Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Camping

    I am a Den Leader, avid camper.

    In recent discussions I have talked about the amount of camp outs me and my boys go one and I always hear the same thing over and over. "1 or 2 pack camp outs a year"

    WOW are you serious?

    My pack goes on a camp out every other month, we also do Polar Camp outs and last weekend I took them on a 5 mile hike.
    6 tigers
    2 wolves
    2 bears
    5 Webelos

    what gives ?

  • #2
    Originally posted by JasonG172 View Post
    I am a Den Leader, avid camper.

    In recent discussions I have talked about the amount of camp outs me and my boys go one and I always hear the same thing over and over. "1 or 2 pack camp outs a year"

    WOW are you serious?

    My pack goes on a camp out every other month, we also do Polar Camp outs and last weekend I took them on a 5 mile hike.
    6 tigers
    2 wolves
    2 bears
    5 Webelos

    what gives ?
    When I was a cub leader, one or two campouts was sufficient. The problem is that you can't train parents very well, like you can scouts. As a Boy Scout Leader, we try to do one campout a month. Usually end up doing 10 a year, with two Saturday outings.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by perdidochas View Post

      The problem is that you can't train parents very well, like you can scouts.
      Out of curiosity why do parents need trained?

      Comment


      • #4
        At our old pack in FL there were about 10-12 opportunities to camp per year (2 council, 3 or 4 put on by the zoo, sports team etc, and the remainder put on by the pack). Here in Ohio it is probably 7 or 8 (2 council, 2 with sports teams, 1 with the troop (webelos only), and 3 put on by the pack.

        Now I beleive that my nephew's pack only puts on one and they do not promote the other opportunities with council, sports teams etc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JasonG172 View Post

          Out of curiosity why do parents need trained?
          Leave No Trace, basic camping safety, courtesy to other campers, etc. Parents often don't want to learn a new way to do things.

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree. That being said when they see the kids lines up for the LNT march through the camping area they learn rather quickly there will be no trash left behind. So far I haven't had any real issues with parents. Really all they are to me is a vehicle to get my boys to a camp site, after that I could careless if I see most of them.

            Comment


            • #7
              ~~JasonG172, my son and & I will join your pack!

              For us it's a lack of volunteer energy, and some of the families just aren't campers or outdoors type people (well, if it's not on a soccer field)

              I would love to do half of what you are doing. Historically, we did maybe 3 or 4 camps or trips.... usually one is a big thing like a trip to sleep on the USS Yorktown, Seaworld, or the like. Maybe 1 or 2 state park for car camping/ RV camping, 1 council camp such as Cub O Ree.....
              More lately we are suffering form a lack of volunteer energy, and so we have done less.
              We did one car camping trip this year and one overnighter at Kennedy Space Center (recommended). I tried to push for participation at a council camp, and for the Bears and WEBELOS at the WEBELOS Akela weekend. No interest. Next year might be even less from the looks of it.

              Comment


              • #8
                We are in Chickasaw Council (Memphis area) but we are in Arkansas.
                We have the Cub o Ree and then we have the summer camp at Kia Kima and our council is pretty good about putting on events for the council like sleeping at Red Birds stadium (minor leagues for the Cards) also 1 over night at Mud Island. MAN I would love to sleep at Yorktown and SeaWorld!
                When our Pack camps so does our Troop, the Troop is relatively small.
                So many people say that you will run the parents off when you do so much stuff and I say I want a Quality Unit !!! My son has no issues sleeping in 30 degree weather, and when he gets to Boy Scouts he'll be Prepared.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JasonG172 View Post
                  I agree. That being said when they see the kids lines up for the LNT march through the camping area they learn rather quickly there will be no trash left behind. So far I haven't had any real issues with parents. Really all they are to me is a vehicle to get my boys to a camp site, after that I could careless if I see most of them.
                  I think what broke my enthusiasm for cub scout camping was the never ending battle with stopping styrofoam and plastic bottles from being thrown in the fire......

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another factor is $$$$$, cold weather gear is not cheap, and a couple hundred miles north makes a big difference in climate. A lot of parents also just don't like to camp for whatever reason. 5 miles for a lower level cub? 3 miles with my Bear and he thinks we are on the Bataan Death March. Enjoy your great group of Scouts, wish I had them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Man that sucks ^^^ we have a fire ring, either a Web II or Boy Scout is in charge of the fire. If you step in that ring or put something in the fire, well it is upon. I have only had to address it once. We have a LNT meeting the first morning of our first camp out with the new kids/parents and we lay down the rules. Oh yea, we correct the children because you KNOW the parents dont

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Here, weather is the main factor. Schedules are the second. For six months out of the year, hypothermia is a present risk, especially to 10 and under years old. For three months, frostbite is a present risk ... especially when boys are by a fire and not attending to those earlobes farthest away from the flames!

                        So most packs settle for a spring or fall weekend and summer resident camp.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well down here in he south it doesnt get that cold, which I know the forum covers a broad area but I am generally speaking for my area.
                          Logically I wouldnt ask kids or adults to camp in conditions like the above. We do the majority of our camping in the fall and spring because it is typically too dang hot to camp in the summer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JasonG172 View Post
                            Man that sucks ^^^ we have a fire ring, either a Web II or Boy Scout is in charge of the fire. If you step in that ring or put something in the fire, well it is upon. I have only had to address it once. We have a LNT meeting the first morning of our first camp out with the new kids/parents and we lay down the rules. Oh yea, we correct the children because you KNOW the parents dont
                            Sort of a moot point. I've been a Scouter with the Boy Scouts only for three years (after a year "dual enrolled" with Pack and Troop). I like boy-led. Much more fun than adult led.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by perdidochas View Post
                              Sort of a moot point. I've been a Scouter with the Boy Scouts only for three years (after a year "dual enrolled" with Pack and Troop). I like boy-led. Much more fun than adult led.
                              Nice, way to rub in. I have two more years of dual enrollment. Even then this group of Bears is not going to be ready, they have the attention span of a flea.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X