves. However, at the same time - putting it to a vote does a couple things (in addition to deflecting some of the heat from themselves): 1) It gets buy-in from the councils... it was THEIR votes that changed the policy... no one can argue the point much when its majority rules. 2) For once, Irving can be viewed as actually LISTENING to the units they are supposed to be serving!! One of the largest complaints I ever hear (and that I level on my own against pro's of every stripe) is that there is far too much top-down decision making in BSA. Be it G2SS and red wagons or membership policy... at least they took the local councils feedback and opinion in to account BEFORE making the decision. 3) I'll give big props to Mr. Terry - his Op-ed piece is a brave new step for a leader at national... and a good example of corporate leadership. I don't see Mazzucca ever doing anything like that in a million years.... that is a good thing.

The fact that the policy statement also addressed concerns about same sex attraction bodes well and shows forethought as well. And, its correct - sexual conduct of ANY type hetro or homo does NOT belong in scouting or scout outings... the YPG is more than sufficient to cover the do's and don't regardless of gender or proclivity.

• Upvote 1