Webelos/Troop combined camp out.

We are in the process of organizing a joint WEB/Troop weekend campout (Webelos to scout transition plan related) and have a few questions. How important is it to have a planned out schedule of skills to learn/practice vs having a loosely scheduled weekend where they just experience what camping is all about.

Does anyone have any good ideas of skills appropriate for Webelos that could be taught by the boys in the troop? We want to make this as enjoyable experience as possible for the Webs, as a first time CM, I would appreciate any advice I can get!

Thanks in advance.

A roll of twine, a few sticks and let them make rope. One doesn't need a fancy gadget to wind rope, it can be done by hand.

Don't do "classes". All instruction is to be done one-on-one so that troop boys get to know the Webs personally. Making rope is a two person operation, perfect for this type of gathering.

Lots of activity games. There's no such thing as too many games.

Kid fun food. Make sure it's something new. Hobo dinners are a bit worn out by the time they get to Boy Scouts. Dutch oven is good, not many packs have them. Stews, cobblers, kinds of meals are good and easy to make, Cubs could help out with the prep. Again, one-on-one.

If one is a patrol method troop, break the troop into half patrols with the other half Webelos and work/camp as patrols.

Have separate "fun" activities for the adults if one has a boy-led program.

Try and make it as reflective of what one normally does in the Troop as possible so that one doesn't put on their best show of the year only to disappoint the boys when they finally join when it's not what was advertised.

Stosh

I can tell you what we do:

We have a large troop, and have Tenderfoot Weekend around the 1st weekend in May every year. It is at a local park, and we had 16 new scouts, and about 25 older scouts attend this year.

About 5 years ago, we started invited the Webelos to join us, Saturday afternoon until 9:30 a.m. the next morning. One or two older scouts, some Eagle Rank, are assign to work with each Webelos Den. They go over the Outdoorsman Requirements with the Webelos, plus prepare a skit with them, for the evening campfire. The fringe benefits for the troop, is that the Webelos (and their parents) get to see our older scouts, working with the new scouts, and signing off their requirements. Also, at the campfire, the new scouts are all given the troop's neckerchief. Their parents are invited out for the campfire. We might have as many as 130 people at the campfire, and 12 Dutch Ovens going.

The Webelos sleep in the troop's scouts tents. Their adult partner sleep in platform tents that the park has, or bring their own tent. The older scouts that are working with the Webelos, sleep in tents by the Webelos - just in case, the Webelos have a problem in the night.

I would go with the loose schedule, lots of free and fun time program. For the skills to practice go with the ones they probably don't get anywhere else -- lots of fire building and sharp objects.

I disagree with JBlake, set the hook with this campout, and if it's an annual event it just becomes the best weekend on the calendar for everyone. After all, if you had the chance would you order up perfect weather or a cold dreary weekend as a first campout?

We pretty much open our entire schedule to any Webelos family that wants to attend. When we get one or two on a campout, we pair them with a Patrol.

The specific event for Webelos we do is in January at a State Park Lodge that's very rustic, with lots of great outdoor activities available - nature walks, hikes through waterfalls, service projects, etc. If the weather is foul, we can move inside part of the time and work on Scout skills. Some of it's scheduled, other parts not. Emphasis on working with the Webelos to finish up anything they need for AOL or other advancements, campfire Saturday night. Scouts work with Cubs, Adult Leaders talk to the parents.

Up here in Northern Minnesota, Winter is a bad time to have a campout where we are trying to "get their feet wet" when it comes to camping, so we are working on following the BSA's Webelos to Scout Transition guide, which reccomends an october camping trip. We have been going through a leadership transition where I'm taking over as cubmaster of a pack that was disfunctional at best last year. Looking back at our advancement records we have Web II's that are 4 requirements and the fitness activity badge away from earning their webelos badge for whatever reason. I have been working with our new Webelos Leader to work on the Fitness badge (pin) in september. I had thought about having the boys from the troop work with them on the remaining requirements on the campout.

in planning with the scoutmaster I would like to mix in a few competetions or games that would be beneficial to both the boys from the troop and the boys from the pack. Perhaps splitting them up into two groups (our troop consists of 5 or 6 boys with a tenderfoot rank or below) with boy scouts and webelos in both groups and have say a lashing contest. who can make the best "whatever" where the boys can show the WEBs a skill, giving them a chance to work on leadership skills, and the WEBs can do some hands on stuff to get them active.

This way it breaks up the day and doesn't seem like a "class" so to speak.

What are some other reccomendation for games that can be fun for both boy scouts, and webelos to play?

While it's nice to have a campout, it is not required for AOL. Any outdoor activity will do. Just a hike. Well, we rent a cabin at the local council camp for the weekend, invite the Webelos boys and then hike over to the sledding hill, etc. throughout the weekend and sleep/cook in the cabin. It works well for a lot of the Webelos boys that haven't slept in a tent and mid-October isn't the best time to try it out.

Stosh

Look at the outdoorsman requirement and determine which ones you can incorporate. For example yo want to make sure that the scout help put up the tent. Outdoorsman can be completed pretty easily in a camping setting.

1 - talk to the troop about pack for camping. You could then have the Web demonstrate what they learned next den meeting

2 and 7- Teach the web how to make a fire and then plan a evening activities

4- have thrm set up the tents

5 and 6 - leave no trace / coservation project

10 - whip and fuse rope

11- use the rope in 10 to tie a dining fly

8 - participate in a meal planning / cooking using the dining fly made in 11

It sounds like you pack doesn't camp much? Is the troop supplying the equipment? If not you are going to want to do a camping 101 program with the Web's parents ahead of time. If they are going to be buying equipment you want to make sure everyone doesn't buy more than they need and what they buy is correct for their intended purpose. For example if the troop doesn't supply the equipment are they a backpacking troop or car camping troop that is going to change my advice on tents, kitchens and even sleeping systems.

The troop that my son would be most likely going to cross over to is a backpacking troop. But they supply the tents, stoves and backpacks (for the small scouts). It would not do any good to buy a white gas coleman camp stove and a 6 person tent if joining this troop. (I think there are pro's and con's of car camping vs backpacking troop so I do not want this to turn into that but it can be different equipment and different skill can be learned)

correct, our pack has not camped much at all. and the camping we do is at our council owned cub camp that has cabins available. The troop does have all the equipment we will need. Many of the ideas given for activities/skills/stuff to do have crossed my mind, which is a good thing as I feel i'm mostly on the same page as the rest of you. I was just looking for ideas that I may not have thought of.

i like your ideas about outdoorsman Sidney, All of the boys that will be going have already earned it, but giving a chance to review it out in the woods is a great idea. None of these boys attended any summer events this year so it would be doubley (if thats a word) good to review it I feel. I was also looking at Naturalist requirements and trying to incorporate some of those as well.

???

Duck Wars.

Everyone goes out into the woods and finds a 2' stick about 2" in diameter.

Once that's done select up sides or stay as patrols and have 4-5 - 10 "sides" it doesn't make any difference.

1) Every boy holds stick behind their knees.

2) Squat down locking stick behind knees.

3) Reach with both arms behind stick as far as elbows

4) Interlock fingers in front of shins.

5) You are now armed and dangerous.

Object of the game is to knock over or cause your opponent to release their hand grip. Once they do that they are "Dead Ducks" and out of the game.

Last Duck standing wins.

In my troops, there's no such thing as game over. There's only a truce until next time. :)

Caution: Never play adults against the boys. You will lose!

Stosh

• Downvote 1