Tiger Cub Den Program

Monday was our Tiger Cub Den Meeting. I like to put each den activity on a 4x6 card, which makes it easy to change the order of activities or revise planned activities as needed.

1. Gathering activity --- boys made Tiger claws out of cardboard and taped them to their fingers.

(many parents are late getting to the den meeting, soc the gathering activity is designed to consumer enough time until most people are there. In this case the opening ceremony started about 6:40)

2. Opening ceremony---- the Tiger Cubs and I hold our den flag up by the staff with our left hands, made the Scout sign with our right hand and repeated the Cub Scout Promise which is on a poster,

3. We practiced a Tiger Cub song for our Pack meeting next Monday

"If your a Tiger and you know it show your CLAWS!"

Well, they had their claws on, and the signing was fun because they could act out the song.

4. We made Santa's sleigh out of a cardboard box which was towed by reigndeer pulling on a rope. The boys tied the rope and then practiced towing each other around and being towed as Santas and Reigndeer. The parents got to be reigndeer and tow their boys around.

Then the boys had a chance to decorate their sleigh using wrapping paper and stuff left over from making a den flag.

5. We completed the Tiger Cub den activity making leaqf rubbings, and the leaf rubbings were then used as part of a Holiday/Christmas greeting or thank you card. Since I find that few Tiger Cubs have much real drawing ability, I supply printouts of Cub Scout and Tiger cub images and holiday art that boys can cut out, arrange and glue onto a piece of 8x11 colored paper folded into a card. Of course they can make their own artwork if they wish to do so.

6. Closing ceremony, using the Law of the Pack.

That was a pretty full and active meeting!

• Downvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

<<5. We completed the Tiger Cub den activity making leaf rubbings, and the leaf rubbings were then used as part of a Holiday/Christmas greeting or thank you card. Since I find that few Tiger Cubs have much real drawing ability, I supply printouts of Cub Scout and Tiger cub images and holiday art that boys can cut out, arrange and glue onto a piece of 8x11 colored paper folded into a card. Of course they can make their own artwork if they wish to do so.

>>

I used this project to make my own Christmas and Thank You cards this year. Experience with that taught me that cards made from an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper folded in half were rather awkward and difficult to mail.

So I tried using a plain piece of stationery card stock with the envelope designed for it. That worked better. As I think about it. folding an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper into quarters might work well too. So I'll continue to experiment with this until I find the method that produces the best end result, and plan to use that next year.

One of the advantages of repeating the same level den program year after year is that you can refine and improve your program, which makes for higher quality results.