Cub Scout Religious Emblems Question

Hi all,

I have scoured the internet (and these forums) trying to find a thread referring to this specifically but so far have found nothing that answers me directly. I am asking for a friend whose scout is a second year Webelos and is on his way to earning his religious emblem. Once he has earned it, is it required for him to re-earn it as a Boy Scout or can it be carried over?

Also asking this for future reference for myself and my den's scouts, if a scout earns their emblem as a Tiger/Wolf/Bear, does it have to be re-earned again at any time in cub scouts?

Thanks so much!

Some awards are age-specific, so can only be earned during certain stages. For instance, for Jewish Scouts, there are 2 different Cub level awards (one for Tiger/Wolf and one for Bear/Webelos) and 2 different Scout level awards( for Scouts under 14 and then for 14-18), and an adult award as well. Once any of them is earned, the Scout can wear the silver knot on a purple background- they are supposed to add a small pin (called a device) that shows what level of Scouting the were in when the knot was earned. There is no expiration on the wearing of the knot to my knowledge. But, it is always the hope of the organizations that sponsor these programs (the medals are not provided by BSA, only the knot is) that the boys will continue their studies and earn the other available medals. Awards earned as an adult, if available for a particular faith, earn a purple knot on a silver background

• Upvote 1

There are different, age-appropriate emblem programs for cubs, boys scouts, venturers, and even adults. So, yes, it carries over, but, yes, he can earn the boy-scout one as well. If he earns multiple awards as a member of multiple programs, he can simply display his accomplishments by purchasing the corresponding device pins and a religious awards knot.

This lays out the gist of the program nicely: http://www.scoutinsignia.com/devices.htm

• Upvote 1

Hi Faith!

I think you'll find all you need here:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Awards/ReligiousAwards/faq.aspx

And more specifically this part, as there are usually varying levels of religious awards in Cubs and then Boy Scouts:

[h=3]If the religious emblems program for my faith has more than one level (for the different grade levels), may my child earn all of these recognitions?[/h] Yes. Members can earn all levels of their religious emblems program. However, they must be in the appropriate program guidelines when they start and complete each level (they may not go backward and earn younger programs).

• Upvote 1

From what I have experienced, some of the religious programs have various age levels which can be taken to earn the knot and get the medallion. The boy could earn it at a Cub level or a Boy level. But he only needs to earn it once at any level to get the knot.

Now if the boy does earn it as a Cub Scout and then continues with the program and earns another level in Boy Scouts, he can put a Cub device and Boy Scout device on his knot to show that it was earned in both programs. I'm thinking some of these religious programs have multiple levels even within each level of scouting.

He can carry that knot (with devices if present) forward onto his adult uniform.

Technically these religious knot programs are NOT part of the BSA, but BSA recognizes them as they are earned in each religious program.

Stosh

Thank y'all so very much! I had the scouting.org page bookmarked but by the time I got to it my eyes were swimming. I had not found the scoutinsignia.com one, thanks again everybody :) I will send all this info to her now and make note myself!

Thanks again :) I didn't think it was required but wanted to make sure (I knew it was an option for us this year as Bears but not mandatory.) Once I read through the sites I too saw it wasn't part of the BSA but accepted by them as jblake47 stated. You learn something new every day :)

• 2 months later...

I know I'm necro-ing an old thread of mine but this scout just completed this. His mom had one question and I cannot find the answer anywhere. There is a form for everyone to sign and her to fill out to submit for his emblem. Do you turn in that same form at the scout shop for his knot? They want to present the knot at our B&G after he gets the emblem at his church. But we can't find a form anywhere online for it while the scout shop website says you have to turn in paperwork (I haven't called ours as its closed right now and told her I'd check here.) If I don't get a reply, we'll just call then :)

I would suspect that any notice from your religious organization that comes with the emblem would be enough for the Scoutshop to hand you a knot and device. My scoutshop does not require paperwork to get the knot.

Depends on the Religion for the award. You would go to your local Archdiocesan Office to pick up your Catholic Awards. www.Praypub.org needs for you to fill out the back of the workbook and have signed then sent off for the Protestant religious awards. Bismillah for Muslims go to http://islamiccouncilonscouting.com/ and download the form and have your Scout's Imam sign off and sent to address on form. Your Scoutshop does not carry any of the awards. They carry the brochures as a courtesy. I would plan on a minimum of 3 weeks for any of these. The praypub website has some good links for other Religions.

Thank you so much, Tonkatim :) I'm good for doing that myself ;) Sorry I caused confusion by bringing this thread back up, maybe I should have made a new one :D But now someone has all the replies in one spot!