Fish and Wildlife coming to a Den meeting

I am lucky enough to have been able to get a hold of out local Florida Fish and Wildlife office, and they are able to send someone out to do a presentation on basically anything I may need from him. So I went about and asked my den leaders what they would like for me to tell him so he is able to be prepared. This will be for the Tigers, up to the Webelow II. I figured I would come to yall for any ideas you might have on what he can come and talk to the boys about. Thank you so much for any ideas you may have. What can he discuss and the boys will be able to work towards a belt loop or achievements in their books?

That is awesome and especially so that he is willing to be flexible in what he will present!

We recently had someone come out from our local raptors and animal sanctuary to speak at our September pack meet. She brought one of her birds with her and discussed many of the ones she had at the sanctuary, how they got there, along with some endangered species around here. She also covered on why it was illegal to have certain real feathers in your possession (which a fellow den leader then tied into the feathers OA members use which was fascinating to all of us that had no idea.)

Since it was the pack meet leading into October, she explained all her responsibilities and how the scouts could be responsible as far as local wildlife goes. We were able to tie the endangered species part of her presentation in with the wildlife conservation belt loop. The individual dens can work on the rest of the requirements during a meet of theirs if they choose (if not, that's fine, the boys still loved meeting Captain Andy!) That beltloop's requirements are:

• Explain what natural resources are and why it's important to protect and conserve them.
  • Make a poster that shows and explains the food chain. Describe to your den what happens if the food chain becomes broken or damaged.
  • Learn about an endangered species. Make a report to your den that includes a picture, how the species came to be endangered, and what is being done to save it.

If you have time, you can also check out the Cub Scout World Conservation Award: http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/award/cub_scout_world_conservation-206.asp

It may be tricky to work in enough to cover each rank but if he can suggest, during his presentation, a type of conservation project you can all work on (while tying it into whatever subjects he presents), that would be a step towards earning that award. And like the beltloop above, the dens could work individually on the rest if they chose to do so.

Hope it goes well for y'all and the scouts enjoy it!

• Downvote 1