Recruiting Adults

I am a Unit Commissioner for a struggling Cub Scout Pack. Last spring the COR fired the previous Cubmaster. The previous CM and her husband pretty much ran the pack themselves. They had a couple den leaders and a committee chairperson on paper but most of those people were not doing anything. The CC did not even know he was registered as the CC. So when the CM and her husband left there were no leaders for the 10 Cub Scouts left in the pack. After many meetings and long discussions with the parents, the COR and I have recruited a CM, a CC, and Den Leaders for every den except the Tigers (parents are taking turns) and the 1st year Webelos (meeting with Webelos II for now). We convinced them to do a lot of recruiting this fall and now, at least on paper, they have over 30 scouts in the pack. Sounds great right?

Now to the problems - The CC and Webelos II leader will all be leaving the Pack in about 4 months. The CM is leaving next summer. The Cubmaster is already getting frustrated with how much everyone is depending on her to do everything (popcorn, recruiting, record keeping, recharter, etc.). It is obvious she needs more help. The other parents that have been in the program for a while don't want to take on anymore responsibilities than they absolutely have to and most of them are Webelos parents that will be leaving in a few months. The newer parents are reluctant to step up because, well they are new and don't feel like they know enough to be "in charge" of anything. So it is the age old question of how do they get more adults to step up and help? The CM has asked me to help her do a presentation about adult involvement to the parents at the next committee or pack meeting.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what type of presentation we can give to get parents to help out? Something that worked for you in the past?

Recruiting people is not really my strong suit so any suggestions you might have would be helpful.

Finding volunteers to help...

Nothing is more common in Scouting, or indeed in pretty much any volunteer based organization. The potential of volunteer organizations is pretty much limitless, except for the perpetual shortage of volunteers.

In my experience, you have two basic approaches ---- coercion or finding and motivatinf real volunteers who make the organization and it's values their own. You may need both!

Since we can't throw non volunteers in jail, pretty much all leader recruiting begins by making new people feel welcome and in impressing themn with what the organization is doing and can do.

This tends to be most effective with people new to the organization --- recently recruited families and parents. The artful dodgers who have avoided doing things for years may have perfected their methods and be very resistant to new appeals.

So personally, I aim my efforts at impressing new adults with the QUALITY of the program and the WELCOME they receive into the pack. I organize a Bobcat Den of newly recruited families and have Bobcat Den meetings that go over the Bobcat requirements, have fun projects and activities and a hike and hot dog roast, which includes a half hour selling popcorn in the fall.

That also gives me the opportunity to assess the interest and abilities of parents or grandparents, and to invite those with interest and ability to help in some way with the program ---- inviting them to participate and making them feel engaged and welcomed..

In short, my leader recruiting begins with combing out those adults with leadership potential and to give them roles and experience as leaders in the unit. If they perform, they can be invited to do more, and they are likely to be willing to do more.

Well, that's a start on this deep subject. I look forward to seeing many more posts and ideas!

Have not done this but I just giggle over the thought. The White Board Technicque. Have a mandatory Parent meeting. Write all the Pack activities on the board and then ask for a chair for each activity. When no raises their hand it gets erased off the board. I have heard by the time you get to Pinewood Derby they get the idea and start stepping up.

• Downvote 1
Another approach that we are starting to implement is to just assign certain activities to each Den and it is the Parents (not Den Leaders) job to make it happen.

And when it doesn't happen? The DL will step in an do it because they don't want to disappoint their boys.

I really hate to get railroaded like that because it's the collateral DL that takes the brunt of it .

Instead, offer up the activity needing adult leadership. If no one steps forward, then cancel it. No popcorn fundraising this year. No money in the bank? Not a problem if you want your boy to have the Bear award and 1 gold and 2 silver arrow points, the cost is going to be $XX.XX. If you don't wish to buy these for your boys, no problem he's still having a great time in Cub Scouts. Blue Gold will be potluck for those who bring a dish to pass, those who don't are invited for coffee and cookies following the awards ceremony for those boys who's parents provided awards.

The boys are all going to _____________ for an outing this month. The cost is $XX.XX, due 3 days prior to leaving. Oh, you don't have $XX.XX? I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sure your boy will be disappointed in not being able to go.

Brutal? Since when is it the scout leader's job to provide all of this AND run the program? Or is it just as brutal to have all these boys pumped up for scouting just to disappoint them because the parents won't get off their butts and help?

Caring Scout leaders tend to absorb more guilt than the non-caring parents. Don't blame a poor program on unsupported scout leaders, put the blame where it belongs.

Stosh

I read this “For the Love of Cub Scouts: The unofficial guide for building a stronger pack-your Scouts will love-in only an hour a week†and it stuck home with me because it is close to what you have been saying “It is for the boys†this is a cub masters minute that he uses to recruit new volunteers. He clames he gets at least two volunteers every time he gives this speech

“Start with a cash register tape that is very long-the longer the better. Use this tape to represent the lifeline of a Cub Scout in your pack-no need to name someone. Place highly visible marking at equal intervals across the tape, numbered from 0-90. Have a Scout hold on end of the tape and another Scout hold the other end so the entire tape is visible to your audience. You’re ready to deliver your message….â€Â

“Folks this tape represents the lifeline of one of our Scouts. I would like to spend a moment to a moment to explore the times in there lives when as adults; we can make the highest impact in their lives that they will rememberâ€Â

Walk from the low numbers to the high numbers of the tape, saying “At the far end of the tape-we can all acknowledge that it is out hope that as adults, our kids outlive usâ€Â.

Tear off any of the tape beyond the number 65, and allow the scout to let it drop to the floor as he now hold the tape at the number 65

Walk back towards the low numbers on the tape and share, “of course-who among us can truly recall those early years when out parents fed us, changed our diapers and taught us how to talk?†Tear off any of the tape before the age of 6, and allow the scout to let it drop to the floor as he now holds the tape up at the number 7.

Next say “Once our kids reach college age-they tent to move out for school or careers. We really don’t get to see them nearly as often from this point on-as we do nowâ€Â

Tear off an of the tape beyond the number 18, and allow the scout to let it drop to the floor as he now holds the tape at the number 18.

“In some families, once kids reach their teenage years-it can be challenging to find ways to stay connected with our kids. They develop relationships out of the home, explore new interests-in short, it may no longer be as cool to hang with mom or dad or the family.â€Â

Tear off any of the tape beyond the number 12, take both ends of the remaining tape from the scouts and raise it up for the audience to see.

“As you can see-it turns out that that years your son is in Cub Scouts are the ones that they will be the most receptive for you to make and impact in their lives that they will remember. Out pack can use your help on a task or two to make this experience memorable and impactful for all out kids. Please see us right after the meeting and we can tell you how “

Link to the purchase the book http://www.amazon.com/For-Love-Cub-Scouts-love/dp/1491805404

• Upvote 1

This is the #1 complaint I get working with Packs in my District. There's no magic bullet, but I would suggest creating a list of the top 5 things you need done, with a brief description of what each one entails and an estimate of the time commitment. At least a couple should be simple and quick. Have individual meetings with each family's Adults - coffee, at your home, at their home. Don't do it at Pack meetings. Explain the general need for help and talk with them about the specific opportunities available. For your new parents, give them an early, easy "win" (you might consider having a 5-point list of really simple, one day or "a few hours" jobs just for the new Adults). Ask them personally for their commitment to help make their son's - and all the boys - Cub Scout experience better. When someone says "yes" praise them to the skies at your next Pack meeting...and add a new job to your list.

We had success with an "every parent leads" talk at a mandatory parent breakout at pack meeting (den leaders playing with the boys in the gym away from the CM and adult recruiting), followed by the white board approach. The concept is that every parent can do something and is expected to do something. (We did the list of things on poster board.) After signup the poster gets posted or otherwise published.

Closing of pack meeting, Scout son gets recognized (chocolate something or toy something) at the pack meeting for his parent signing up.... Tiger scout Matthew come on down! Matthew's dad is going to head up the fall hike, here's a chocolate bar for you to share with your dad....

I actually like the "every parent leads" requirement. I would like to transition to that, but it's proving very difficult. & I'm a fairly good sized pack with 41 boys..... that's at least 41 adults to pull from.... realistically more like 80.... and even more with grandparents that would like to be involved in their grandson's life.....

I spoke with someone at University of Scouting from a different unit. they did basically that, said that every parent has to do "something".

They would start their Tiger parents off in small roles.... like bringing the snack to a meeting....

Another aspect I liked is their 'tradition' was that a 1st year WEBELOS parent did CM.

~~I think he said that usually a Bear parent would be the ACM.

These are parents that have been involved a couple years now so they know ~~how the pack operates.... not scary to the new Tiger parents

This way, it was a 1 year commitment for the big job.

the CM would still be around for his son's WEB2 half year in an advisory role / safety net.

I wish I remembered what he said about the DL's and other roles, and keeping them from getting burned out....

I want to transition to something like this, but can't get traction.

We have a good group of den leaders, but can't fill other committee roles

I've tried blanket emails asking for general help

face to face general invites to help

face to face targeted.... I need you do do X....

I even set up a sign-up genius with everything from Assistant CM, treasurer, etc.... to someone to bring snacks to the November pack meeting.... and I have even appealed for folks to consider grand parents that may want to get involved....

Always the same...."well I work full time", or "I coach my son's.... & don't have time", or "I travel with work"... etc....

Thanks Mattman578 for that CM Minute idea...... I'm chewing on using that one at my next meeting, or some variation on that theme.....

Have not done this but I just giggle over the thought. The White Board Technicque. Have a mandatory Parent meeting. Write all the Pack activities on the board and then ask for a chair for each activity. When no raises their hand it gets erased off the board. I have heard by the time you get to Pinewood Derby they get the idea and start stepping up.

Did this for the first time this year !

Add to that the committee to help the Chair and a budget amount to cover the cost of it and instead of doing it on a white board, just do it on a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, collect the filled out ones, make copies, collate into books, send to each parent. Toss the not filled ones in the trash. You're done for the year.

I've done this for groups a lot larger than a BSA unit and it always works very well.

If posted on the wall, people can scan over them just before being taken down to fill in the open blanks rather than just erasing them from the whiteboard without being able to go back and review the activity further.

Stosh

• 2 months later...
Another approach that we are starting to implement is to just assign certain activities to each Den and it is the Parents (not Den Leaders) job to make it happen.

For the last 2 years me as being the cubmaster has planned and ran every pack meeting. From the beginning of this year, I assigned each den to help with a specific meeting. I would create the agenda and get them their copy a week before but they have all needed to work together to get the activities or games completed. This has especially important for me as my son is a W2 and I'm about gone and do not have a replacement (another long story).

1) Have a quality program

2) Ask parents to do a simple activity, such as bringing food to a den or pack activity.

3) Those that actually DO #2 when asked are your potential leaders. Ask them to do other tasks, and invite them to come to Pack Committee Meetings.

4. It takes time and experience for people to grow into supporting the Cub Scout program in many cases. People gradually develope friends within the pack and a commitment to the program.

5) Not everyone is interested or capable of being an effective leader, and most of those people need to be developed as leaders gradually over time.