A couple of questions

My Tiger Cub and I are just finishing up a week at day camp, our last day is tomorrow. Today, he earned a certificate for Pro Marksman in BB gun shooting, meaning he hit the bullseye 5 times. I was told by a mother of an older boy that he has now earned a BB gun shooting belt loop. Can Tigers earn belt loops? Also, he hasn't been awarded his Bobcat badge yet, though he has completed all the requirements with his den leader (my husband). We're waiting until regular meetings start in September to start working on the Bobcat badge and the Tiger badge all together, as a den. So, if Tigers *can* earn belt loops, can Tigers earn belt loops before any rank has been earned? Also, are there other belt loops or awards that are earned by attending summer camp?

I don't know the details of the new cub program, so I'll let others expound on it.

Every camp is different, so talk to your camp director. He/she will have a good idea of what parts of the program are tailored for cub advancement.

Glad to hear your family is having fun with the program. :)

If I was CM I'd make sure he received some kind of recognition asap. The belt loop would be fine but to me it would be important to make the recognition, in whatever form it took, in front of all the other boys and parents and let him 'shine' for his accomplishment. I had a box full of trophies, little plaques, and certificate templates that I'd use if the 'official' award wasn't immediately available.

• Downvote 1

Boys typically complete all sorts of requirements at camp. But because awards and recognitions are awarded through packs, day camps are careful not to step on the toes of unit leaders. Most camps (or at least the good ones) go to some trouble to report to unit leaders the accomplishments of their cubs at day camp so that the unit leaders can make the awards.

• Downvote 1

What Twocub said. The CSDC should provide a list of awards and rank requirements (knots, flag ceremony, nature , etc. ) that the Cub may have learned/participated in/fulfilled. They should encourage the Pack/Den leadership to review with the Cub(s) what exactly was accomplished , and congratulate them accordingly. The Pac

k makes the awards, not the CSDC. The Tiger can "earn" the belt loop (if that is the CSDC result), but IMHO, he should not be awarded the BL until the first Pack Meeting. There, the CM should make a show of the Cubs that earned stuff over the summer, thus encouraging others to do so next summer AND thruout the coming year. Line all the Tigers up, first award them their Bobcats, and go on to all the other neat bling....

Lead the Pack in a "rocket cheer" and have fun!

KiSMiF!

Summer camp should provide a list of what the scout should have earned. They may give that to the actual scout or to the unit. Yes tigers can earn sports and academic belt loops (at least next year).

I don't think the Pro Marksman is the actual requirement. Although I am going to agree he probably earned it. My understanding of the requirements it must be completed at a district / council. Because of this the BAS doesn't actually publish the requirements on their website.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/CubScouts/CubScouts/UniformsAndAwards/sanda/asterisk.aspx

But some non official sites list them. But even these have slight differences

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/cub-scouts/acadsports/bbshooting.asp

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Cub_Scout_Sports_BB-Gun_Shooting_Award_Requirements#Belt_Loop_Requirements

At camp they are normally going to get pretty good range safety instructions. Depending on the camp and the instructor (and the time allowed) they may or may not get great shooting technique instruction. But I don't think that hitting the bulls eye 5 times is the requirement.

As far as when he will get it. That is up to the unit. The software we use did not award anything until bobcat was achieved. I don't know if that was a limitation of the software or policy that the Bobcat needs to be the first award. We had a kid join as a web 1 last year he earned some items prior to his bobcat but he ended up getting those once the bobcat was completed even though they were entered earlier.

Summer camp should provide a list of what the scout should have earned. They may give that to the actual scout or to the unit. Yes tigers can earn sports and academic belt loops (at least next year).

I don't think the Pro Marksman is the actual requirement. Although I am going to agree he probably earned it. My understanding of the requirements it must be completed at a district / council. Because of this the BAS doesn't actually publish the requirements on their website.

http://www.scouting.org/Home/CubScouts/CubScouts/UniformsAndAwards/sanda/asterisk.aspx

But some non official sites list them. But even these have slight differences

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/cub-scouts/acadsports/bbshooting.asp

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Cub_Scout_Sports_BB-Gun_Shooting_Award_Requirements#Belt_Loop_Requirements

At camp they are normally going to get pretty good range safety instructions. Depending on the camp and the instructor (and the time allowed) they may or may not get great shooting technique instruction. But I don't think that hitting the bulls eye 5 times is the requirement.

As far as when he will get it. That is up to the unit. The software we use did not award anything until bobcat was achieved. I don't know if that was a limitation of the software or policy that the Bobcat needs to be the first award. We had a kid join as a web 1 last year he earned some items prior to his bobcat but he ended up getting those once the bobcat was completed even though they were entered earlier.

His last day of camp is today, so I'll try and get in touch with someone who can tell me for sure what he earned, if anything. Thanks.

"Like I said..."

"""Yes tigers can earn sports and academic belt loops (at least next year)."" =Sydney Porter= This has been true since Tigers were invented, however , SHOULD they earn them?

I served as Archery RO for many CSDCs, and the last time, I was informed by the DCD that since the curriculum included all the Archery Pin requirements, the Tigers had participated, ergo, they earned the pin. When I pointed out that the curriculum was presented to me and I had not drawn it up, and that I did not ordinarily think that Tigers were mature enough to handle the equipment and the range as I would like a Pin holder to , I was told that was not germane, that if I followed the curriculum provided, every Cub would have earned the BL and the Pin. I told her that I thought the Pin should require more than merely participating and listening to my Scout assistants safety and history classes, that I would ordinarily ask Cubs desirous of the Pin to come to camp one day an hour early to help set up and stay an hour later to help take down, thereby fulfilling the requirement (which is "optional" it turns out) , I was told again that that was an "optional" requirement, and not necessary. Any Cub can (and will) earn the BL AND Pin.

So here is Cub Scouts, can't fail. In my previous camps, my DCD and I both agreed that the Pins required an extra effort on the Cub's part, that the BL might be "automatic", but not the Pins. Sic Gloria Mundi.

If your Cub (or their Den Walkers) bring back a list of "rank requirements and BLs earned", the responsible Cub Leader will review with the Cub what he actually remembers doing. The list may be overly optimistic. The curriculum may not have been followed. The Station Scouter may not have had time to do what he wanted to do.

Reward the Cub with what he earned, help him to earn the rest. The badge/rank will mean more to him, and he will learn to expect actually working for something he desires.

Just a thought: One of the things I did this year was have the Camp Counselor or Den Walker sign off my son's book for the things he completed at camp. This just made more sense...since I'm his Den Leader (again). This lets the Pack leadership know I'm not just signing everything off....and allows his scout book to have signatures other than just dad's. (not that he'll notice for 10-15 years)

If no-one has ever told you...it's a good idea to keep a word document listing all of the awards and when they were earned. 15 years from now, you'll have forgotten a LOT of those first couple of scouting years and what he did and where. A simple word doc makes it easy to job your memory.

I also suggest you place all of his scout books, hats, scarves and slides into a box each year. Boys don't take care of these things...but mom/dad can ensure he'll have them for years.

Question:

So your son is entering 1st Grade in the fall and you joined this Spring? That is what I am getting out of this.

If your done with Bobcat, you can get it awarded at the next Den Meeting. But Pack Meetings are the way to go. Make a HUGE HUGE DEAL ABOUT IT!

Beltloops...yup..anyone can earn them. Do for you.

Also there is a IOS (Apple) App called Packbadges. It is $4 and well worth it. Has all the requirements for just about everything. It's good.

Question:

So your son is entering 1st Grade in the fall and you joined this Spring? That is what I am getting out of this.

If your done with Bobcat, you can get it awarded at the next Den Meeting. But Pack Meetings are the way to go. Make a HUGE HUGE DEAL ABOUT IT!

Beltloops...yup..anyone can earn them. Do for you.

Also there is a IOS (Apple) App called Packbadges. It is $4 and well worth it. Has all the requirements for just about everything. It's good.

Yes, he is entering 1st grade in the fall. Our pack doesn't have regular meetings in summer, so the first pack meeting (or den meeting for that matter) will be in September. I don't know what the other new Tigers have done in regards to Bobcat, so we are just going to wait for regular meetings before we worry about awarding it. I will look into the Packbadges app, thanks.

You may want to consider when to award him the Bobcat. Typically I like to see the tigers working on the items together and earning bobcat together. Some of the parents may get annoyed if at the first meeting the den leaders kid walks away with a bunch of awards incuding Bobcat before they even understand the program.

IMHO one of the goals of the den leader is to get the scouts to come together as a den. Working on the requirements at the same time helps this. By no means do I intend to say that the your son did not earn the items and should not of gone to summer camp. It is a great thing that he did.

The other thing is with awarding Bobcat is there are several ceromonies. If you have all of the tigers on the same schedule you can award it as part of the ceromony. But if everyone is at a different pace it is harder to justify a ceromony at every pack meeting.

http://www.macscouter.com/ceremony/Bobcat.asp

You may want to consider when to award him the Bobcat. Typically I like to see the tigers working on the items together and earning bobcat together. Some of the parents may get annoyed if at the first meeting the den leaders kid walks away with a bunch of awards incuding Bobcat before they even understand the program. IMHO one of the goals of the den leader is to get the scouts to come together as a den. Working on the requirements at the same time helps this. By no means do I intend to say that the your son did not earn the items and should not of gone to summer camp. It is a great thing that he did. The other thing is with awarding Bobcat is there are several ceromonies. If you have all of the tigers on the same schedule you can award it as part of the ceromony. But if everyone is at a different pace it is harder to justify a ceromony at every pack meeting. http://www.macscouter.com/ceremony/Bobcat.asp
It's not just my son, there are two other boys. Three Tigers went to camp, three Tigers have been working on Bobcat together unofficially at camp and some pre-camp meetings we've had. When regular meetings start, all three boys will be awarded Bobcat.