Easy worksheets for knots?

I am a wolf den leader, and am planning to have some ongoing activities with knots this year. Does anyone know of a link to "worksheets" which explain each (easy for now) knot in detail, that I can print out to give to my scouts to take home? Also, I got poly rope to cut up to give to them to use in class and take home, how do I secure the edges of the rope? Tape? Melt with a lighter/candle?

First, forget worksheets, find diagrams. (to me worksheets implies blanks to fill out). Google Boy Scout knots, and you should be able to find some pretty good diagrams of the 6 knots.The 6 Boyscout Knots at meritbadge.org is pretty good.

By poly do you mean polyester or do you mean polypropylene? I wouldn't recommend polypropylene for scout knot tying. I'd be careful with polyester, if it has a center that is made of a different substance. I have troubles getting it to fuse right. Ideally, you would tape, then melt, then whip. That said, I usually just melt.

Second question first - tape or melt - for one of the wolf electives, which is on knots, one of the things it calls out for is "Tape Whipping" - I'd suggest that's the answer - don't do it for them, show them how it's done and let then each do the tape whipping on their own lengths of polyrope - I always used black electrical tape for this. That will both solve your dilemma and get them a check mark off one of the elective items.

For a worksheet - check the wolf book first - it probably has the diagrams you're looking for already.

Remeber this is Wolf. They should not need a bunch of handouts or applications it is just a couple of basic knots. I think you would be better off sticking with the couple knots that are in the book then trying to teach them a bunch of knots that will overwhelm them.

Wolf

overhand

square

tying your shoes with over hand bow

wrap a package

tie a stack of paper

join two ropes together with overhand

tie a tie (1/2 windsor)

whip a rope with tape

Bears

whipping with string

Square