New Cubmaster with an idea...feedback requested!

New Cubmaster with an idea...feedback requested!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Hi all--first post here. Thanks in advance for weighing in on my question. :-) I just became the Cubmaster for my Pack this Summer and am looking for ideas to make

• Yes, done right. (Please explain)
    • Yes, but very sparingly.
    • Probably not.
    • Definitely not. (Please explain)

Hi all--first post here. Thanks in advance for weighing in on my question. :-)

I just became the Cubmaster for my Pack this Summer and am looking for ideas to make the meetings memorable and fun. I've had a lifelong interest in puppets and puppetry, so naturally it occurred to me to bring that into the picture. What I'm considering is having a Cub Scout puppet as a recurring character to address the kids or maybe do a little sketch with another puppet here and there. It'd be only a three to five minute segment, so it wouldn't take a whole lot of time, but as I said, I think it would be memorable. Although I know I would have loved a well-done puppet show (and yes, I know the difference between a dumb, haphazard puppet show and an actually funny one) at any stage of my life, I fear that in this day and age it could be considered too childish by the older kids. I don't want them to tune out. My son is a Webelos I and is practically begging me to do it, but that may just be because he's a chip off the old block(head). What do you think? Good or bad idea? Any suggestions?

Steve Douglas

ABSOLuTELyy!!! (Yes I'd be shouting if it wouldn't scare the dog.) you've got the right idea on time limits and such. But, understand that at some point you'll have to let the boys in on the act. Maybe one month you could visit a den and teach them how to put on a show or make their own puppets. Or they could right a script for a skit, and you and your puppet would be an actor. Have fun. If you ever post a public video, share the link!

• Downvote 1

I think qwazse has a great idea. Do it for a meeting or so, but then take it to den meetings and let them put on a show for the pack. Seems like a great idea to get the boys into storytelling.

Hi all--first post here. Thanks in advance for weighing in on my question. :-)

Although I know I would have loved a well-done puppet show (and yes, I know the difference between a dumb, haphazard puppet show and an actually funny one) at any stage of my life, I fear that in this day and age it could be considered too childish by the older kids. I don't want them to tune out. My son is a Webelos I and is practically begging me to do it, but that may just be because he's a chip off the old block(head). What do you think? Good or bad idea? Any suggestions?

Steve Douglas

I assume that you have read the webelos activities. Puppets is a big part of showman. I would incorporate the Webelos so that they can work on showman. Personally I think showman is the hardest of the activities because it requires either learning an instrument or putting on a play or a puppets. I would assume that the den leader would like the help.

• Upvote 1

Well, if you're good at puppet building, creating an "Ethan" puppet to match the new Cub Scout Program Mascot as a Howdy-Doody mannequin would be a neat start. Keep the skits short, and use it to hand out Advancements, so the kids can get a little interaction with it (and an incentive to earn an award). Involve the Webelos in the skits (maybe sound/light effects? scenery movers?), they like to start getting into the "backstage" stuff at this point.

I voted yes if done right.

Hey, I figure you have to do as CM, or in any leader role, what you are comfortable doing..... all with the aim of learning and fun.

A big part of scouting is getting the boys in front of a crowd, doing skits, songs, and such.

Some leader's thing might be high energy action and games

others might have a humor gift

I can imagine a leader out there someplace that could do a little comedy/musical routine with guitar. (ever seen the youth minister on the TV show The Middle?)

Your shtick is puppetry. It must be a strength, so use it.

You must be good at it if your son wants you to do it.....

but now if you only thought you were good at it, but really aren't.... well then..... you'll know pretty quick if you pay attention.

if the boys are paying attention, great!

If they are laughing, even better!

The lack of an appealing shtick is my biggest burden as CM.

My Webelos made their own stick puppets and scenery and wrote their own play for a puppet show to put on at one of the pack meetings. It was a huge hit with the pack and the Webelos loved doing it. Cub Scouts are not too old to enjoy a good puppet show. The sillier the better.

You could even incorporate your puppet into your monthly Cubmaster Minute. The boys might actually listen to what you have to say if it is being told or acted out by a puppet.

What do the boys think?

It is one thing to produce and play in a puppet play of your own creation, it is something else entirely to sit and be forced to watch one.

The boys sit all day in school and told to be quite, not wiggle or fiddle around. The best pack meeting I ever had as CM were active ones, with dancing, singing and games ohhhh the games......minute to win it ones are the best.

Matt man is sort of right, but WE need to remember that fun is different based on the age. Ages and Stages remember that one?

Sounds like it could turn into something great. Personally I would keep the first "show" to right around 3 minutes. Always leave the audience wanting more, as they say. And I think you will probably know, pretty much immediately, whether there should be a second show. Oh, and Welcome to the Forums!

• Upvote 1