X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict of Interest?

Say a Boy Scout Troop is chartered by a community organization run by an elected board.
    • The Board member is not institutional head. The president of the organization is the institutional head.
    • The Chartered Organization Representative is not on the board.
    • It seems there could be an end around the COR if the board member put her/his mind to it.
    Would it be appropriate for a voting board member to hold a scouter position in the troop?
    Has anyone been in a troop like this?

This is purely hypothetical in my case, but in the realm of possibilities. I'd like to hear what others think of this scenario.

(I didn't mean to post this to announcements, can someone please move to an appropriate forum?)
    Last edited by koolaidman; 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM. Reason: I goofed-can a moderator please move to appropriate forum?

When I started my new troop this past year, I offered members of the CO and it's elected Board any and all adult leadership positions. They didn't want them, but I left it opened that in the future if someone wanted to be part of the unit they would be welcomed.

I see no problem with an elected board member of a CO being on THEIR unit's committee or adult leadership team.

Stosh

Comment

My troop is set up like this. At least one parent of every scout is a scouter reserve, committee member, or ASM. That way the troop has enough adult drivers that have YP and has passed the BSA background check. The board members are scouter reserves or minor committee members. The board members are not usually involved in the day to day running of the troop. The board members are chosen from the more dedicated families in the troop (scouts are 3 yrs or more into the program). The COR acts as an adviser and backcheck to the activities of the committee and scouts. Our COR goes on 1/3 of our camping trips. The troop hierarchy is set up as more of a balance and checks not a linear power system. The CC runs the committee, the SM runs the scouts, and the COR monitors and advises. All three positions report to the board. I have seen other troops and experienced the problems of a direct chain of command EO-COR-CC-SM system.

Comment

You actually want some of the CO people on your board. I know I have a few

Comment

This is actually very likely the case for almost every unit. Our CO has a vestry, the COR is not on the vestry. Almost every church is run by some kind of committee, it's probably pretty rare that the COR is on that committee.

Comment

Very timely. I am in a pickle right now as our CC has stepped down and no one will step up. I am president of the PTO and IH, Cubmaster, and "asst" DL. Pack has no civilian committee, just the leaders. Also Committee member of troop. Pulled a copy of the troop roster today and discovered 4 committee members YPT has expired. So until I can get a new CC the job is mine. But to the best of my understanding as IH I cannot be CC. I could be COR and CC, but then not Cubmaster. I don't know what to do. Some days I want to give up.

Comment

Originally posted by King Ding Dong View Post
              I don't know what to do. Some days I want to give up.
              If your pack runs the school year you get a break soon. Talk to the parents next year. Per Clarke of Scoutmastercg.com give the parents a few small tasks. By next November at recharter you will find a CC. Keep the faith.

Comment

V I don't know what to do. Some days I want to give up.
                Pull someone to the side and tell them !!!! Sometimes this has to be done, some wont step up until they are told.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I need to do some thinking on this.

KDD, a kind suggestion: if you have more than one ASM, get them to be CC and getting the committee up and running again. And/or start making phone calls, use job descriptions instead of titles when talking to folks. Those job titles can sound pretty scary to someone who has never been on the committee before.

Comment

Almost all the parents except for the 1st years are on the committee. Except for our treasurer and AC they all just want small jobs like med forms, popcorn or COH. We have a ton of ASMs but they are all former SMs that are only on the rolls because they have Life scouts hoping they will "finish". Only see them at Eagle service projects. By the way can get permission to deck the next parent I hear say "finish scouts" ?

Comment

By the end of summer I should be off PTO so I may just take the CC position and then force the crap back on the Scouts that they should be doing anyway. "That's not my job that's yours". That may be the only way to turn this eagle mill camping club into a troop.

Comment

... I may just take the CC position and then force the crap back on the Scouts that they should be doing anyway. "That's not my job that's yours". That may be the only way to turn this eagle mill camping club into a troop.
                        I don't want to discourage you, but trying to do that as CC will be no easier than from your current seat. Your job will to give the adults who want to serve responsibilities that support the SM and youth. Your job is to keep them on board while constantly turning their attention to the smiles on the boys faces after they return from camp.
                        Sure, you can refuse to sign bogus Eagle applications, make "I want more patrol method" pronouncements, etc... but that only gets you so far. Being able to say "While I'm doing this, could you help me by doing that?" Will be the tone for the day.

Comment

Working...
                        X