Pack Auction

I didn't think this through, and it was a train wreck.

OK, so I got this idea from somebody

Running an auction at a pack meeting.

So I print up some pack cash, $5 bills, $1bills

Every boy gets $5 for showing up to the meeting

Then a boy that does something....helping, showing up in uniform, good behavior, etc.... get an extra $1

They can save the cash form meeting to meeting

Then at some point in the meeting, I'll auction off a few items.... patches, stickers, flashlight, other trinkets for the scout store or wherever....

So I tried this at our last meeting, but to keep the start simple I didn't give the extra cash to do-gooders. So every boy has $5

So the first item comes out of my bag, a Cub Scout Frisbee.

You'd think these guys never owned a toy before. It was mad chaos..... every boy immediately screams "FIVE DOLLARS!"

The next item..... a Cub Scout Pencil. I simple wooded pencil, nothing all that special....."FIVE DOLLARS!"

I basically had to give the item to a random boy.... so a few boys got stuff, and the rest went away disappointed.

What a train wreck.

So now I feel like I need to continue with it.... the boys sure did get excited....

but I need to tweak it.

I'm thinking for the next mtg I'll give every boy $1 for showing up.

Give the boys that do the opening flags $1

When I notice a boy acting especially good I'll give him $1

and my wife suggested I give a few bucks to each Den leader to award good behavior during the pack meeting.

I'm not sure about doing tis in my pack, but occasionally I might award money to the boy(s) in the most complete uniform.

This way I'm

rewarding good behavior

and giving out differing amounts so that every boy can't run up to the same dollar amount....

Any thoughts?

What else am I missing?

What are you trying to teach?

Being rewarded for good actions? Buy low sell high? Budgeting?

I like the uniform idea. But do it aspart of the uniform inspection so they get $ for each part they do right.

At my sons school they are rewarded with "credit" for good behavior, etc. But it is an all year process where they can earn and lose. But by extending the duration of the process.

What are you trying to teach?

Being rewarded for good actions? Buy low sell high? Budgeting?

Great question.....

this all may be a bad idea, but to answer

1st it's not all about teaching. It's having fun. What boy doesn't like to walk away with good "stuff"?

but beyond that, it's reinforcing good behavior (or behavior modification to look at it another way)

if you do it for uniforms, it's encouraging uniform wear....

what I picture is ask

everyone in uniform stand up.

if you don't have scout pants on, sit down.

If you don't have scout socks on, sit down...

and go like this until only the boys in full uniform, or as close to it, are standing.... and they get money

I'll bet more boys would be in more complete uniform the next time....

teaching responsibility with money

~~

At my sons school they are rewarded with "credit" for good behavior' date=' etc. But it is an all year process where they can earn and lose. ~~.[/quote']

I considered adding in the loose for bad behavior too..... but that just seems wrong

Anyway, like I said, that's my thoughts. Maybe a bad idea. I'm just looking for input....

If having fun is your goal, I offer this suggestion: This requires two portion tickets, like you'd use for a raffle.

Our former pack at one time had "on time" tickets for the pack meetings. Scouts who arrived before the meeting was to start were each given a ticket. During lulls in the pack meeting, the Den Chiefs or Cubmaster would draw a ticket out of they bowl, whoever had the matching ticket received a prize. Not all prizes were scout related, some were donated by businesses, some were bought on sale.

There may just be about 2 cubbies in your pack that will actually save the bucks meeting after meeting, in order to outbid the other scouts.

I think a better way to recognize good behavior or uniforming to give den awards instead of individual awards.

With the auction, your always going to have 99% of the scouts disappointed, because they didn't have enough loot to bid, or someone bid faster than them. I just don't think it's a good idea.

You are forgetting Taxes. You can't earn money without paying taxes. At Halloween my wife and I impose the Candy Tax. "You don't think Mom and I are going to get dragged around the neighborhood all night just so You can get free candy do you? We can reach into your bag and take whatever we want whenever we want and you better keep quite about it. Get used to it."

I've seen Cubucks used to good effect. Award Cubucks for full uniform, partial uniform, showing up on time, doing a "good deed" (catch'em good!), best new neckerchief slide, best skit at the meeting (whole Den get's'em. Pack votes!), even a Cubuck for a new rank or arrow point. Maybe parents would like to credit Cubucks for chores at home well done? Raking the leaves of a invalid neighbor? Be creative here!

BUT..... not an auction, a store! Every so often , you schedule a Cubstore with the usual stuff, as you mentioned, with "reasonable " prices posted. You can even get the DenChiefs or Denners or Webelos to run it. Charge Tax! The Pack gets a little bit back, the Cubs learn alittle bit about commerce. Sell stuff for mom and dad Christmas presents... Make it a Yardsale type thing, old toys donated. But NOT an auction. Drawbacks you have mentioned and noted above.

Put BALOO on the obverse/face of the Cubuck. , "In Baden-Powell we trust" on the reverse/back....

Well, the problem I see with a store is that it must be stocked.

.... not that it's a bad idea mind you, I actually like it, but every good thing has an opposing problem....

there would be higher dollar stuff

and cheap stuff for those scouts that only want to spend $1

but still you have to have something for everyone. 50 scouts means 50 items in the store (at least), every time the store is open!

The raffle idea is something I thought of, but I didn't think about a twist like "on time"

With the exception of a well stocked store, and maybe even then, there will likely be disappointed boys

But I have seen all of these ideas used with success and fun. Even the auction. It's great fun. It's just a matter of execution.