Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't mean to imply that we should not be friendly, courteous, or kind to everyone.... but we should be reverent as well.

Comment

BadenP, I think you misread Sequoia's post, although it is not perfectly clear, which is why I asked for clarification. It says "we" (the unit leaders, I am assuming) "were sent" (meaning, we the unit leaders received) a letter "via council", meaning it wasn't sent by the unit leaders, or the council, which presumably only leaves the CO. So this appears to be a CO acting perfectly within its rights (though not necessarily based on correct information) to terminate its own units.

Hopefully the council, in forwarding the letter, offered assistance in finding a new CO.

Comment

Sequoia

Premature rash actions usually lead to poor decisions and ends with disasterous results! IMO that is exactly what your CO did. I find it hard to believe your leaders had no input to this decision. Now as a result you are no longer a scouter, nor are your youth scouts, what a sterling performance, what have you really accomplished, and who are the ones who are truly hurt? The BSA decision hasn't even been made yet and you all have torpedoed scouting for your youth, so I ask you who is the one really being unscoutlike. I hope other CO's will take a much more rational approach before deciding the future of scouting in their organizations.

Comment

Or it could be that the CO was just 'waiting for some reason' to do this anyway, for that matter. But regardless, it's done. They will hopefully find a supportive CO. From the sound of things, the unit itself and the leaders are going to make a 'go' of it one way or another.

As far as 'teaching' goes, I need to defend blw2 on that because I was the one who brought up the idea of 'teaching'. It was the way I naturally interpret what happens as a result of experiences and the idea of a 'moral experience' was not clear to me. It still isn't, at least not as it relates to the topic of membership policy. But I certainly did NOT have in my mind that anyone was going to be 'taught' about sexuality. Rather it was about morality.
          So my confusion of the idea of a 'moral experience' is where all that came from. And that's ok because I'm often confused about a lot of things. Sigh, I'm used to it.

Comment

An interesting (older) article from the LDS perspective from sci-fi author Orson Scott Card (whose book "Ender's Game" is recommended for scouts and scouters alike - the movie version is coming out in November), and why the loss of scouting if the LDS pulls its charters for moral issues would be a bad thing for a lot of LDS youth:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2000/05/What-Will-The-Church-Do-After-Scouting.aspx

Comment

AZMike, the chances of the BSA doing something that would cause the LDS church to pull their charters is ZERO

Your talking about the elimination of Scouting in Nevada, UT, AZ and NM and the closing of Philmont. Ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Since, as I understand it, Philmont belongs to ALL BSA members (as stipulated in the donation to deter selling), what does the LDS group have to do with it? Just curious where that is coming from.

Comment

Working...
                X